Jim Stevensons Health

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
This is a sensitive subject! I am saddened to learn of Jim Stevenson s I'll health! I, along with many other members of the Vintage Collecting Community would have known that Jim is one of the great characters with regard to Vintage Star Wars toys and especially so in the 1990s before the advent of the dreaded Internet!! I bought quite a few pieces from him in my early collecting days and up until a couple of years ago enjoyed many a lengthy chat about the hobby! I wanted to express my concerns for his health and best wishes to his family!

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
It's sad indeed, Jim has been ill for the last couple of years unfortunately and i found it rather eye opening the vultures that were soon swooping for all his stuff, although I shouldn't have been surprised.
I am regularly in contact with his son Andy as i don't live far from Mansfield and with him being Forest and me Wednesday we've had plenty to discuss.

Andy has cleared just about all his Dad's stock now I believe as he became tired and disillusioned with the merchandise and used it to pay his home off with his other half.
I spoke with his Dad Steve at various fairs over the years and he was always helpful and had fascinating stories to tell.

maxf

Jedi Master
PulsarP said:
i found it rather eye opening the vultures that were soon swooping for all his stuff, although I shouldn't have been surprised.

Nothing surprises me anymore. I know of other examples of people's misfortune being jumped upon.

Such a shame about Jim - he was my first introduction into collecting, seeing his add in M&CM.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I always looked forward to seeing the items that he had for sale at the fairs I used to regually attend, could never afford to buy anything from him in those days, but still enjoyed looking.
Fond memories of days gone.

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I remember when there was an article in model and collectors mart that he had a lot of memorabilia stolen including a ledy sandperosn and either a screen used tie pilot or at at driver helmet.

Does anyone know if he ever got them back?

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
I do remember the incident with the screen used helmet(possibly At At Driver ).I certainly had many a conversation with him regarding his collection of prototype Empire 12"dolls complete with unproduced packaging! Which he always regretted selling to a prominent collector in the States!!!And also how he used to ask a Palitoy employee to sneak some items out through a side door of the factory!!!?

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
Very sad indeed after all he was and still is "mr Star Wars".
Over the years I got to know Jim well and some of the principle items in my collection came from him.I had the pleasure of going to see him at his house on numerous occasions and always spent a lot longer than I intended drinking tea and chatting about the hobby he was so passionate about,he was a wealth of information when it came to toy collecting,some of the stories he told me were fantastic (both the good and the bad side of the hobby)
He has been battling illness for a number of years and I wish him all the best.
By the way It was an At-At driver helmet that was stolen.

wrighty

Sith Lord
I don't know Jim personally and have never bought anything off him but from stories and pictures he is a legend! Wish him all the best!! :D

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Sorry to hear this about Jim 'Mr Star Wars' Stevenson, I met him numerous times at toy fairs and bought a few bits from him over the years, as well as seeing his ads in Model & Collectors Mart. Nice guy although never keen to bargain on prices!

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I don't know the full story but Jim's AT-AT driver helmet has surfaced in recent years and is now owned by Stephen Lane of Prop Store - it was shown at Celebration Europe last year. I believe Jim has received compensation.

Joe

Grand Master
Sorry to read this. Has news of Jim's ill health been posted somewhere? Or have people just heard by word of mouth?

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
Hello Joe,the last conversation I had with Jim was December 2015. I kept trying to contact him through the early part of last year but to my dismay no answer! I then contacted Joe at Leicester Vintage Toys who told me that he definitely was in poor health and was unfortunately not living at home!! Joe had also spoken to Steve at UKG who basically reiterated the same information. I understand it's a very sensitive subject mentioning someone's health but I have posted the topic as I am sad to learn of his situation- I miss our conversations and even though I never met him I feel as if I have known him for an eternity!!! I sincerely wish Jim and his family my best wishes. Gary.

Davaider

Padawan
Sad news about Jim, A True Gent , The 1st "Popular Collector " In Star Wars Vintage I got to know. Great Telephone Conversations and loved hearing his Stories from the past. Always had time for you. Gave me priceless advice. He really does have a Heart of Gold.
IMG_4084.JPG

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm sorry to hear about his ill-health. I wish him all the best. I'm also glad to hear he at least received compensation for his stolen AT-AT Driver helmet.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Right, I recently met up with Steve Ward of UKG and he informed me sadly Jim is now being looked after in a home as he is suffering from serious dementia!

It is so sad to loose one of the outstanding characters in our hobby I remember over the past 20+ years :!: The last Memorabilia I attended that Jim also would have attended if not for his health(b4 the show totally changed to ****) felt sooo empty and dull not seeing his wonderful display of matchless ex shop stock pieces and not being able to have our usual chat :cry:

Jim had such a passion for vintage Star Wars and his stock and stories was testament to that!
Maybe being a tad controversial because we all like to say how wonderful someone was, anyone who really knew Jim will know he was a damn tough dealer and it was tough to get a bargain out of him most of the time :!: He wasn't one to do many favours and certainly was all about money. He knew he had an advantage because of the quality of his stock:!: HOWEVER he was stand up honest and the integrity of his stock was 2nd to none and he taught me a lot. He had those real "Old Skool" qualities about him the way he did business and U didn't mind paying a little more for something because of the quality and over the years that has really paid off :!:
I truly miss him and we won't see the likes of him again :(

A true legend 8)

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
palitoyjunky said:
Right, I recently met up with Steve Ward of UKG and he informed me sadly Jim is now being looked after in a home as he is suffering from serious dementia!

It is so sad to loose one of the outstanding characters in our hobby I remember over the past 20+ years :!: The last Memorabilia I attended that Jim also would have attended if not for his health(b4 the show totally changed to ****) felt sooo empty and dull not seeing his wonderful display of matchless ex shop stock pieces and not being able to have our usual chat :cry:

Jim had such a passion for vintage Star Wars and his stock and stories was testament to that!
Maybe being a tad controversial because we all like to say how wonderful someone was, anyone who really knew Jim will know he was a damn tough dealer and it was tough to get a bargain out of him most of the time :!: He wasn't one to do many favours and certainly was all about money. He knew he had an advantage because of the quality of his stock:!: HOWEVER he was stand up honest and the integrity of his stock was 2nd to none and he taught me a lot. He had those real "Old Skool" qualities about him the way he did business and U didn't mind paying a little more for something because of the quality and over the years that has really paid off :!:
I truly miss him and we won't see the likes of him again :(

A true legend 8)

Thanks Jon for the update. I've known about Jim not being well for a long time and Darren (Starzone) kindly gave me an update a while back, but I didn't know to what extent. This is indeed really sad news and dementia is a shockingly quick disease and a nightmare for the family.

I will miss him at toy fairs for sure and him not being there marks the end of an era.

stormcab

Sith Lord
Very sad to hear. When I first discovered toy fairs in my mid-late teens in the mid 90s, I bought a couple of pieces of him. I remember he said he got hold of a VCJ MOC and I could have it for £750. Didn't have that in my mid teens lol.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Ah man, I'm really sorry to hear this. Jim was THE face at toy fairs. His stall was always second to none. The great thing is that you didn't even have to buy anything to appreciate Jims stall. You could just stop and stare as I often did. Haha. It was always immaculately laid out with some of the best and varied stock from all kinds of toy lines. Some folks used to slate his prices and sure he was tough to deal with at times but you knew what you were getting and that was most often top quality. I bought quite a few bits off him years ago and he was always great to chat to. kudos to him for having the passion and foresight to be going to the US to cart this stuff back in the 90's. I haven't been to a fair in a few years now but I know that his not being there will undoubtedly have a big impact.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom