THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 34 Launched

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
podbean34.jpg

The Vintage Rebellion welcome stand out collector Brian Angel to the Podcast to discuss his collecting habits, we discuss Facebook, Engineering Pilots and his R5-D4 focus amongst many other topics.

Rich discusses display and shipping ideas with Iain Sanderson and Johnpaul Ragusa.

Whilst Jez hosts possibly the most crazy NA ever with a random Tuna Fish advert and a discussion on Yak Face's Muff!  The lads discuss their favourite TIE Fighter from the range and we highlight an absolute steal at an estate sale.

On Beyond The Toys, Grant welcomes artist Chris Moore where they discuss Star Wars Wallpaper.

This months market is short and sweet as Pete looks at the 2016 Kenner 12a market prices and the tracker top 5 ties things up nicely.

All this plus the other usual gibbering.

Enjoy the show!!!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hope that the podcast will be as good as the header picture... thats a great work of art.
Just going to down load it now, that's my journey to work sorted for the next few days.
Thanks keep it up, always look forward to this post. :wink:

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Yet another outstanding episode. Great interview with Brian "just call me" Angel and I really enjoyed the New Acquisitions segment. Was also waiting for Pete to throw down UFC style on the rest of the crew regarding reseals. :) Seriously though, you guys do a fantastic job with the podcast. I look forward to it each and every month. Thanks!

spoons

Grand Master
Enjoying the episode so far and just up to the debate on reseals.

I don't have an issue with them but thought Pete's point to Stu was very thought provoking

'I can't afford a sealed one is the exact same argument that people use to defend repros'

Spot on Pete!

Pertinent to me as I've just picked up a resealed Canadian 20 back TIE which was not known to exist until this year. It's not the cost but the rarity that made me buy it.

The bubble is poorly stapled on and I had planned to reglue it - now I'm not so sure?

itfciain

Grand Master
Great episode guys - never like hearing the sound of my own voice but do appreciate you giving me the time to promote our stall at Celebration :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
Fantastic podcast as ever guys and I love the length of these as it means I can work away almost all day on my animation whilst listening to it.

One thing I wanted to say was Grant mentioned a Palitoy reseal collection and I think you were thinking of mine and not Ryan's as it's the only one I know of other than the one Mark is putting together at the moment and I can't remember if the slider's collection was strictly Palitoy - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13119

Not that I would take anything away from Ryan's amazing reseal collection but he went for a run of the first 21 and did it with different countries releases - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12101

Quite something as you can see and the only thing I can think of being better would be to try to do this run with each card being from a different country (not that I would ever worry about this personally as I'm happy to just have a run of the first 21 myself).I can't imagine anyone having that Luke in their collection though.

As for Pete's thoughts on reseals I don't go along with it myself as I just can't see how restoring original opened card backs, back to almost their former glory can be even associated in the slightest with reproductions. They are two completely different things in my eyes and to just throw opened cards away due to them not being still sealed would be a crime (not that this is what you said Pete but I'm not quite sure if you see them as being the same sort of things as repro what you think should be done with them? Maybe they just aren't for you?). That all being said though (sure someone on here said they hated that phrase recently :lol: ), I have the upmost respect for how people collect and have always admired those who will only allow fully sealed mocs into their collection and would rather have nothing than consider a reseal. It's what makes this hobby so great as there's always an area that suits each fan and I think we all have some level of respect for every collectors focus, even if it isn't something that we'd never consider.

That's my thoughts on it which I know some will agree with and others won't but it all makes for an healthy environment in my eyes.

Can't fault the podcast guys and really appreciate all the hard work you all put in each month to bring it to us. It really does make a difference and have a great time at Celebration this year for those attending. Even though I'm based in the US now and still can't make it I know one day I'll meet up with you all somewhere and have a great time!

Edit - I just noticed Spoons comment above about Pete saying - 'I can't afford a sealed one is the exact same argument that people use to defend repros' so may have mixed this up with thinking Pete was talking about reseals being the same sort of thing as reproduction but still can't really agree with it.
The thing that got me into Star Wars vintage collecting was buying some repro cards years ago (I was younger and foolish), and realising that they really weren't for me (maybe not that foolish after all!). This then made me put together a Kenner 12 back moc run but then on buying a resealed Palitoy 12 back I realised what I really wanted was a set of 12 back Palitoy figures. There was no way I could afford mocs of these so sold up the Kenner ones and focused on reseals. It my seem strange to some to have done this but for me it was all about recapturing some of my childhood as the Palitoy ones were the ones I had growing up and I love the fact that with reseals I know that the figures in the bubbles have probably been enjoyed and played with over the years in most cases. I don't really see how having this collection can be the same argument used for collecting repro as the money was a big factor for me but now I've given an original vintage toy some new life. No argument intended by this as mentioned already as it really is each to their own but maybe peoples circumstances do play a part in what and why we collect certain things.

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
Nicely put Ian, Pete (nor me) didn't say reseals are the same as repros just that Stu's argument was the same as that of people defending repros - the cost of originals is why they have them.

I have some partial reseals in my collection and love them, and think collections like yours are fantastic - restoring to former glory is a great way of putting it.

My only dilemma is potentially damaging a rare cardback with glue in order to make one. But I suspect that's what I'll do.

Richard_H

Grand Master
I think reseals do have a place in the hobby. I'd rather have a full set of reseals than nothing. I think it was Pete who said it's the same argument made by repro users not Stu.

Those collections above are fantastic.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
About half way through. It's a shame JPs kickstarter didn't meet its goal but the reason I personally didn't back it is because I just don't see how it would work. I need convincing that it is possible to create one or several types that can cater for every single bubble style between them, and I just don't think it's possible. He mentioned trilogo being an easy one but IMO that will be one of the hardest to do, when was the last time you saw a straight trilogo bubble? They're almost always dented and deformed.

Also this is slightly controversial but I personally don't think supporting the bubble is enough. Yes it looks good when people wrap cardboard around a bubble, but does it actually stop them cracking? In my opinion no. The only thing that prevents a bubble cracking is something to absorb the shock like an elastic band around it. Cardboard might stop the figure poking his head out, but it won't stop the crack. JP did mention shock absorbing but I don't see how anything solid like foam can do that. I would highly recommend they explore the elastic route.

I will 100% back it in future if I see a prototype that solves the problem. For me crowd funding needs to be more than a vague idea.

spoons

Grand Master
Richard_H said:
I think reseals do have a place in the hobby. I'd rather have a full set of reseals than nothing. I think it was Pete who said it's the same argument made by repro users not Stu.

Stu said reseals are great if you can't afford the real thing (which is very true) - Pete said that's the same argument that repro defenders make (which is also very true - going round in circles a bit here)

Made it through the TIE bit now, great stuff and like you I had no idea there was an X-Wing text TIE box - I want one :)

And are you confusing TIE Bombers with small wing TIEs? It was long thought that 750 Bombers were made for a test market release, but that has now been pretty much debunked as they showed up all over the US. The main difference being Bombers (and the other ESB large die cast ships) were sold in small numbers and small wing DV TIEs weren't sold at all).

spoons

Grand Master
Richard_H said:
Not bomber, but I thought I read somewhere on RS(?) a while ago about short wing DV ties. Will do a search at some point.

There was some debate as to the split between DV and TIE cards but generally c. 50 is the accepted amount. There was a more detailed discussion but I can't find it.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1099326

the Archive says 10 on DV TIE cards, but more recent discussions would put it at around 25 on each card - maybe a bit more

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48515

I spoke with the archive guys to make sure these figures were good, and its why I think the 750 bombers is now fairly spurious, as no-one knows where that figure cam from.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:

I think it was Pete who said the report comment but I know there's a lot of love for reseals on this forum and I still take my hat off to people who stick to their guns with what they collect and won't let certain things into their collection. It really is what makes this hobby so great and I love seeing all kinds of runs from reseals to mocs to beaters, they all have a place for me.

Oh and Spoons.... glue it (but maybe track down some 70's glue)! :lol:

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
Palifan said:
Richard_H said:

I think it was Pete who said the report comment but I know there's a lot of love for reseals on this forum and I still take my hat off to people who stick to their guns with what they collect and won't let certain things into their collection. It really is what makes this hobby so great and I love seeing all kinds of runs from reseals to mocs to beaters, they all have a place for me.

Ian

I could open one of those UHU Ewok sets :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
spoons said:
Palifan said:
Richard_H said:

Ian

I could open one of those UHU Ewok sets :)

That's the ticket! you could even use the glue to restick the UHU set back together and all done in the Palitoy factory would be the cherry on top (I can hear Pete groaning from here!).

Ian

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Just got up to the Toy Toni bit. I estimated he had several thousand unused cards left rather than several hundred. I think he has taken legal advice not to sell those to anyone, open or private deal, as he would risk prosecution if he did. I'm sure Fake Britain would be interested in a follow up if that happened, and those guys go kicking down doors at 4am with their police contacts to pursue cases.

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Just heard about the proto R2 lunchbox estate sale find. $6 for a $2-3000 item :eek: it's the kind of find we all dream of... BUT I have to admit I would feel a little guilty bagging something like that from an estate sale. That's somebody's inheritance you're taking a nice big chunk out of. I think if it was me I would have bought it to secure the item, and then later contacted the seller and offered a little more.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Anyone who saw me driving home tonight would have thought that I was mad...I was listening to the Yak "muff" part of the podcast, as soon as the "word" was mentioned It was just ansking to end up going down the route it did.
A great moment, teally enjoyed lerning what a muff was, and for years I thought it was something else. :shock:
That's for making my day...still smiling now :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom