Scam Warning

Mocman

Youngling
Dear fellow collectors

I just wish to warn people, seasoned collectors but especially new collectors to be extremely cautious when it comes to buying items especially from sites such as Gumtree, some Facebook sites etc.

Some weeks ago I saw a lot of 6 Mocs advertised on Gumtree. Each moc was priced at a very attractive £30. In my excitement at what seemed like a bargain I bought the lot for £180 plus £15 p+p, so £195 in total.

In my eagerness to clinch the deal I went along with the seller's request to make payment via Bank Transfer. BiG MISTAKE.

The goods never arrived. I also had no protection as I had paid by BANK TRANSFER. Please do not do this. Ever. Do not let your eagerness cloud your judgement and lead you to make schoolboy errors like I did.

It seems this scammer is targeting many selling platforms and is offering vintage Star Wars items at very low prices comparatively speaking I.e. Well under market value to lure people in. Do not fall for it.

I was extremely fortunate in that I got my money back eventually but I stress this was a scam and only for a unique set of circumstances I would not have gotten my money back. Thanks be to God. It was not a huge sum of money but it was the principle.

Being scammed is a horrible feeling. Whether it's for £200 or £2000.

With common sense and caution we can reduce the likelihood of falling for scams. But we collectors, eager to clinch a great deal might be tempted to behave foolishly.

Be warned please.

itfciain

Grand Master
General rule of thumb is that if it walks like a duck....

Pretty much anyone in this day and age who can use a computer to advertise their wares can also use said computer to find out their value - there are scamming bastards out there and it always pays to err on the side of caution when it comes to payment

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
I've bought from Gumtree before but I will only complete the deal if I can go to a fixed address and see the items before handing over the cash.

Out of around 10 ads I've completed only 3 as the others wanted bank transfers for the whole amount or 'half and then the rest when the items arrive'.....no thanks

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Many moons ago I was scammed and it is a horrible thing to have done to you. Many thanks for bringing this up and warning the community. Gumtree it would seem is a seriously dodgy place. I think Rob has hit the nail on the head, don't buy until you can see it.

mumbo

Sith Lord
Firstly I'm glad you got your money back.

I recall seeing these being posted up on FB and yes if it's too good to be true it usually is, lesson learnt though.

Thanks for sharing the experience as it does help to remind us all that the world is full of scamming scumbags :evil:

wrighty

Sith Lord
I would only consider deals on Gumtree if the seller will meet for cash on collection. If you think eBay and FB is dodgy, Gumtree is a whole new level of dodgyness (if there is such a word)!! :lol:

Tickion

Padawan
craigslist Uk is another one to watch - I highlighted this recently in the 'sellers to avoid' section. In particular there's one scumbag listing high end figures (e.g Harbert MOC Yoda) he clearly does not own them and asks for an immediate bank transfer.

SOJ

Sith Lord
Be super cautious on Gumtree. I've been approached my all sorts over the years in response to my wanted ads. Got caught out once by some ****er in Margate. Never again. Luckily I was only down £20.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I got scammed years ago for some supposed prototype figures. I think the Guy was from Brighton (not TT) I read an add in the model mart for some unpainted prototypes one being an unpainted Boba Fett and got overly excited. He requested I send money in the post recorded delivery which I foolishly did. The figures arrived a few days later in a small plastic box (like the ones you get in a Chinese take away) on opening the box I was hit with a chemical smell, the figures were unpainted but only because the guy had used some chemical to remove the paint. The figures were shiny almost like they had been polished but smelt of thiners or some sort of acidic substance. I contacted the guy and unexpectedly he answered I discussed the situation and he agreed to meet and take back the figures and give me back my cash. Unfortunately when I tried to call back to arrange the meeting he did not answer, I sent letters and got nowhere. At the end of the day it was my fault for being a dumbass. I know we call them scumbags but these people are devious and clever they find ways of getting people to ignore their instincts and better judgement and act in a non logical way, they are not to be underestimated!

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Mocman said:
Dear fellow collectors

I just wish to warn people, seasoned collectors but especially new collectors to be extremely cautious when it comes to buying items especially from sites such as Gumtree, some Facebook sites etc.

Some weeks ago I saw a lot of 6 Mocs advertised on Gumtree. Each moc was priced at a very attractive £30. In my excitement at what seemed like a bargain I bought the lot for £180 plus £15 p+p, so £195 in total.

In my eagerness to clinch the deal I went along with the seller's request to make payment via Bank Transfer. BiG MISTAKE.

The goods never arrived. I also had no protection as I had paid by BANK TRANSFER. Please do not do this. Ever. Do not let your eagerness cloud your judgement and lead you to make schoolboy errors like I did.

It seems this scammer is targeting many selling platforms and is offering vintage Star Wars items at very low prices comparatively speaking I.e. Well under market value to lure people in. Do not fall for it.

I was extremely fortunate in that I got my money back eventually but I stress this was a scam and only for a unique set of circumstances I would not have gotten my money back. Thanks be to God. It was not a huge sum of money but it was the principle.

Being scammed is a horrible feeling. Whether it's for £200 or £2000.

With common sense and caution we can reduce the likelihood of falling for scams. But we collectors, eager to clinch a great deal might be tempted to behave foolishly.

Be warned please.

Unfortunately there are risks whichever way you pay to do a bank transfer is risky unless you know and trust the person you are transferring to well and even if you do you still **** yourself after you do it, one minute it's in your account the next minute it's in theirs. If you are buying a collection or a number of high value items it's even scarier but at least there is proof of the transaction. Although cash may seem like a more attractive option what if you got mugged or intimidated at the purchase there is no proof the seller was involved or the money was even there and if we are talking high values then that could happen plus the bank wants to know why you are taking large sums of cash out (Who knows who the bank then inform). The long and the short of it is if you are buying off a stranger exercise extreme caution, if you are taking a large amount of cash do not meet in their house because nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors meet in a public place like a service station.

ODB

Jedi Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I got scammed years ago for some supposed prototype figures. I think the Guy was from Brighton (not TT) I read an add in the model mart for some unpainted prototypes one being an unpainted Boba Fett and got overly excited. He requested I send money in the post recorded delivery which I foolishly did. The figures arrived a few days later in a small plastic box (like the ones you get in a Chinese take away) on opening the box I was hit with a chemical smell, the figures were unpainted but only because the guy had used some chemical to remove the paint. The figures were shiny almost like they had been polished but smelt of thiners or some sort of acidic substance. I contacted the guy and unexpectedly he answered I discussed the situation and he agreed to meet and take back the figures and give me back my cash. Unfortunately when I tried to call back to arrange the meeting he did not answer, I sent letters and got nowhere. At the end of the day it was my fault for being a dumbass. I know we call them scumbags but these people are devious and clever they find ways of getting people to ignore their instincts and better judgement and act in a non logical way, they are not to be underestimated!

Sounds like Billyboy Rodgers, he scammed a lot of collectors with 'prototype' pieces. Turns out they were all paint stripped production figures. There's a massive thread on Rebelscum about the whole sorry affair.

MarkG

Jedi Master
ODB said:
Sounds like Billyboy Rodgers, he scammed a lot of collectors with 'prototype' pieces. Turns out they were all paint stripped production figures. There's a massive thread on Rebelscum about the whole sorry affair.

Yup.. classic Bill Rodgers case by the sounds of it... another well respected collector turned bad. Met him a few times when he lived in Worthing as he was a dam decent guy. He then moved to Shoreham area and it all went south very quickly. Came up with many excuses about his personal life etc etc but never came forward on his unpainted figure scam. Many people got 'had' back then. Not sure if he is still on eBay but he was using multiple accounts and various names at one point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom