Packaging

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
One thing I discovered in my star wars collecting journey was my lack of appreciation for packaging. Now I don't want anyone to have a heart attack so I can assure you I have never opened a MOC. However, as I started collecting MOCs or boxes last year all I could see was a trapped figure that needed to be released or an empty box did needed to be thrown in the bin. For the well being of all items I've sold (or nearly sold) all such items so they are safe from my inner whims :) .

I'm guessing this is left over from my childhood where I would naturally throw and rip the packaging away with great enthusiasm. Now loose items are treasured and kept, but I wondered if any other forum members saw all those lovely designed boxes and mocs in the same destructive light?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I see them as vintage toys that must be preserved as they are no matter what.

I think 99.9% of the population the same as you you though. :lol:

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Interesting question. In many ways I now see it completely the other way round. As a kid I would indeed rip open the packages, of course I did, I was a child. I loved my few ships and always wanted an AT-AT, but as an adult, figures aside, I don't actually think that many of the toys themselves are as good as we all view them to be with our rose tinted sentimentality... Don't get me wrong here, I don't think they're bad toys, they're really not! They're bloody brilliant... but they're all essentially monochrome (mainly grey) chunks of plastic and on display they do nothing, they're lifeless. My point is that generally speaking, the boxes are better, they bring the toys to life, they help me relive the nostalgia.

The packaging is to my eye at least a work of art. I say that across all manufacturers too. The Kenner and Palitoy Kids of the early lines through to the Kim Simmonds photography, its all just unbeatable. The beauty of the OT line's toys was its simplicity, on the box were the toys, photographed to show what you got inside and nothing more... because nothing more was needed.

Look at today's packaging for toys, its all terribly designed and littered with unnecessary effects and 'over design'; see the TFA packaging as a prime example of how not to make toys look good (by all means buy that rubbish (its all on sale anyway) and rip it out, the contents is actually ok)), or its some pastiche of vintage like the truly terrible 40th Anniversary attempt.

I do have a loose run of figures and they are deeply treasured, they are stunning pieces of art in themselves, but to me as a collector they look even better mint on card and the vehicles are pretty much all better in a box in my opinion.

Captainsolo1978

Jedi Master
I agree with Savory100. As rock star and prolific vintage Star Wars collector Rick Springfield said in his Rolling Stone video interview I see the packaging and carded figures as works of art.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
When I started collecting it was all about the loose for me, wanted a loose figure set and loose ships to go with my childhood ones. I do really like to see the toys themselves on display and at the time didn't have much love for the unopened and more expensive boxed ships and Mocs. Over time though the packaging has grown on me, I suppose the longer you collect the more you want to branch out and collect other things. I think it started when I bought my boxed Palitoy ESB Falcon, box is superb, just absolutely love it. I still only have a few boxed items, quite a few Mocs and I like the mixture of both packaged and loose, think it looks great in a cabinet. I do know what you mean, but for me the loose stuff quells the urge to open and release the boxed stuff!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom