JUST BACK FROM CINEMA THREAD - ROGUE ONE - SPOILERS ALERT!!!

_Lee_

Sith Lord
If any film was going to bridge part of the gap before ANH this is it. Gareth Edwards has done a great job in this, and i feel that we have finally found a film with the look and feel of the OT. I have to admit that i liked this much more than TFA, and it left me with a feeling ive not had in....

Amazing nod to Cushing, his family must be honoured to see that. I didnt think Leia was bad, she was a horny little minx back in the day :D Ive a funny feeling that Vader is what made us go all giddy. I also loved the end by the way of using the run up to ANH.

Loved it 8)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yep, just after he runs outside to tell her the news, you can see Chopper exiting the building as well on the left of the screen. Very cool.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
_Lee_ said:
If any film was going to bridge part of the gap before ANH this is it. Gareth Edwards has done a great job in this, and i feel that we have finally found a film with the look and feel of the OT. I have to admit that i liked this much more than TFA, and it left me with a feeling ive not had in....

Amazing nod to Cushing, his family must be honoured to see that. I didnt think Leia was bad, she was a horny little minx back in the day :D Ive a funny feeling that Vader is what made us go all giddy. I also loved the end by the way of using the run up to ANH.

Loved it 8)

I agree, this is the film I've been waiting for a story submerged in the rule of the Empire not tied to the Skywalker family.

Done very well.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just been to see it, not much to add that hasn't already been said. The score was poor, i thought Tarkin was really well done. My missus hadn't realised he was CG'd until i told her. I thought it fitted in really well given the time frame it was working with. I wasn't a fan of Vader's scenes at all. The actor playing him didn't fit the costume and his fight scene was pretty underwhelming IMO. They seem to struggle to strike a balance between underwhelming and ridiculously over the top. Saying that Disney have really shown GL how to make a SW film. I hope he watches this and realises just what monstrosities the prequels were.

Ian_C said:
Been a while since I have posted on here, as I had really kind of hit a low point in my fandom over the last year, combined with a shitty year personally.

Ohh and good to see you back Ian, although I suspect you spent a year typing that essay out. :lol:

itfciain

Grand Master
Finally got to watch it this morning. Had seen most people were big fans and to be honest, not sure what spoilers could have been given as we all know the ending

Loved all the nods to the OT - Wally, DSD, R2, C3PO, Imperial Gunners etc - and the bits from the cockpits were great. I thought that there were loads of subtle references that maybe some of us in the hobby might think were a bit corny but to people coming back to the film having not really been immersed in Star Wars since they watched it as a kid would love those

Tarkin was amazing - I am not sure I get why people are knocking that - the fact that this is possible in this day an age is pretty much sci-fi itself (watch some of the Black Mirror episodes to see what I mean) - the Leia was a bit cheesier but again better that anything else I have seen on the big screen in terms of recreating past characters

I didn't really notice the music that much - that might be a negative but to be honest it isn't really why I watch films so I wasn't bothered

Overall I am glad to see it won over a lot of people - considering all the doom and gloom around Disney taking on the franchise then I think that they have done a bloody good job with the first two films they have put out

yoda

Sith Lord
scooternick did you mean Jango?? I also spotted the helmet! But when I think about it, hes gone so could it be another bounty hunter?? Well spotted I forgot about that. I am going to watch it again this week so will get a better look :)

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
This is a nice look at some of the Imperial troopers and hardware in Rogue One. Someone mentioned about the AT-AT being destroyed easy compared to Hoth, and this explains it (these ones are primarily for Cargo with weaker armour and no chin guns, not assault)...

Md1EBef.png

XRe1LmA.png

vVNsivW.png

qAP2Bkr.png

jzAgESn.png

liSzwys.png

GIuCmYW.png

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Sorry, yeah Jango. It was hard to make out the colour of the helmet?
yoda said:
scooternick did you mean Jango?? I also spotted the helmet! But when I think about it, hes gone so could it be another bounty hunter?? Well spotted I forgot about that. I am going to watch it again this week so will get a better look :)

yoda

Sith Lord
scooternick said:
Sorry, yeah Jango. It was hard to make out the colour of the helmet?
yoda said:

Yes it was hard to make out the colour. But remember what happened to Jango so it can't be him?? It must be someone else'?? But your right it looked like him its interesting.
Could it possibly be Boba Fett???

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I really enjoyed it, I was worried i was getting too old and miserable after I thought TFA was average but, at least for me, star wars is back with a bang!

I thought it had a solid story (no silly coincidences to keep things going like most modern films do) actual good acting and I'm so glad it treated the audience as adults. They didn't have to die but the fact they did makes ANH all the more poignant.

Fave bits for me was the battle at the end, I honestly recon it's the best yet, the right amount of cameos and nods without being ott (didn't really need the droids bit their moment was breif). The production design was epic though and it felt so star wars, right down to side burns and tashes!

Tarkin should have been left with a smaller role though, if your going to cg a main character it has to be perfect and sadly he wasn't. The score was weak too but both of those I can live with.

I did notice a couple of cameos no one's mentioned yet. Darths castle is very similar to the one mcquarrie sketched up back in the day and the transport Jin is in when she gets rescued looked the same as Joe Johnsons concept atat before they gave it legs.

Can't wait to see it again.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Cool. Did anyone notice any prequel stuff in there? I half expected to see an old battle droid or something walking around in the background.

I saw Doug Chiang did the production design and since he was responsible for most of the design on the prequels I was hoping for a sly nod here or there.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
Cool. Did anyone notice any prequel stuff in there? I half expected to see an old battle droid or something walking around in the background.

I saw Doug Chiang did the production design and since he was responsible for most of the design on the prequels I was hoping for a sly nod here or there.

Vader's castle on Mustafar and the returning characters of Bail Organa and Mon Mothma made for a bit of connective tissue with the prequels. Mon Mothma's scene in ROTS was cut in the theatrical release but here is the deleted scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zws76jmbdDc

I also caught a little glimpse of Coruscant out the window in the brief flashback where you see Krennic with Galen as an Imperial and his family.

Dark vador

Padawan
Well seen it twice and is it just me or why are there 2 darth vader tie fighter along with 2 standard tie fighter and one shuttle in the shot of the boarding party? I thought vader tie fighter was unique????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom