When was the last time (first time round1) you spotted the original toys?

spoons

Grand Master
A binfull of Klaatus in Carter's Toy Shop Bradford in 1991/2

Still got the same Klaatu today :)

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I remember our local market shop always had two or three shipping boxes of Jedi figs open down the far end of the shop on the floor around 83-85, I remember going there about once a month to flick through them like you used to with records and occasionally finding something I wanted , But they were nearly always jabba specials klaatu nikto ree yees think they were only 40 or 50 p at the time and remember thinking there must be some good one's soon but they were always 2 thirds full of all the usual above mentioned cards and always jedi never any others and the boxes were always full, shipping boxes cannot remember if they were Palitoy boxes or not but all the ships there that were for sale were always Kenner and sure all the cards were too never any Palitoy.
Years later about 92-93 I popped in there one day on the off chance and could not believe that there were 3 at-as's( 2 jedi forest and one empire snow,} and a slave one all fiver each I snapped them up as I was getting back into star wars at the time and said the usual " my son loves star wars do you have anymore about ????" but was told that was the last of it found in the stock room buried but was happy with the find. happy days!!
Found some klaatu nikto ree yees in bad shape in 1994 on a market stall for 50p each bought the last six they had, one was literally hanging off the card that was the last time I saw them in the cheap original wild :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I remember going into my local toy shop and their not being any MOC's. Asked the chap behind the counter when they were getting a new batch in, only to be told that they weren't making them anymore. :(

Very sad day. :lol:

Think it was around 1987?

£1.49 FIGURES

Padawan
but certainly the last time I remember buying a figure was when I picked up Luke in Stormtrooper outfit for, as I recall, 49p, in Scotch Corner in Kilmarnock...

Yes, that was THE shop in Kilmarnock for the toys. I reckon that about 90% of my original SW toys came from upstairs in that amazing place. And, of course, it was there in either early 1983 or late 1982 when this bad boy came to visit...

image.jpeg

£1.49 FIGURES

Padawan
Tarkin's nosehair said:
I remember seeing the power of the force figures and last 17 around '86 with the big yellow and red £1.59 stickers in a toyshop in Fleet Walk Torquay. Saw the words Star Wars and stopped (well you do don't you?) and remember looking at Yak face and Amanaman and thinking " Saw the film loads of times and didn't remember seeing those guys, blimey they're just making 'em up now! I'm glad I don't collect them anymore". Those were the days before I had a video recorder. Needless to say i will be going back there once i build my time machine, can I get you anything? :lol:

That's pretty much how I felt about all the random Ewoks that were springing up on cards by the time I left Star Wars collecting behind first time round. Seeing Paploo, Lumat etc and the Ewok Combat Glider and Village Playset in the shops just finished things off for me. It might have been different had I been a little bit younger and had seen the more exciting Last 17 figures that were sold - Stormtrooper Luke, General Lando, Imperial Gunner namely.

£1.49 FIGURES

Padawan
scooternick said:
Northern Spanish coast circa 1993'ish. 3 ewok hangliders, jabba and he man attack traks. Cleared them out of star wars!![/

Funnily enough, the next time I saw any carded figures after 1985 was when my little brother came back from a holiday in Tenerife with my Mum with 4 carded Tri logo figures that he had bought from a wee backstreet touristy shop for next to nothing. The shop owner had seen my brother looking in the window at one of them the day before so put the rest of the stock in the window - about another four cards worth - and the next day little brother went in and spent the remaining holiday money he had on them. He was still at school at the time so didn't have a lot of ready cash but bought what was there and left one double. He ended up giving one to his best mate (Hammerhead I think) and kept the others that were then sold at the end of the 90s to a Glasgow toy boutique for about £40 each when he was a skint student. It was quite a novelty in the mid nineties to see some carded figures, especially as I hadn't clapped eyes on any for a decade. I remember looking at the card backs with interest and noting that I hadn't known that they' released more figures after the early - mid 1984 Prune Face, Leia Combat Poncho etc wave.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Woolies where I live is now a 99p store. How sad.
It used to be two floors when it was Woolworths.
The last Star Wars related item I bought there was a 12" Dengar around 2004.
Interestingly, there's a huge, closed Woolworths warehouse not too far away in Crick.
One has to wonder if there's anything tucked away...

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
£1.49 FIGURES said:
but certainly the last time I remember buying a figure was when I picked up Luke in Stormtrooper outfit for, as I recall, 49p, in Scotch Corner in Kilmarnock...

Yes, that was THE shop in Kilmarnock for the toys. I reckon that about 90% of my original SW toys came from upstairs in that amazing place. And, of course, it was there in either early 1983 or late 1982 when this bad boy came to visit...

image.jpeg

Great photo. Vader came to Zodiac Toys where I lived.
I remember it being rammed with kids and shelves of Star Wars. I think it was around 1980.

Dazza

Youngling
I remember a toy shop in Ayr with row upon row of discounted Star Wars stock in 1986. It stuck in my mind because I was totally over SW, but they had loads of the more 'exotic' and difficult to find figures which I had never been able to find in my local shops. I seem to remember a lot of them were Empire cardbacks. They also had shelves full of 70's 8" Mego figures.
I also remember a time in the early 90s when John Menzies on Argyle St. in Glasgow were obviously having a basement clear out. They had loads of 70's and 80's stock on sale. Lots of Sindy and Action Man as well as Star Wars.

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
£1.49 FIGURES said:

image.jpeg

Ha ha, that's a cool picture... probably around the same timeframe I met Vader in a wee toy shop called Abacus, in Irvine.
Strangely enough, me and my brother's were allowed to pick something, not too dear, from the shop and, instead of grabbing a figure, all three of us grabbed Empire logo metal storage chests, with piccies of some of the characters on each side. :D

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
The last figures I saw and purchased was Pop-Up R2-D2 and Imperial Dignitary. They were with a bunch of Jedi figures that I must have already had as I choose these 2. A while later I came across 'SPACE FIGURES', now known as Irish 3 Packs in Merrits Toy shop in Abergavenny. They looked ****.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Spring of 1993

I'd been with my girlfriend (later wife) about a year having met at college and then I went off to Uni. Back at home, my brother was still at school and in his final year and he had a school trip to The American Adventure Theme Park. This place was the last of the big new theme parks of the 1980's and was already in decline. On his trip he came across wall filled with ROTJ MOCs and proceeded to pick me up a couple; he had his £3 lunch money and £3 souvenir money... the MOCs were £1.99 each, so he literally starved (but for a mate giving him a bite of a sandwich) and bought me three he liked the look of.

As soon as he phoned me in London to let me know what he had bought, I made a plan with the lady... we had a beaten up 1960's Beetle and a trip to Derbyshire was not exactly a straightforward drive in that thing, but the next day I skipped Uni and having driven to London from Swindon to meet me the night before, we set off up north at the crack of dawn.
Arriving at the place, we quickly realised that we'd underfunded the trip, the entry fee was eye-watering for a student, but we had paid for petrol (4*!) and were on the door step. In we went, trying to explain all we wanted to do was visit the shop, but no, we had to buy a full price ticket each... I could see the MOC money halving before my eyes.

Straight to the main shop.. and Boom! there it was a wall, maybe 4 meters wide, 1.8 meters tall filled (to be fair a little sparsely) with ROTJ MOCs... there were though only maybe 6 different ones (an ERG (that was stapled), a piss yellow GG, a Chirpa, a Logray, a Teebo, a BBG) that my brother hadn't picked up. I of course, bought ONE OF EACH :lol: and after a quick go on the runaway train rollercoaster (twice), we drove back to Uni.
With hindsight the whole thing was ridiculous... I had a mate at Uni that collected too, didn't cross my mind to get him any and why on earth I didn't just buy multiples anyway I can only assume that fags, hash, beer and the occasional Uni text were still my minds priorities.

I still own all of them and most of them still have the stickers too (a couple have fallen off oddly), in many ways these slightly tatty, over stickered and marked down last vestiges of SW retail are my favourite MOCs of all; if I ever sold up they (and my childhood Biker Scout) would probably be the only thing I'd just have to keep.

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
Dazza said:
I remember a toy shop in Ayr with row upon row of discounted Star Wars stock in 1986. It stuck in my mind because I was totally over SW, but they had loads of the more 'exotic' and difficult to find figures which I had never been able to find in my local shops. I seem to remember a lot of them were Empire cardbacks. They also had shelves full of 70's 8" Mego figures.
I also remember a time in the early 90s when John Menzies on Argyle St. in Glasgow were obviously having a basement clear out. They had loads of 70's and 80's stock on sale. Lots of Sindy and Action Man as well as Star Wars.

I remember John Menzies in Kilwinning having figures and speeder bikes reduced, probably mid-80's, and somehow I managed to grab an R5 and a speeder bike, for less than a couple of quid. I don't remember any bigger vehicles, or what other figures there were, but that may be because I had limited funds, (relying on birthday money, etc), therefore I wouldn't have looked at things I perceived to be beyond my budget. :D

Lindo

Sith Lord
My mate got a rebel transport for Xmas I remember thing bugger me that's huge funny how things always seem bigger when you're littler

rhyfelyser

Jedi Knight
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
At retail, in Grimsby in about 1986/7. I did however win a Bib Fortuna MOC on a hook the duck stall in around 89/90![/qu

This is similar to my last sighting of SW BITD. I saw a Gam guard MOC as a prize in a darts stall at my local travelling fair circa October 1989.
Searched for SW around 1987/88 after having enough of he-man and gobots, got nowhere except for the occasional mini rig. Bought an INT-4 and an Ewok catapult. Got a carded Ree-Yees as a christmas present in xmas 88. That was a huge nice surprise as i thought SW had sold out. Searched early 89 for figures but found nothing in the shops :cry: . Oh for a time machine...

rhyfelyser

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Lindo said:
My mate got a rebel transport for Xmas I remember thing bugger me that's huge funny how things always seem bigger when you're littler

I remember an older kid brought his AT-AT around 1983 to primary school, it was completely massive toy for a 5 yrs old like me. An X-wing was also big. I remember struggling to press the R2-D2 button with my tiny weak fingers to open up the wings! I remember that older kid i mentioned showing his newly bought trilogo Luke stormtrooper to the younger kids when he returned from a school trip for older pupils. I'm sure that's the only time i ever saw any trilogos.

reddogblues

Padawan
I remember seeing the last 17 in Redgates in Sheffield - and picked up Luke Stormie and a couple of others. Remember seeing Yak Face and thinking that it was a pointless figure, so didn't get it :(

I also saw the POTF range there later, but was not so interested, so didn't get any, but was tempted by lightsaber R2 and again passed on it!

Then, a few years later, I remember seeing Tri-Logos in a small toy shop in Bridlington and laughing as they *still* had Star Wars figures for sale, which were like so last year!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom