Palitoy landfill

spoons

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
I love the thought of doing this but, sadly, it's not going to happen. It's an awesome pipe dream over a pint or few.

It's a licenced waste site and even IF the owners (SITA) allowed us (which they wouldn't due to the hazards of digging 40ft down into unstable ground made up of waste and the possible environmental damage from the exposure to the atmosphere of 40 year old plastics, chemicals and god knows what else) then the local authority would block it. And as for plastic not degrading; green limbed Chewie, anyone?

Let's discuss it over a pint next Thursday at CE3 at which point I won't be nearly so sensible and be well up for it.

I dig holes for a living, and we wouldn't dig 41 ft down (I doubt that figure is true - I assume they uised an old quarry but might have dug a bespoke pit)- we'd dig a relatively shallow test trench, check preservation, make up of the soil and take it from there. If its not on SITA land it would be easy to do with the land owners permission on the basis of a promise of SW millions.

In reality we probably would only find soggy cardboard and degraded figures but it would only be a day's work and the cost of a JCB to confirm that. If preservation was good (it is likely to be fairly anaerobic in places), then we can discuss excavating the whole pit :mrgreen:

Currymonster if you could let me have the landowner's details I am happy to make this work.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
spoons said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
I love the thought of doing this but, sadly, it's not going to happen. It's an awesome pipe dream over a pint or few.

It's a licenced waste site and even IF the owners (SITA) allowed us (which they wouldn't due to the hazards of digging 40ft down into unstable ground made up of waste and the possible environmental damage from the exposure to the atmosphere of 40 year old plastics, chemicals and god knows what else) then the local authority would block it. And as for plastic not degrading; green limbed Chewie, anyone?

Let's discuss it over a pint next Thursday at CE3 at which point I won't be nearly so sensible and be well up for it.

I dig holes for a living, and we wouldn't dig 41 ft down (I doubt that figure is true - I assume they uised an old quarry but might have dug a bespoke pit)- we'd dig a relatively shallow test trench, check preservation, make up of the soil and take it from there. If its not on SITA land it would be easy to do with the land owners permission on the basis of a promise of SW millions.

In reality we probably would only find soggy cardboard and degraded figures but it would only be a day's work and the cost of a JCB to confirm that. If preservation was good (it is likely to be fairly anaerobic in places), then we can discuss excavating the whole pit :mrgreen:

Currymonster if you could let me have the landowner's details I am happy to make this work.

You'd certainly have my financial backing. Maybe it's your destiny to discover these. :D
If they were packed in boxes and were still carded, there's a chance some of the figures might be OK. I would expect the odd drier pocket.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Make it happen...

Palitoy_Pit.jpg

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
currymonster6290 said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

the postcode is wrong the site is on private land and you can still see the mounds! the chap that owns it
used to get people rabbiting and they would dig up action man stuff :wink:

Oh well, in which case; have shovel will travel :D

I reckon we get permission to camp as well. Could be like the gold rush days of the old West; sitting round a fire, drinking beer, eating beans and farting whilst dreaming of buried treasure.

spoons

Grand Master
There are two quarries close by and both infilled by the 90s. One is currently the local landfill (the post code site - just down the road from where Google maps sites you) and would be one to steer clear of, the other to the north looks more promising but is that a site that Palitoy used?

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
I think Kickstarter will attract the wrong type of person who would just flip whatever was found for a huge profit. The rest of us would be doing it for the historical/collecting reason

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
spoons said:
There are two quarries close by and both infilled by the 90s. One is currently the local landfill (the post code site - just down the road from where Google maps sites you) and would be one to steer clear of, the other to the north looks more promising but is that a site that Palitoy used?

I wonder if the Palitoy employees might know. I'm sure Vectis would allow a trusted person to contact them direct to find out. Rich??

spoons

Grand Master
robpmarsh said:
I think Kickstarter will attract the wrong type of person who would just flip whatever was found for a huge profit. The rest of us would be doing it for the historical/collecting reason

thats a good point

Andyclarke said:
spoons said:

I wonder if the Palitoy employees might know. I'm sure Vectis would allow a trusted person to contact them direct to find out. Rich??

I can email Bob Brechin and see how good his memory is

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
spoons said:
robpmarsh said:

thats a good point

Andyclarke said:
spoons said:

I can email Bob Brechin and see how good his memory is

Excellent, if he doesn't know he might know someone who does. See what he has to say first before we influence his memories!

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
robpmarsh said:

no, kickstarter for the film....

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
One problem I see here, is the land owner could just turn around at the end of it all and say thanks for digging my stuff up now I'll take over!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
theforceuk said:
One problem I see here, is the land owner could just turn around at the end of it all and say thanks for digging my stuff up now I'll take over!

There's probably a proforma contract thing out on the interweb somewhere. Detectorists must use them all the time with landowners. We'd need something in writing anyway giving exclusive digging rights for a period of time otherwise it could turn into a free for all.

spoons

Grand Master
I seriously doubt that there will be anything that the landowner wants to keep :)

Bob Brechin said his Lount landfill quote was a bit of a throwaway one, but he also said the landowner wouldn't let us dig.

Over to currymonster for the location

As to forms, we have landowner consent forms at work that I could use, but no use without knowing who the landowner is

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Once you know the field then about £3 on the Land Registry website get you the owner's details. Local enquiries are likely to be necessary to locate the owner once you have the name. Surrounding farms and businesses will know.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
You lot are off your tits!

It must take someone deluded to persue the "Farmers Field Myth" :D .

Palitoy used two main landfills, Coalville that they literally filled full of plastic and cardboard from the packaging factory and Lount tip which is half a mile from the Finished Goods warehouse where they would dispose of end of line products.

Lount tip is where people would scale the fence and help themselves to perfectly good packaged toys just sitting there on the waste pile. However the old Lount Landfill site now has the M42 built across it, where the road has slightly sunk. The current Lount location is simply a recycling centre as all tips are in this day and age.

The only hole that I have discovered that was dug and filled is in Mountsorrel, this was dug and filled with Mainline trains. The Tax inspectors witnessed them being dumped in and then crushed by a digger before being infilled for write off purposes.

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Good thread though! Nothing wrong with a nice dream sequence!@
laurencedyer said:
You lot are off your tits!

It must take someone deluded to persue the "Farmers Field Myth" :D .

Palitoy used two main landfills, Coalville that they literally filled full of plastic and cardboard from the packaging factory and Lount tip which is half a mile from the Finished Goods warehouse where they would dispose of end of line products.

Lount tip is where people would scale the fence and help themselves to perfectly good packaged toys just sitting there on the waste pile. However the old Lount Landfill site now has the M42 built across it, where the road has slightly sunk. The current Lount location is simply a recycling centre as all tips are in this day and age.

The only hole that I have discovered that was dug and filled is in Mountsorrel, this was dug and filled with Mainline trains. The Tax inspectors witnessed them being dumped in and then crushed by a digger before being infilled for write off purposes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom