Comprehensive Guide to Baggies - Discussion (Hopefully)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Frunkstar said:
& another with the inclusion of the Euro-k

Feel free to input any time you like folks :lol: :lol:

I have a question (or two), which I'm sure you will be able to answer and will add some more knowledge to the thread/subject for others that like me find it so useful.

Clearly a single known example does not necessarily make a new classification/variant. It could be a factory error (including at the bag printing factory before it arrives at the figure producing factory that used the printed bags), someone processing/working on the line doing a seal differently or picking up a baggie from another line that was being made in the factories and therefore (as with loose variants) it isn't actually a different variant/classification. So, how many known examples do you see/record and then compare before assigning a new classification for the baggie type?

Do you set the number as a hard rule? Are there other guidelines/rules that you have in place to define both the classification of types and also the contents of mailers etc?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great work Frank, more baggies classified, more information on hand for reference for baggie collectors, you are providing a massive contribution to baggie collecting and to the hobby as a whole. Outstanding 8)

Frunkstar

Grand Master
SAVORY100 said:
Frunkstar said:

I have a question (or two), which I'm sure you will be able to answer and will add some more knowledge to the thread/subject for others that like me find it so useful.

Clearly a single known example does not necessarily make a new classification/variant. It could be a factory error (including at the bag printing factory before it arrives at the figure producing factory that used the printed bags), someone processing/working on the line doing a seal differently or picking up a baggie from another line that was being made in the factories and therefore (as with loose variants) it isn't actually a different variant/classification. So, how many known examples do you see/record and then compare before assigning a new classification for the baggie type?

Do you set the number as a hard rule? Are there other guidelines/rules that you have in place to define both the classification of types and also the contents of mailers etc?

Good question & a very relevant one!

I try to make it that I have seen & confirmed at least 3 examples of a baggie type before I consider it for classification, ideally all from different sources to be cautious, though on occasion this is not always possible, for example I just added the Palitoy-r to the line up & there are only 2 confirmed examples know, I have had detailed pictures sent to me of one residing in Australia (font / heat seals) & had the other was sent to me to inspect by hand so I could check the text & seals in hand &close up.

There are also a couple of other exceptions to the rule, but if a baggies is the sole example it MUST be able to be traced back to a Kenner or Palitoy source for provenance, the Palitoy-l for example which i got direct from an ex Palitoy worker in my first ever batch of baggies, though the baggie type has since been confirmed, the luke farm boy on the guide is the only known example of that figure in that baggie.

Factory errors do occur as we all well know, but this does not qualify for a separate classification under any circumstances &would be just regarded as such a factory error or oddity.

Hope thats the answers you were looking for

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Frunkstar said:
SAVORY100 said:
Frunkstar said:

Good question & a very relevant one!

I try to make it that I have seen & confirmed at least 3 examples of a baggie type before I consider it for classification, ideally all from different sources to be cautious, though on occasion this is not always possible, for example I just added the Palitoy-r to the line up & there are only 2 confirmed examples know, I have had detailed pictures sent to me of one residing in Australia (font / heat seals) & had the other was sent to me to inspect by hand so I could check the text & seals in hand &close up.

There are also a couple of other exceptions to the rule, but if a baggies is the sole example it MUST be able to be traced back to a Kenner or Palitoy source for provenance, the Palitoy-l for example which i got direct from an ex Palitoy worker in my first ever batch of baggies, though the baggie type has since been confirmed, the luke farm boy on the guide is the only known example of that figure in that baggie.

Factory errors do occur as we all well know, but this does not qualify for a separate classification under any circumstances &would be just regarded as such a factory error or oddity.

Hope thats the answers you were looking for

Perfect answer Frank and I'm sure, very reassuring for all collectors that there is such rigor behind the guide and the way you've constructed it - Cheers
Steve

Frunkstar

Grand Master
It's why it is & always will be a work in progress, it's take a lot of checking & cross checking before I am happy to included anything, I also only ever work on the guide when I am in the right fully focused & committed mind frame to do it, it's all or nothing, no half measures, it has to be right.

Hence why it happens in splurges, I am sitting on a hell of a lot more stuff that needs to be included in the guide, soon as I am focused & motivated I will start work again on it in earnest, some cracking new things to get included - coming soon :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
And that is why it's such a fantastic tool for baggie amateurs ( like me) and seasoned baggie collectors.
The drive and enthusiasm and sheer hard work that is put into the guide is massively appreciated.
I constantly reference the guide, which allows me to form an opinion on prospective buys out there, ensure I'm not looking at fakes, and be safe in the knowledge that things are kosher, which is such an important aspect of collecting in today's climate.
OCD is a great thing Frank :wink:

Big thanks from me for one :D

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Is there anything to suggest that baggies were (as well as mailers etc) part of the production process? I was thinking that maybe the figures and weapons may have been shipped to Kenner/Palitoy in baggies from the Far East... only came to mind as we often receive samples of gift product in a similar fashion as well as many small and easily scratched items come individually bagged into the warehouse too.

SOJ

Sith Lord
Apologies if this is a repeat question, I've search the forum and can't find the answer though.

I've got a palitoy mailer box for Dengar the one with D1108 printed on the box. What Baggie with the come with?

I picked up a Dengar palitoy A Baggie at the Xmas FF and wondered if it was a match to go with the mailer box?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Take a look at Franks ace guide :wink:

Click the link and scroll down to .....part 2 single figure mailers....

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15937&start=75

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
SOJ the Dengar baggie that came with my mailer box was this one, I have a photo of it somewhere here on this forum after it was cased and graded by UKG.

Attachments

• Deng.jpg
    Deng.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,496

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes it's a beauty, that is also on Franks guide if you scroll down the link, with a great write up as well,

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15937&start=75

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Here is the photo of mine after grading, you can see the number on the box quite clearly.

Attachments

• Dengar Palitoy Mailer 01.jpg
    Dengar Palitoy Mailer 01.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,525
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom