Palitoy landfill

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
spoons said:
If the location is definitely known it would be worth talking to the landowner and seeing if they'd be up for letting us dig for a share of the finds.

A JCB is only £300 a day so not a massive risk, for what will most likely be a load of yellowed figures, but it would make a great story. Anyone else in?

Yes, if it is a realistic proposition then I would be in, both financially to contribute towards eqpt and as a team member on the day. I think the assumption would have to be that we wont find anything but... you never know and regardless it would be a good adventure!

Joe

Grand Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
spoons said:
If the location is definitely known it would be worth talking to the landowner and seeing if they'd be up for letting us dig for a share of the finds.

A JCB is only £300 a day so not a massive risk, for what will most likely be a load of yellowed figures, but it would make a great story. Anyone else in?

Yes, if it is a realistic proposition then I would be in, both financially to contribute towards eqpt and as a team member on the day. I think the assumption would have to be that we wont find anything but... you never know and regardless it would be a good adventure!

Sign me up, especially if we are all going to the pub afterwards.

spoons

Grand Master
Let's do it - but not sure how much use a metal detector would be unless it's a pit full of model trem :lol:

I'll have a word with some colleagues and see if we can't pin point the site. The historic photos on Google Earth don't appear to show any obvious pits - could the housing estate be built on it?

x-pack

Grand Master
Holy ****! I thought you were all joking. Don't you need planning permission or something to start digging 40ft under ground? If anyone does this then you deserve a medal for serious hardcore services to vintage collecting :)

spoons

Grand Master
x-pack said:
Holy ****! I thought you were all joking. Don't you need planning permission or something to start digging 40ft under ground? If anyone does this then you deserve a medal for serious hardcore services to vintage collecting :)

If it's an agricultural field it's the equivalent of digging a big hole for some dead cows. But, the landowner would have to agree.

Next stop that Hong Kong harbour!

x-pack

Grand Master
spoons said:
x-pack said:

If it's an agricultural field it's the equivalent of digging a big hole for some dead cows. But, the landowner would have to agree.

Next stop that Hong Kong harbour!

Hong Kong harbour? Have we any divers? :lol:

joey said:
hi

they was 2 landfill,s mainone was in lount and the other one was in outskirts of repton/hartshourne all the loose ships and figs were dumped here must of been 1000,s of course they were all the rejects from the factory

I only live a few miles away and I no roughly the area they were dumped,i can remember this as kid, and I have visted the site a few times in my younger years

it has been years since,so things may of changed,not much I think as it is farmland now

joey

can you remember any more from this I sometimes get out that way on my tractor and was only at bretby the
other week! so I also know a few farmers who tend not to move to far so might have info.

poncho

Grand Master
count me in lets finance this project boys.

lets hope it doesnt cost us millions like the burmease spitfire dig :?

Richard_H

Grand Master
Sorry but I'm not buying most of this. I'm aware of the 2 landfills, possibly a 3rd. But I'm also aware of local children who would come across toys, pull their heads off and use them as catapult ammunition. How could this be possible if they're buried 40ft down? I think at best there'll be a lot of damaged plastic, paint condition?, and soggy cardboard

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
I'd be in.....just to own a peice of 'something vintage' from the endeavor would be enough. Could be a pipedream....but u never know

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I love the thought of doing this but, sadly, it's not going to happen. It's an awesome pipe dream over a pint or few.

It's a licenced waste site and even IF the owners (SITA) allowed us (which they wouldn't due to the hazards of digging 40ft down into unstable ground made up of waste and the possible environmental damage from the exposure to the atmosphere of 40 year old plastics, chemicals and god knows what else) then the local authority would block it. And as for plastic not degrading; green limbed Chewie, anyone?

Let's discuss it over a pint next Thursday at CE3 at which point I won't be nearly so sensible and be well up for it.

ScruffyLookingNH said:
I love the thought of doing this but, sadly, it's not going to happen. It's an awesome pipe dream over a pint or few.

It's a licenced waste site and even IF the owners (SITA) allowed us (which they wouldn't due to the hazards of digging 40ft down into unstable ground made up of waste and the possible environmental damage from the exposure to the atmosphere of 40 year old plastics, chemicals and god knows what else) then the local authority would block it. And as for plastic not degrading; green limbed Chewie, anyone?

Let's discuss it over a pint next Thursday at CE3 at which point I won't be nearly so sensible and be well up for it.

the postcode is wrong the site is on private land and you can still see the mounds! the chap that owns it
used to get people rabbiting and they would dig up action man stuff :wink:

x-pack

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Over a pint!? We'll be off to Ashby shovels and picks in hand! ;-)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom