Vintage Star Wars v G1 Transformers

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Action Man is the same for repro parts, especially hands.
It seems to be controlled and made by actual collectors and enthusiasts for other collectors.
I believe these Action Man parts are made for the good of the hobby and not for deceit or commercial gain.

x-pack

Grand Master
tobedesu said:
Action Man is the same for repro parts, especially hands.
It seems to be controlled and made by actual collectors and enthusiasts for other collectors.
I believe these Action Man parts are made for the good of the hobby and not for deceit or commercial gain.

Tomato tomatoe

That's the argument. I believe its the difference between collectors and enthusiasts. It leads me to think that Star Wars collectors are purists. The mentality of complete originality. The only other area I can think of where this exists is in book collecting circles.

Maybe I'm wrong here but the origins of anti repro, did that start on here?

ODB

Jedi Master
x-pack said:
Repro with transformers is a weird phenomena. Scalextric is similar. I actually follow a guy on fb who puts out repro tyres, glass, body parts etc. I can only explain this with my own view on Scalextric repro parts - I'm not precious about these things. If I need a new tyre I'm not arsed if it came from the Scalextric factory. If it looks right that'll do. As far as I know Scalextric aren't worth a great deal and people using them expect to find aftermarket parts. For this reason I'm not going out looking for old shop stock or collections just to replace a few parts on my cars.

It's not exactly the same thing I know ...or is it :eek:

Scalextric is an odd one though as the standard cars come with parts that perish and if you race them items that break. So a lot of items are reproduced not as repro but as replacements, people will still pay a premium for original parts.

GI Joe has quite a lax attitude to repro parts as well, not just the harder to find parts but stickers as well.

x-pack

Grand Master
ODB said:
x-pack said:
Repro with transformers is a weird phenomena. Scalextric is similar. I actually follow a guy on fb who puts out repro tyres, glass, body parts etc. I can only explain this with my own view on Scalextric repro parts - I'm not precious about these things. If I need a new tyre I'm not arsed if it came from the Scalextric factory. If it looks right that'll do. As far as I know Scalextric aren't worth a great deal and people using them expect to find aftermarket parts. For this reason I'm not going out looking for old shop stock or collections just to replace a few parts on my cars.

It's not exactly the same thing I know ...or is it :eek:

Scalextric is an odd one though as the standard cars come with parts that perish and if you race them items that break. So a lot of items are reproduced not as repro but as replacements, people will still pay a premium for original parts.

GI Joe has quite a lax attitude to repro parts as well, not just the harder to find parts but stickers as well.

For the sake of argument though you could say that with some Star Wars items. In the future I wonder if people will find it acceptable to stick bubbles back on reseal style, or if bubble replacement will become acceptable as all those MOCS start to perish. It's a different thing I know what with the amount of repro weapons and boxes out there, especially when you consider that these things are still in plentiful supply. But you know, in the future things could change.

Maybe I just haven't seen them but i'm surprised repro foam for the bandolier or Yoda swamp isn't readily used and accepted. I've only had a brief dabble in Transformer collecting but can clearly see what a headache repro weapons are in that market

Robstyley

Sith Lord
SOJ said:
However I do have what I like to call my "best of collection". It's made of of the main toys from the other lines I played with as child. There's a G1 Optimus Prime, Rhino from mask, He-Man, Battle Cat, Trap-Jaw and Skeletor, Lion-o, Stuff Puft Mashmellow Man, Ace McCloud from Centurions, some Go-bots, Battle beasts, MUSCLE men, the first 2 sets of Garbage Pail Kids etc. Loads of other bits and pieces.

This is kind of what I've done unintentionally. Over the years I've bought various things - Optimus Prime, Eagle eyes Action Man, some A-Team and other bits and bobs and video games. All stuff I had as a kid. It's dotted around my house and cabinet and some's in storage. I should put it all together somewhere really. Always on the look out for more, got to get a couple of He-Man figures for sure.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
x-pack said:
I would absolutely love a complete TF sticker album. Thinking about this yesterday - of all the toys I had or any book or sticker or game, TF stickers are the thing I remember getting a buzz out of collecting as a kid. That is saying something cos I was a spoiled little **** :lol:

I remember completing that album at school, used to spend all my lunch money on them!

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I'm pretty sure Transformers were the reason I stopped collecting SW. I have memories of buying Wicket from the local toy shop and bumping into a friend on the bus on the way home. He had just bought Bumblebee... and that was it. No more SW purchased, it was Transformers.

I know I had Soundwave (mine didn't come with Buzzsaw but came with one of the other cassettes), Starscream (I wanted one of the blue planes as I thought they looked cooler but could only find Starscream), Bumblebee, Brawn, Inferno and Bluestreak (awesome car... but couldn't find Jazz in the shop at the time!!). My brother had Soundwave (with the correct tape), Optimus Prime and Gears. I've no idea why he had fewer.

I was 12 in 1985 so growing out of toys (apparently) so I didn't get anything released in 1986 or after. Looking back at pictures of them now (and it's not easy to say this) I can see the attraction over Star Wars figures. The Transformers toys look amazing, particularly compared to the dross of the second wave of Jedi figures. As much as I loved them though, they don't have the same nostalgia or sentimental attachment as Star Wars toys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom