A little help - don't want to accept a return request

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Hi,

A buyer has received the item I sold, as described, but wants a refund/return... help:

I listed it as a used item (running watch) and took photographs of what was available to buy. On that basis the sale was made.
but... if it were new it would've come with a USB stick as well, so the buyer has now requested a refund because the USB was not sent to them... The USB stick was not in my listing because I don't have it and it wasn't for sale. The watch works perfectly well without the stick and you can buy a stick for a few quid, if you want one...

I've replied to their request message explaining that I'm not offering a return and refund, but I can't see how to actually decline the return. Can I reject their request somehow?
It says if I don't sort the issue by 15/1/17 I'll have the money taken from PayPal (?!?!?) did I read that right?

What is the best thing to do next? Report the buyer? Call eBay?

Cheers
Steve

Lindo

Sith Lord
Even if you state no returns it makes no odds mate, if a buyer requests a return ebay nearly always side with the buyer which is a bloody joke tbh, best you can do really is accept the return and then relist it and state it has no usb, spose another option would be to buy a usb for a couple of quid and send it to him to shut the fool up. Hope you sort it.

Richard_H

Grand Master
What has the buyer selected as his reason?

In my experience you've little chance with this one. Insist he sends the item back before the refund.

itfciain

Grand Master
Yes, I am afraid you can write what you like about returns in your text but eBay will make you accept returns no matter what. Your best bet is to comply and be as nice as you can with the buyer otherwise on top of everything, you will get a neg as well

Make sure they open up a case via eBay first - that way you will at least get your fees returned - depending on which option they chose then you may have to pay the return costs as well - if they just say they have changed their mind then they will have to but if they claim it not as described then you will have to

As a safety precaution I would also video opening up the package when you get it back in case they put something else in there instead - if you have the original receipt then keep that and check that the weights are about the same

I am afraid this is one of the down side of eBay - the buyer is always right (even when they are very wrong)

lejackal

Grand Master
Unfortunately they pretty much have you over a barrel, listing as used only covers the fact it is a used item, you would need to have stated there was no usb despite the lack of us in the pics.
Best advice has already been given bar one thing, once resolved block the buyer so they can't bid on your stuff in the future.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Sellers rarely have no come back these days nearly always on the side of the buyer un fair really.

indianawars

Sith Lord
eBay tends to toss aside whatever your T&C policy's are in favour for theirs. It's bullshit to be honest.

This is worth a read.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

This might be the part that applies to you.
(The rules change with private sellers

If you're buying second-hand goods from a private seller (someone who doesn't sell goods for all or part of their living), your rights are nowhere near as strong as when buying from a shop.

The only protection is that it's correctly described and the owner has the right to sell it. Here, it really is a case of caveat emptor or "let the buyer beware".

So if the seller says nowt or little about the goods and you buy it, then that's it. Even if it's shoddy, you weren't mis-sold, so have no comeback. Though if they lie to you – you do.)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Thanks all for your help and advice...

I woke this morning ready to offer the return, but went for a run... when got back I had some Good news! The night before I wrote a strongly worded reply making it clear I had no intention of accepting a return.... The reply I got today was that the chap had read that reply and buckled and cancelled the return request. RESULT!

I've actually reported the buyer for trying to return the item because it didn't contain something that was never even listed of for sale, just because he's really pissed me off :roll:

Still expecting the Neg, but don't care about that myself... If I see a neg on a profile that's a low feedback score and a relatively new seller I will probe further, if it's one on someone with decent and long term feedback (I have over 1100 positive across 15 years), I'll usually take a cursory look at best.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Glad it's sorted mate, but I think you would have won this one in the long run.

Assuming you're a private seller, described it as used and did not in anyway suggest the USB was included the buyer does not have a leg to stand on. I would not have trusted the resolution process to come out in your favour but a call to customer services should have sorted it.

Yes eBay do tend to side with the buyer but rules iz rules and you were in the right from the get go. Anyway, moot point as all sorted :)

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Good to read you got the situation resolved Steve.

In my view, eBay is close to having had its day for non business sellers. I have personally been a member for 15 years and not ever once had a negative. But I have experienced two really out of order returns in the past few months that have pissed me right off and make me feel like closing my seller account. Everything about their policies favour the huge amount of total Bellends who don't think twice about ****ing people over.

I could no longer recommend eBay to anyone for much at all.

Once, I would have said quite positive things about them, not now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom