-what's a true holy grail...

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Lom said:
I think I almost certainly apply 'grail' status incorrectly since I have two; an achievable grail and an almost certainly unachievable grail.

As an AT-AT Driver focus collector I would LOVE a screen used AT-AT Driver helmet. There were only 2 - one is in a collection and the other was stolen and has disappeared. The chances of me owning either are astronomical not least of all because I doubt I could afford it!!!

And then there's a 30b Palitoy AT-AT Driver moc - in 2 years of hunting I know where 3 are but they're in fine collections already; I think I'll get one from somewhere someday and whilst I'd love it to be tomorrow, it could just as easily be another 2 years away!

I think the AT AT Driver helmet is a good example of a Grail as I think it is something that most collectors would want and almost none will ever have irrespective of financial situation.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
theforceuk said:
It's personal, mines a Kenner 21 back Boba Fett.

The way I look at it is if someone said to you, I'm going to sell you any vintage item for what you can afford but you can never sell it what would you choose?

For me at this point in time it would either be either a Palitoy VCJ or a 30 Back Fett.

If at some future point you were to acquire a 21 Back Fett or I was to acquire a 30 Back Fett or Palitoy VCJ would we still class those items as Grails, is a Grail something you chase and not own?

Probably not! After opening the package I would move on to the next one, which would probably be POTF Yakface. :lol:

Lindo

Sith Lord
for me it would have to be a potf yakface and Anakin and yoda and nikto and at at driver, errmm think that's it :D

sith-smith

Grand Master
As far as I'm concerned a true holy grail is whatever piece you want most, for whatever personal reasons you have for wanting it.

Like the other classic 'mega rare' grail gets thrown about a lot. This is or that is the holy grail of star wars collectors etc...

Bull!

who is anyone to tell me what the holy grail is for me a star wars collector!?

Anything piece can be a grail to anyone at any time. And good luck to them on their hunt for it!

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
sith-smith said:
As far as I'm concerned a true holy grail is whatever piece you want most, for whatever personal reasons you have for wanting it.

Like the other classic 'mega rare' grail gets thrown about a lot. This is or that is the holy grail of star wars collectors etc...

Bull!

Anything piece can be a grail to anyone at any time. And good luck to them on their hunt for it!

Great answer.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
sith-smith said:

Bull!

Hope you don't mind me asking but what's your Grail?

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
My grail would be a recognisable screen used item from the original trilogy, something the average man in the street would recognise as being from Star Wars. Can't see myself ever affording to buy something like that, but I can dream!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
sith-smith said:

Bull!

Hope you don't mind me asking but what's your Grail?

An extension to get all his grails in! :lol:

maxf

Jedi Master
AndyPreston said:
My grail would be a recognisable screen used item from the original trilogy, something the average man in the street would recognise as being from Star Wars. Can't see myself ever affording to buy something like that, but I can dream!

I'll go with that - a screen used at-at or star destroyer model would probably be my grail, or perhaps the probot.

In terms of toys... A full run from clay to production for one of the vintage figures.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
AndyPreston said:

Around 15-16 years ago I remember seeing a screen used lightsaber (I think it was Luke's) for sale on Ebay being sold by Lucas Films or one of the Lucas Companies together with COA and I think it went for $25,000. I wouldn't like to think what it would go for now! I guess items like that really are grail items as I have never seen one for sale since.

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
This has got to be up there and today's the day!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 605

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
With it being an open auction,it found its value on the day.It was bought by a very respected collector and as far as I'm aware he is very happy with his purchase.There are quite a few differing views on this item especially around its value.Did it achieve what I expected? To be honest due to the rarity I had no real idea what the final price was going to be .At the end of the day Vectis don't set the prices ,its down to the collectors (that bid) who set the price.

coomber75

Sith Lord
I get its rarity but isnt a grail piece for me... although I do have a loose but more luck than judgment as I had him as a kid. I have a few that I ultimately want... the first 12 moc ideally whikst not a crazy grail would make me feel happy owning them :D

wrighty

Sith Lord
Hothrebel said:
With it being an open auction,it found its value on the day.It was bought by a very respected collector and as far as I'm aware he is very happy with his purchase.There are quite a few differing views on this item especially around its value.Did it achieve what I expected? To be honest due to the rarity I had no real idea what the final price was going to be .At the end of the day Vectis don't set the prices ,its down to the collectors (that bid) who set the price.

Are you saying this piece has remained in the UK? That's great if so!! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom