JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
Pomse2001 said:
Did any of you see if captain antilles did he look like captain antilles from a new hope ? I think the scenes with him was so fast in the new movie so I did not see his face correct :?

Good question Pomse, indeed it did all happen so fast.
The whole film needs another few viewings to fully absorb, well, everything!!!
I damn nearly choked up during the last few scenes.

Watched it on the 4DX screen in Sheffield last night and to be honest with everybody i wasn't 100% sure what to expect due to the reported reshoots, trailer material, and various reviews and comments.
Well it blew me away.
I wasn't expecting any of that and if I'm honest it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie at all for the first hour or so.
Sure it had droids and Stormies etcetera but as somebody has touched on before, the less euphoric score led to a darker, gritty war movie feel.

Ten of us went last night, ten of us thought it good, so so good. Even our lass who isn't a Star Wars fan raved all the way home.
Went to bed when we got in and after an hour I still couldn't sleep, then I heard "Paul, are you still awake?"
She also had trouble getting to sleep as the film had touched her on an emotional level which she said surprised her as although she is a very deep person she wasn't aware that SW could have that depth.
I think she is in love with Chirrut Imwe.
She also cried at Jyn and Andor's last scene saying it reminded her of Deep Impact.

I remember some right fannies on Rebelscum a couple of years back stating that Lucas had sold out and that Disney would dilute and ruin the SW franchise.
Kathleen Kennedy even commented last week that they were taking quite a risk with Rogue One but I reckon they've pulled a bit of a masterstroke.
Don't get me wrong, I love the OT, always have always will but if this is the kind of direction they are willing to go then the future of our favourite saga will be very long and very lucrative.

Back to the disappointing soundtrack, which to be fair may grow on me, the guy only had 4 and a half weeks to compose it and it really does show IMO.

Really can't wait for Episode 8 and the Han Solo story but they have a quite a bit to live up to now.
Having different directors for each movie, another good call by Lucasfilm/Disney.

I am with the Force, and the Force is with me.

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Well... just got back from watching.

Enjoyed it - but have come away feeling disappointed. TFA was very emotional for me, and I came away feeling elated like I was 6 years old. R1 left me feeling a bit meh - like I should have enjoyed it more, but something was missing. Which is a shame as I was amazed by the trailers.

Hoping I will be more enthusiastic after a second viewing. But I do stress, I did enjoy it. It's Star Wars.

Positives:
Vader scene at the end (even though I knew something similar was happening due to the leak of wall art some months back).
Vaders temple, though I would have liked to have seen more of the para-Olympian - though thinking about it maybe less was more as CGI can kill scenes.
THAT scene when the hyperspace goes wrong for the rebels. Something I've always wanted to see.
The acting was really good.
The subtle nods to the original - and the not so subtle ones.
Miserable robot - it was like looking in a mirror.
The underplayed mention of Ben.
The scenes all looked stunning and filmed beautifully - really really good.
The slow paced start - lets face it the Original was well slow for the most part. I kind of liked that.
Bail Organa.
Tarkin.
Battle scenes - be it troops or ships.
It's more Star wars.
Having the force more mystical and touching on faith.

Negatives:
Tarkin - he was a positive but there's too much of him, the more you see him the worse he looked.'
Leia - as soon as I saw Tarkin I knew this would happen. She had the eyes of a stoner, and looked bad. I didn't know whether to cringe or vom in my mouth. Dog-****. Computer game cut scene
The brief flash of Rogue One - the whole lack of anything was a bit of a downer for me - seemed odd.
The score - what happened? Some of it was ok - but mostly seemed out of place and an odd mash-up at times.
Darth Vader - aside from not sounding good, in the non action scenes he looked and sounded like a cosplayer - even his gesturing seemed limp. Not at all ominous or imposing.
Naming of planets - I don't mind seeing these things pop up, but it seemed odd as they all came in what felt like a 2 minute spell.
Making a point of having Red 5 killed - felt like it was meant to leave a gap for Luke. They all died - so room for a whole new squadron lol.

Far better than the prequals - but lacked the charm of TFA.

Happy (some really good stuff) and underwhelmed (I was hoping for more) - hoping it will be a grower.

We got a glimpse of what Vader should be - and now I want a proper Vader movie, which is something I didn't want before.

mumbo

Sith Lord
Wow that was an awesome watch/film 8)

Gritty, emotional, dark and characters that I could warm to much more so than TFA. I liked TFA but it was wrapped up in a huge bundle of nostalgia, whereas R1 felt subtly disconnected whilst still being intrinsically linked if that makes sense.

Had no idea about Tarkin being in it and was pleasantly surprised with the CGI and having Leia receive the plans at the end was also a nice touch, Dr Evazan, Walrus Man, C3PO and R2 were all nice surprises.

I thought it clever too how they solved the Death Star's annoying weakness which now brings a different perspective to the ending of SW and how it was achievable, brilliant.

Thoroughly pleased indeed :D

Oh and the kids loved it too :)

chiffy

Sith Lord
Having read all of the comments upto date, these are my latest thoughts.....

In my opinion, Leia was as good as we were gonna get. Infact, the few seconds we saw the ' new ' face seemed fine, if you put into context that you wouldnt know the difference between that Fisher when moving onto a new hope if you werent star wars nerds like us so i reckon lets just, as my mate always used to tell me when moaning about **** in TPM, be believers!
I also picked up on the lack of Ben Kenobi. We heard Bail saying he would trust ' her ' with his life when talking about contacting an old jedi friend. As the film wore on he was on obviously on about giving the plans to Leia wasnt he? Surely SHE didnt even know she was a. Anakins daughter and b. a jedi?? I presumed early doors he meant Ben Kenobi unless i've totally lost the plot and turned off at the wrong junction somewhere? Discuss...... :mrgreen:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
chiffy said:

In my opinion, Leia was as good as we were gonna get. Infact, the few seconds we saw the ' new ' face seemed fine, if you put into context that you wouldnt know the difference between that Fisher when moving onto a new hope if you werent star wars nerds like us so i reckon lets just, as my mate always used to tell me when moaning about **** in TPM, be believers!
I also picked up on the lack of Ben Kenobi. We heard Bail saying he would trust ' her ' with his life when talking about contacting an old jedi friend. As the film wore on he was on obviously on about giving the plans to Leia wasnt he? Surely SHE didnt even know she was a. Anakins daughter and b. a jedi?? I presumed early doors he meant Ben Kenobi unless i've totally lost the plot and turned off at the wrong junction somewhere? Discuss...... :mrgreen:

You misheard, mate. Bail was asked about contacting his old Jedi friend (who he referred to as "he") who was clearly Ben. In the same conversation the transportation of the plans was discussed and it was at this point Bail said he would "trust her" with his life, clearly referencing Leia.

Heith

Padawan
ScruffyLookingNH said:
chiffy said:

You misheard, mate. Bail was asked about contacting his old Jedi friend (who he referred to as "he") who was clearly Ben. In the same conversation the transportation of the plans was discussed and it was at this point Bail said he would "trust her" with his life, clearly referencing Leia.

I took that as referencing Ashoka Tano from the cartoons?

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Just seen it for a second time. Saw it in 3D this time and generally the 3D version didn't offer enough to warrant it.

I'm falling in love with this film which I haven't felt since Jedi. Could easily pop back to the cinema now and watch it again.

Spotted the General Sindulla reference and the Ghost this time which were nice touches. Haven't seen Chopper yet.

Although the Vader scene at the end is awesome I think it blows continuity a bit as why wouldn't Vader just board the Tantive IV at the start of Episode IV knowing that he can kick the crew's butt anyway ?

Just wondering when I can slope off to watch it again over the weekend. Might be a bit tight but I might have to console myself with seeing Warwick Davis in Panto instead :)

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Found a link saying that Chopper appears on the left-hand side of the screen when the radio operator is running up to Mon Mothma. Will have to look out for that the next time I go.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
jedi_mister said:
Just seen it for a second time. Saw it in 3D this time and generally the 3D version didn't offer enough to warrant it.

I'm falling in love with this film which I haven't felt since Jedi. Could easily pop back to the cinema now and watch it again.

Spotted the General Sindulla reference and the Ghost this time which were nice touches. Haven't seen Chopper yet.

Although the Vader scene at the end is awesome I think it blows continuity a bit as why wouldn't Vader just board the Tantive IV at the start of Episode IV knowing that he can kick the crew's butt anyway ?

Just wondering when I can slope off to watch it again over the weekend. Might be a bit tight but I might have to console myself with seeing Warwick Davis in Panto instead :)

I thought this about the Vader scene, but when you think about it all good villains learn from there mistakes. If you see Vader you run and I like how every time someone dies they have just done enough to keep the story going.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
chiffy said:

Totally agree

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
There are quite a few continuity errors if you drill down into it. The last scene with Vader going nuts into the first scene of anh where he does the whole "if this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador" doesn't really work if he already knows tantive 4 is the ship he just saw leave.

All the tie fighter variants flying around that suddenly disappear from the fleet.

The fact they demonstrate the Death Star on Alderaan, but they have already been loosing shots off with it left right and centre.

But this is all irrelevant given that the films have nearly 40 years between them. I think they have done as good a job as I would have hoped on this film. I don't hate the prequels, and I enjoyed tfa, but for me this is the best offering since Jedi, and I do feel the family silver is in safe hands.

As grant always says, it's an amazing time to be a Star Wars fan.

yoda

Sith Lord
Just got to see it yesterday and loved it.
At least I now know what juiced up those Lightsabers! Something I always wondered :)

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Mr-shifter said:
There are quite a few continuity errors if you drill down into it. The last scene with Vader going nuts into the first scene of anh where he does the whole "if this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador" doesn't really work if he already knows tantive 4 is the ship he just saw leave.

All the tie fighter variants flying around that suddenly disappear from the fleet.

The fact they demonstrate the Death Star on Alderaan, but they have already been loosing shots off with it left right and centre.

But this is all irrelevant given that the films have nearly 40 years between them. I think they have done as good a job as I would have hoped on this film. I don't hate the prequels, and I enjoyed tfa, but for me this is the best offering since Jedi, and I do feel the family silver is in safe hands.

As grant always says, it's an amazing time to be a Star Wars fan.

Your first point on continuity could be argued that they would have wiped the flight history and would most probably haved logged with the senate that they were on a diplomatic mission with Leia on board so Captain Antilles would then be trying to hold up that pretence. The fact that Vader continued to kill him backs up his frustration that he knows the ship came from Scariff.

Totally agree with the tie fighter & U-Wing continuity but Disney has to make money :)

In terms of the Death Star already being tested on Jeddha and Scariff. It's different in ANH because Tarkin clearly states "I think it is time we demonstrate the full power of this station". That ties in nicely with Rogue One where they'd only tested it on cities.

adampbooth

Padawan
Nick_IoW said:
Well... just got back from watching.

Enjoyed it - but have come away feeling disappointed. TFA was very emotional for me, and I came away feeling elated like I was 6 years old. R1 left me feeling a bit meh - like I should have enjoyed it more, but something was missing. Which is a shame as I was amazed by the trailers.

Hoping I will be more enthusiastic after a second viewing. But I do stress, I did enjoy it. It's Star Wars.

Positives:
Vader scene at the end (even though I knew something similar was happening due to the leak of wall art some months back).
Vaders temple, though I would have liked to have seen more of the para-Olympian - though thinking about it maybe less was more as CGI can kill scenes.
THAT scene when the hyperspace goes wrong for the rebels. Something I've always wanted to see.
The acting was really good.
The subtle nods to the original - and the not so subtle ones.
Miserable robot - it was like looking in a mirror.
The underplayed mention of Ben.
The scenes all looked stunning and filmed beautifully - really really good.
The slow paced start - lets face it the Original was well slow for the most part. I kind of liked that.
Bail Organa.
Tarkin.
Battle scenes - be it troops or ships.
It's more Star wars.
Having the force more mystical and touching on faith.

Negatives:
Tarkin - he was a positive but there's too much of him, the more you see him the worse he looked.'
Leia - as soon as I saw Tarkin I knew this would happen. She had the eyes of a stoner, and looked bad. I didn't know whether to cringe or vom in my mouth. Dog-****. Computer game cut scene
The brief flash of Rogue One - the whole lack of anything was a bit of a downer for me - seemed odd.
The score - what happened? Some of it was ok - but mostly seemed out of place and an odd mash-up at times.
Darth Vader - aside from not sounding good, in the non action scenes he looked and sounded like a cosplayer - even his gesturing seemed limp. Not at all ominous or imposing.
Naming of planets - I don't mind seeing these things pop up, but it seemed odd as they all came in what felt like a 2 minute spell.
Making a point of having Red 5 killed - felt like it was meant to leave a gap for Luke. They all died - so room for a whole new squadron lol.

Far better than the prequals - but lacked the charm of TFA.

Happy (some really good stuff) and underwhelmed (I was hoping for more) - hoping it will be a grower.

We got a glimpse of what Vader should be - and now I want a proper Vader movie, which is something I didn't want before.

I was about to type my thoughts but then I read the above by Nick and its identical to the way I felt about Rogue One.

I also thought it was just unnecessary and a little forced and drawn out to show each individual character's demise when the entire base was going to be wiped out anyway. It just felt like filler to me.

Like Nick, I must stress that I DID enjoy the film overall but something just didn't click for me like it did with TFA. Looking forward to a second viewing as I think I'll probably enjoy it more with lower expectations.

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
I thought it was great. My only negatives were the music the Darth Vaders sexy disco 70s swagger at his temple.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom