Watch out! Post Fakes, Repros, Customs selling on ebay here

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Dunno why but I find the fake/ repro element of collecting fascinating. I just can't believe the amount of people out there going "I've got a good idea to make money". Fair enough some people are buying stuff advertised as fake (which seems a little pointless to me) but the stuff advertised as Vintage is seriously bad. There is so much stuff out there it's mind blowing and it's only going to get worse. You could have a whole section on the podcast every month with the amount of fake crap there is out there. :(

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
Dunno why but I find the fake/ repro element of collecting fascinating. I just can't believe the amount of people out there going "I've got a good idea to make money". Fair enough some people are buying stuff advertised as fake (which seems a little pointless to me) but the stuff advertised as Vintage is seriously bad. There is so much stuff out there it's mind blowing and it's only going to get worse. You could have a whole section on the podcast every month with the amount of fake crap there is out there. :(

That's actually a great idea unless will it fall foul of a slander type court case?
Surely the power of the forums and podcast has already had a massive success with reducing (if not wiping out) U Grading, exposing Toy Toni and has touched on No Repro.. can the forum and podcast have another bash at the No Repro part of that campaign with a more vigourous push on The NO FAKES element... maybe even calling out the people in person/the eBay accounts regularly or highlighting dodgy eBay listings that are out there that month?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Like most people... I collected Star Wars as a kid then wandered off on to other things, I got back into it by accident and started buying again. Since then I've bought lots on Ebay, early on i got a few cheap loose bits which I thought were bargains, turned out many of the weapons were repro. It was only by chance that I got onto the forum and into the podcasts etc. There must be loads of casual collectors out there who don't know about much of this stuff. It's buyer beware but surely it's illegal. I was at a comic con last year and a seller was trying to sell me stuff that was obviously recarded fake stuff, I laughed at him. When I walked past him later he was trying to sell this girl some stuff for her boyfriend's birthday present. He had all the chat and I was going to step in but the girl decided not to buy it. It annoys me I guess because it's Star Wars and meant to be a fun thing. I never heard of TT until the podcast, I've been to the shop in Brighton loads over the years and had considered buying stuff. I suppose all collecting hobbies have a scummy counterfeit element but come on... It's STAR WARS!!! The Mr Palitoy TT episode of the podcast blew my mind. What a horror show. He was very philosophical about losing the cash. Rotten.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Surely the podcast would only fall fail of slander etc if they name particular names. I reckon they could say look out for repaint R2D2 and C3PO droids figures etc. I'm sure some would say it's your own fault if you get scammed on EBay but not everyone is that into the hobby, some just buy for fun. Needs to be stamped out. Especially as it seems on the rise? Some of the counterfeit stuff is comical.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
Surely the podcast would only fall fail of slander etc if they name particular names. I reckon they could say look out for repaint R2D2 and C3PO droids figures etc. I'm sure some would say it's your own fault if you get scammed on EBay but not everyone is that into the hobby, some just buy for fun. Needs to be stamped out. Especially as it seems on the rise? Some of the counterfeit stuff is comical.

Indeed, but in order to drive the scammers and fakers out do they not need to be named and shamed more vocally

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yeah I reckon they do, it's whether you want to risk them taking it further. For the most part there's little they could do if they are selling trash. Has TT ever threatened to do anything? Plus people on eBay usually go "I believe this is genuine" or "I was told this is". That's why the forums are so good as you can usually check up before you buy.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
This guy is selling two boxed mailers but the boxes are wrong and the At-At Commander was never a mailer. The Anakin has the wrong box, that box is for the Admiral Ackbar mailer and the other listing the AT-AT Commander the box is for a 4-Lom.

252414641703 and 252414644397

Heads up! I hope no-one here has bid thinking this is a real sabre acts the same but is defo repro. this seller has some nice stuff but also has a watch out for selling repro. I think Droopy had some problems with them, and they always seem to pull their actions.
EBAY ITEM NO: 301977073090

Hello I have a question doesn't it infact raise the value of my star wars collection (just joined newbie - created a new topic with my star wars collection all original)

Doesn't infact increase the value of my collection which is 100 percent real, because there are fakes out there?
surely it must.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Starwarscollection said:
Hello I have a question doesn't it infact raise the value of my star wars collection (just joined newbie - created a new topic with my star wars collection all original)

Doesn't infact increase the value of my collection which is 100 percent real, because there are fakes out there?
surely it must.
Good point. I think you should be asking $3000 for your collection.

lejackal

Grand Master
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311640816480

$_57.jpg

Beaten up card to make it look aged, Ben doesn't even have a cape FFS and its over £40! :twisted:

MarkG

Jedi Master
Not sure if this ones been mentioned before, but not even cardbacks are safe now !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Kenner-reproduction-action-figure-backing-cards-x5-/122062845035?hash=item1c6b83346b:g:fXIAAOSw-FZXkOVH

Complete with 'damage' :evil:

yoda

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
Like most people... I collected Star Wars as a kid then wandered off on to other things, I got back into it by accident and started buying again. Since then I've bought lots on Ebay, early on i got a few cheap loose bits which I thought were bargains, turned out many of the weapons were repro. It was only by chance that I got onto the forum and into the podcasts etc. There must be loads of casual collectors out there who don't know about much of this stuff. It's buyer beware but surely it's illegal. I was at a comic con last year and a seller was trying to sell me stuff that was obviously recarded fake stuff, I laughed at him. When I walked past him later he was trying to sell this girl some stuff for her boyfriend's birthday present. He had all the chat and I was going to step in but the girl decided not to buy it. It annoys me I guess because it's Star Wars and meant to be a fun thing. I never heard of TT until the podcast, I've been to the shop in Brighton loads over the years and had considered buying stuff. I suppose all collecting hobbies have a scummy counterfeit element but come on... It's STAR WARS!!! The Mr Palitoy TT episode of the podcast blew my mind. What a horror show. He was very philosophical about losing the cash. Rotten.

Your story is similar to mine. Only I stumbled upon this forum I had no idea also of repro and Toni scandal. I think you right there's a lot of people out there still buying and have no idea. Unfortunately that is keeping fueling the fire.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
yoda said:
Darth Bobby said:

Your story is similar to mine. Only I stumbled upon this forum I had no idea also of repro and Toni scandal. I think you right there's a lot of people out there still buying and have no idea. Unfortunately that is keeping fueling the fire.

I think the problem is people find their old collection's, then decide to buy a few things to fill in the gaps. It never occurred to me that there was this big community or anything. You continue down the road buying bits, then discover this word 'Repro'. By which time it's too late and you realise you've bought some figures with counterfeit weapons. The hard core collectors would say it's your own fault and you should have researched, but for some people I think it's more a case of buying bits off Ebay when your bored at work. There's money to be made so there's going to be people ready to rip you off!

lejackal

Grand Master
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/starwars1977-1985/m.html?_trksid=p3692

Multiple listings described as "replacement" weapons, we all know they're repro but c'mon, at least be honest about it :roll:

sparkysx

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/starwars1977-1985/m.html?_trksid=p3692

Multiple listings described as "replacement" weapons, we all know they're repro but c'mon, at least be honest about it :roll:

Pisses me off the way they say 'nice replacement weapon' it's not nice, it's ****!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom