Celebration Orlando

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Still working on uploading my photos, I took almost 500.This was my second Celebration in the States after Anaheim.

Was great to go out there with a bunch of UK collecting mates. We were split across 2 hotels. Turns out we were in the Basil Fawlty of hotels. I didnt spend any time there apart from sleeping, so it didnt make that much difference. Think I might try for the main hotel all the vintage collectors stay in next time though...

I turned up a day earlier to acclimatize, would have been nice to have other people go to Disney with. As it was, it was nice enough of my own and I got round all the Star Wars in Disney Hollywood Studios in about 4-5 hours. Was back to Will Call to get tickets and lanyards late afternoon and then meet up with the UK guys for dinner at Denys. Then on to the Rosen Center bar to meet various vintage collectors. This was the main vintage hotel.

The queue to get into the con on day one was horrendous, but at least it was in the shade. Took me 2 hours to get in arriving at 9am, and hour after the con started. I made my first engagement with 5 mins to spare. Got into all 5 first day collecting track panels and then straight on to Archive Party. I went dressed as Toy Toni with an kids ironing board and musical iron. Managed to swag trade and fill about 10 lanyards during the party which was more than I managed in all 4 days at Anaheim. Did a live MOCkery demonstration in the fancy dress competition which Jason West volunteered for. I made a Chewbacca back man, and Jason West made a man in snow with skirt on using old cardback, bubbles, figures, prit stick and sellotape. I won 2nd prize which was a big archive party patch which was nice. Back at the Rosen Center I fell in with the Swedes and things get hazy from this point. We all had Swedish t-shirts on and were in a party in Mattais's? room which resembled the bar downstairs. Hotel management threatened to throw us out due to noise so we moved back down to the main bar. The barman said he wasnt serving drinks to anyone in a Swedish t-shirt. Someone tried to nick my ironing board from the bar claiming it was there's which was funny. Got back to hotel via taxi?

Day 2 saw the start of the rest of my con routine. Up at 7am for arrival to the con by 8am to spend 2 hours in a shute queuing for the main hall. Then spend 1-2 hours on the main con floor and then collectors track from midday until con close. Picked up my rebelscum pass, art poster and looked for the Topps booth which I couldnt find. Saw Jez at his stromtropper booth. Got in all 5 collecting track panels in the afternoon. Finally got into Gus's props pnel. This was my 4th attempt, had failed to get into this as CE2, C7 and CE3. So pleased about that. Went to dinner with UK guys to red lobster for dinner which was great. Also got to see the IC party meetup across the road before going in. Was nice to meet Michael Haven face to face. Was like a little mini FF and all the vintage stuff there was also at the room sales. The room sales were great, so much vintage, and rare stuff too. I picked up a set of C6 star tots as I am going for a full run. And then met the Mexicans who literally took all of my money for Lili Ledy cardbacks, including a very nice Jawa. I had no money at this point so setup on the floor with a couple of other UK guys to sell Palitoy cardbacks. Sold 26 bucks woth before hotel management started clearing the concourse. They hadnt done this on previous celebrations, but apparently, some peopel had gone into setup meting rooms and nicked chairs and stuff which was why there were pissed at us. Back to the Rosen center bar for more drinks, and then back to bed.

Day 3 saw another 8am shute start. Got round all the vintage on the floor this day. Saw Jez again to give him more encouragement. Still couldnt find the Topps booth. Asked at Topps signatures where the digital trade app booth was and was told they didnt have one. It was 2 girls wandering around handing out posters and the digital exclusives. So no chance of finding them then! Did all 5 collecting track panels in the afternoon. The Topps girls walked one of the collecting track queues so they found me. That made me happy. Then there was the swap meet which was packed. Managed to avoid giving all my money to the Mexicans, so had money for the Facebook party as Kings Orlando I helped organise. About 30 odd people showed from 60 odd yes's from the facebook event which is a typical reponse for facebook events. Was a nice venue and had a great time with the collectors who came. Nice to see Jenni who cancelled going to the 501st bash.

Day 4 and my last 8am shute. Another last look round the floor and then I took Rich and his wheelchair round the R2D2 builders club on the 2nd floor. Then another 5 collectors track panels. I made all 20, sad, I know! Then start tots give aways and then Millers ale house for dinner with the UK guys afterwards. A great end to the holiday for me. Was off to the airport at 10.30am the next day. Saw Grant at the lobby who said the funniest thing. Asked him what his plan for the day was before his evening flight and he said "To get out of this shithole of a hotel". Must book the right hotel next celebration... lol

cheers Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Have done pics on my mobile too:-

D30B1900-0648-4FEB-8917-0BD8EB9776FD.jpg

The queuing shutes. Spent 6 hours in these in total!

IMG_2187.JPG

Rancho obi-wan kids bedroom. I asked Sansweet if he was the top or bottom bunk.

IMG_5177.JPG

Obligatory slave Leia.

IMG_5185.JPG

Topps lady!

IMG_5186.JPG

So this dude jumps up and starts heckling in the Star Wars at the Movies panel. The only way they could placate him was by letting him sit at the end of the panel and joining in.

IMG_5187.JPG

Turns out it was missing panellist Skye Paine dressed as his alter ego Jasper Dixon, a time travelling dude from the 80s.

IMG_5189.JPG

The shot glass giveaway at Kings Orlando.

IMG_5193.JPG

Filled 12 lanyards this trip.

IMG_5194.JPG

One of the lads lunches (dinners)

IMG_5201.JPG

I call this a photo "Swagageddon".

Cheers Jason

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
They need to manage the numbers much better than they did - big learn for next time.

Pete suggested maybe to hold the big panels in a concert venue, and the rest of the celebration in a nearby exhibition hall.

Another suggestion might be for the big panels to have two sittings. Why not?! The panels only last an hour or so and how hard would it be to have a morning sitting and then an afternoon sitting of the same panel. Everyone has paid a big ticket fee to get into Celebration but only a small percentage of those people (prepared to red eye it and queue through the night - which pretty much excludes anyone with kids) get wristbands for the panels? Not very fair.

jackabina

Sith Lord
Really enjoyed it. Very hard work, and I've never seen so Iain so stressed, but hey, he's in the big league now. Highlight for me was defo meeting some great new people. Awesome meeting Todd and Lee for the first time. Todd was awesome on the stand. Definitely showed me and Iain how to sell stuff!!
Felt really sorry for poor Rich, and my already huge level of respect for Jez, only grew further.

All in all, top week.

Daz

Padawan
Some pics in a completely random order.

IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
picsView attachment 5
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
Before setting up on Tuesday
IMG_1997.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 810

Daz

Padawan
IMG_2251.JPG
Room sales
IMG_2252.JPG
skint
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG
nice play doh set there :wink: Rancho Obi-Wan
IMG_2339.JPG

Farewell celebration

Attachments

• IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 791

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Got my pics loaded now:-

Facebook:-

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155061516885149.1073741970.652110148&type=1&l=d0d8b08093

Flickr:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_jason_smith/albums/72157679639171853

cheers Jason

maxf

Jedi Master
So, would you guys go again?

I'd be tempted to go if it's in California next time, although would have to tie it in with a proper holiday!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom