The Revised Kenner baggie Guide

Frunkstar

Grand Master
THE REVISED KENNER BAGGIE GUIDE

Hello all, I would like to start by saying that the old SWCA baggie guide is excellent & I use it myself frequently, this guide is not done to undermine the old guide in any way shape or form, it is aimed at complimenting it & as a bit of an update with a few revisions & alterations as well as more info on previously unclassified or miss-classified baggie types, also a more in depth look at some of the font types & with luck in time also heat seals.

Please note that this guide is for documenting / reference ONLY no discussion please so it remains an easy to navigate guide for all.

For discussion regarding the items on this thread & any help in construction of the guide please may I ask that you post in the thread linked below thank you -

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15934

& for further more comprehensive details on all baggies including non Kenner issued ones, please check the main guide here -

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15937

Previous kenner baggie guide (SWCA) here -

http://theswca.com/images-speci/baggiefeature/baggiefeature.html

I hope to make a little headway on a rather (to date) elusive subject matter, that being minor font variations & sub-classing them- wish me luck on that one though.

I will be breaking this up in to a few categories as follows -

Star Wars era baggies

Empire Strikes back era baggies

Return Of The Jedi era baggies

POTF era Baggie(s)

& possibly a further section to cover oddities like ESB-h baggie variations of which there are many - not yet confirmed or decided fully (bear with me) :lol:

I will be adding further info to this post & the following sections below as & when time permits, I would appreciate your patience whilst the guide is being constructed.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
logo-sw_zpskkym4twh.png

STAR WARS ERA BAGGIES's -

Please do bear in mind the new /revised classifications will not be in release year order as per the SWCA guide, no way of doing that without clearing the table & starting from scratch which would throw everything into turmoil & IMO never work, so baggies like SW-f & g have just been slotted in, in letter order after SW-e to keep things simple.

IMGP0319.jpg

IMGP0727_zpsea01mnet.jpg

SW-a - Small font version Crisp bag / Tape sealed

SW-a%20Andrew%20Neo1_zpsij32tt8d.jpg

SW-aFontcrop_zpsxcetwdp4.jpg

SW-a - Large font version Crisp bag / Tape sealed

SW-a no font.jpg

SW-a No font version crisp bag / Tape Sealed - as far as I am aware this baggie type was only used for Chewbacca & only in "some" of the early bird sets

SW-b%20Samll2_zpsbsxtell5.jpg

IMGP0741_zpsac5cb4xi.jpg

SW-b Soft Bag / Heat sealed

SW-c_zpsw0rpeec4.jpg

IMGP0737_zpsdfyjqvat.jpg

Sw-c - Kenner / Genral Mills - same as the SW-g but with Horizontal logo Crisp bag / Heat sealed

SW-b%20Small_zps5sbqfcow.jpg

IMGP0724_zpszsaysamj.jpg

SW-d - Small font version Soft Bag / Heat sealed

Additional / Pending - there are 2 versions of the small font SW-d (printing variation) the font types are almost identical but the actual print impression differs slightly, one being a solid print with more defined straight edges, the other (the type shown above) has a more textured appearance under magnification.

IMAGE REQUIRED

Sw-b%20Large_zpstpjtxrd7.jpg

IMGP0723_zps0thvf7ew.jpg

SW-d - Large font version Soft bag / Heat sealed

IMGP0722_zpsullyrdkk.jpg

Side by side comparison shot of both known SW-d font variations Soft bag / Heat sealed

IMGP5740_zps53effd30.jpg

IMGP9359.jpg

SW-e%20font_zpspfklfllf.jpg

SW-e - Often mistaken for palitoy & rather an oddity, only 4 known figures ever came in this baggie type with Walrus Man / Greedo & Snaggletooth being Horizontal logo & the Hammerhead a Vertical logo Crisp bag / Heat sealed AMENDMENT (31/1/17) - a Walrus man has also now been found with the vertical font

SW-f_zpslx2wocjl.jpg

IMGP0740_zpsc20bwza4.jpg

SW-f - Previously IMO Incorrectly classed as SW-b on the SWCA guide & Just as incorrectly Palitoy-k on the Comprehensive guide here Soft bag / Heat sealed

Palitoy-k_zps9afafbo6.jpg

IMGP0744_zpsgsw1e86v.jpg

IMGP0742_zpsfriyl3eg.jpg

Above showing a Kenner SW-f against a Palitoy-k to show why they have so often been confused as the same baggie type, font's are very similar as are the baggies, the font on the Palitoy is about 10mm shorter in length than it's Kenner counterpart & the Kenner has sharper / cleaner printing & straighter edged font Both Palitoy-k & SW-f are Soft bags / Heat sealed

SW-g_zpswxmmlcrj.jpg

_1_zpsjuu2mg6h.jpg

IMGP0737_zpsdfyjqvat.jpg

SW-g - Kenner / General Mills - Same logo as the SW-c but with Vertical font & IMO a different baggie type altogether so reclassified, Previously IMO incorrectly classed as SW-c. Crisp bag / Heat sealed, my reasoning is to try to maintain the flow & feel of the old SWCA guide, example - if the ESB-a & ESB-f baggies are identical bar one having horizontal font & the other vertical, then surely these also need their own individual classifications.

As far as I am aware this baggie is specific to just the 2 figures shown above, the Hammerhead specific to a run of the Canadian creature cantina (speculation) & the Luke for the EB set's know as "transition sets" now the Luke is also available in both DT & regular saber in this baggie style

Last edited:

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Kenner-ESB-ToyLine-logo_zpszeihzzam.png

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK ERA BAGGIES

In this section again I hope to tackle some previously undocumented font variations as well as clear zoomed in photos of the actual font's beneath each baggie type

IMGP1802_zps3fbxpxmd.jpg

ESB-a - both 1st & 2nd issue as well as alternate font colour on the 2nd issue type shown above - soft bag heat sealed

IMGP1803_zpsvyhivv2p.jpg

Close up of all 3 side by side

IMGP1788_zpszfam444x.jpg

ESB-a - 1st & 2nd issues side by side - 1st issue on the right

IMGP1789_zpsq3fuo1uo.jpg

Close up of them side by side, this time 1st issue on the left

IMGP1795_zpsb6klgt5e.jpg

2nd issue - both font colours shown light blue on left dark blue on right

IMGP1790_zpsq742iakp.jpg

ESB-a - 1st issue font

IMGP1791_zpsypd3lvmd.jpg

ESB-a - 2nd issue (Light blue) font

IMGP1794_zps3wwidyo9.jpg

ESB-a - 2nd issue (dark blue) font

IMGP1796_zpsutxry0bp.jpg

ESB-b - only know to have existed in the Special offer (1st issue bounty hunters) Darth Vader collectors case ( IG88 / Bossk / Fett ) - soft bag heat sealed

New info - the collectors case has been found on multiple occasions with the IG88 in the 1st issue ESB-a baggie, so there was some variation, making the IG88 one of the rarest known baggies (in the ESB-b baggie)

IMGP1797_zpshnu6cgtw.jpg

ESB-b - font close up

IMGP1798_zpsvzfoastr.jpg

ESB-c - above showing both font types (large & small) the small font would seem to be the earlier issue, Small font on the left - crisp bag tape sealed

IMGP1799_zpsninc6vvb.jpg

ESB-c - 1st issue Small font zoom

IMGP1801_zpsrsteb2pm.jpg

ESB-c - 2nd issue Large font zoom

IMGP1804_zpsifpyu7qn.jpg

ESB-d - pretty much identical to ESB-c large font version but heat sealed rather than taped - crisp bag heat sealed

IMGP1805_zpsd8pvxzzi.jpg

ESB-d - Font zoom

IMGP1815_zpstgksfumc.jpg

ESB-e - Kenner / General Mills logo - Soft bag heat sealed

IMGP1816_zpse0urghtn.jpg

ESB-e - Font zoom

IMGP1806_zpszs5tsanu.jpg

ESB-f - pretty much just a vertical rather than horizontal version of the ESB-a shown above, Soft bag heat sealed

IMGP1807_zpsklwq7ecu.jpg

ESB-f - font zoom

IMGP1821_zpsyktc88vb.jpg

ESB-g - Both font types shown above - V1 & V2, the V1 has Chunky text & the kenner box shows on the right hand side of the Made in China text, the V2 Has thin text & the Kenner box shows to the left of the Made in China text, or has on all examples I have seen of each style to date. both V1 & V2 - Soft bag heat sealed

IMGP1818_zpsppc4neuz.jpg

ESB-g - V1

IMGP1822_zps4wbqwqwr.jpg

ESB-g - V2

IMGP1808%20-%20Copy_zpsmqwwq8of.jpg

ESB-h baggies all shown above as they are classed to date, I am going to split these all up in to defined classification to avoid future confusion (I hope)

IMGP1812_zps5v5ex9ab.jpg

ESB-h- the regular style ESB-h we are all familiar with, the most commonly substitute baggie used in MP's ( soft bag single heat seal )

IMGP1824_zpslmyldjgl.jpg

ESB-h- regular - variation???? ( soft bag single heat seal ), just to throw things out of whack a little ( oh boy ), I have noted there is also a slightly smaller version of this baggie type, in fact so small the figures are laid in the baggie diagonally as they will not fit vertically, at this time I am unclear as to if this is indeed a Kenner issued baggie at all or some obscure Euro possibly meccano?? baggie as yet unclassified, though could also just as easily be a standard ESB-h just smaller, I only have 2 available to cross check with so bit of a shot in the dark really - both the ones I have are no coo variants, hence my thinking they "could be" euro rather then kenner, but I thought this info should really be covered.

Note this smaller version has not been included in the group shot line up above till further investigation has been done - if you have one like this I would like to hear from you

New info as of 5.11.21 - the smaller type has been confirmed to be of Euro origins & has been reclassified under the Euro-g designation on the non kenner guide

IMGP1809_zpsi2lhbyut.jpg

ESB-i - ( Ex ESB-h - extra wide baggie ) now this one is about twice the size of a regular ESB-h baggie, they come with the weapons in a bit of sellotape, sometimes with the weapons taped to the body of the figure, it is speculated that these were offered to the employees of kenner as a cheap way to buy the figures & it has been suggested they were offered on "dollar tables" in the staff shop, though this baggie is not regarded by most as a general release bag offered to the general public, some have turned up from sealed store multi packs. ( soft bag single heat seal )

IMGP1826_zpsw4y0jbqt.jpg

Overstock / shipping case / substitute baggies - more details & new classifications below, but again baggies that have to date been lumped under the ESB-h umbrella heading

IMGP1814_zpscp9bho04.jpg

ESB-j - ( Ex ESB-h 500 figure shipping case overstock baggie ) again one that has been found in sealed multi packs, assumed as a substitute for the regular baggie offered - soft bag twin heat seal

IMGP1813_zpsl8zmm49n.jpg

ESB-k - (Ex ESB-h type ) - very similar to the ESB-j but differing heat seals (came direct from Bill Wills - Co Author of the old SWCA baggie guide), a very rare bag & one I am TBH a little lost as to where is was offered if indeed it was ever offered on general sale, though it is more likely to have been one never intended for sale, but rather one used either internally as a sample or for opening & carding - Soft bag twin heat seal

Last edited:

Frunkstar

Grand Master
RotJToyLine_zpsxcxgyrt8.png

RETURN OF THE JEDI ERA BAGGIES

By the time the ROTJ era came along Kenner baggie production had ramped up & many more baggie styles were being produced for the catalog Multi Packs available through the christmas wish books of stores like J.C Penny /Sears etc

IMGP1851_zpsl6py6xg4.jpg

ROTJ-a Crisp / Heat sealed

IMGP1852_zps9if63gyt.jpg

ROTJ-a - font close up

ROTJ-b - this baggie is being excluded from the guide & it's one that does not actually exist as shown on the SWCA guide, the one shown on there turned out to be a one of a kind & can most likely be put down to either a print press error or wear to the font with the R.O.C not showing like it should, so the one shown on there is just a ROTJ-h.

IMGP1853_zpshxldaopy.jpg

ROTJ-c - sadly the most faked baggie on the planet due to the availability of cheap removable limbs C-3P0's in this baggie type (see fakes section on main guide page 8 ) also identical font to the ESB-c Small text version, just a totally different colour font, Crisp / Taped

IMGP1854_zps3iuzv1jz.jpg

ROTJ-c - font close up

IMGP1855_zps0vgyyjuj.jpg

ROTJ-d Soft / heat sealed

IMGP1856_zpsavu4l7yg.jpg

ROTJ-d - font close up

IMGP1857_zpsabkussdc.jpg

ROTJ-e - usually found with kenner figures & accessories not Lili ledy as some would think, though examples are out there with Ledy accessories, Soft but notable thicker than other kenner baggies / Heat sealed

IMGP1858_zpsd1xwsomn.jpg

ROTJ-e - font close up

IMGP1859_zpsamaqlgdj.jpg

ROTJ-f - be careful not to confuse this with the ESB-f Soft / Heat sealed

IMGP1860_zpsxsuwgr0s.jpg

ROTJ-f - font close up

IMGP1861_zpsgtd1hbpy.jpg

ROTJ-g - Be careful not to confuse this with the Palitoy-q, the Kenner version has different heat seals & the font is much thinner, Soft / Heat sealed

IMGP1862_zpsqsamadve.jpg

ROTJ-g - font close up

IMGP1863_zps3wvufnl1.jpg

ROTJ-h Crisp / Heat sealed

IMGP1864_zpsvw3pqwlz.jpg

ROTJ-h - font close up

IMGP1865_zpsak99qfky.jpg

ROTJ-i - very much like the ESB-a but different colour font & Made in China rather than Kong Kong, Soft / Heat sealed

IMGP1866_zpsxboy5vjd.jpg

IMGP1867_zpsrtw2rnaw.jpg

ROTJ-j - Oddly enough more ROTJ-j bagggies ( in terms of figure types found ) have been found here in the UK compared to the US, Soft / Heat sealed

IMGP1868_zpsj6nbpnq7.jpg

ROTJ-j - font close up

IMGP1869_zpsv1lz5kw5.jpg

ROTJ-k - I am omitting a close up of the unique tape type for obvious reasons ( sadly ), Soft / Taped

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom