Marvel Comics

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Spookedhippie said:
I agree the yoda arc was a huge disappointment and way over the top.... I hope we don't have that again! Usually I wouldn't get every issue and wait for graphic novels but as the comic comes with a free digital code for each issue its perfect. I get to read the comic on my tablet without having to worry about damaging the paper comic

Marvel did stop the free digital download for a little while, I think Star Wars #28, 29, & 30 were missing them, they bought it back again recently for #31.

Also a few issues of Poe Dameron, Dr. Aphra and the first issue of Rogue One, bur Marvel have now reinstated the free downloads :D

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Also for any Dr. Aphra fans who haven't seen this, there was a fan vote recently for an non-movie action figure to be made and she won the vote. Hopefully she'll come with the droids!

http://www.starwars.com/news/doctor-aphra-wins-hasbros-star-wars-fan-figure-vote

tyco

Youngling
I need to read, Maul and Poe as well as the screaming citadel arch along with the 2 movie adaptions but I'm pretty impressed so far.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Ok guys that went well for a good start. Suggest we switch to Princess Leia mini-series before coming back to main SW title. Get reading! Love to read your thoughts.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Derailing the focus within one post I just saw issue 1 of Mace Windu on sale.
Now back to Princess Leia.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
To be clear, when I say I saw it, it was on a forbidden planet email... Not quite seen but I assume it is out tomorrow as those mailers always come out before comic book Wednesday releases.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Just gave in to a moment of weakness and bought two of the 'legacy' volumes (Rise of the Sith & Clone Wars), slippery slope as i will now be tempted to get the Old Republic and Legacy ones as those three together were the best Dark Horse runs. Of course i have all of them already but i am a sucker for a nice bound volume and i've been want to re-read the clone wars stuff since reading Dark Disciple a few weeks back...

Marvel really know how to package stuff up and milk the market :)

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
What a surprise... Now have volume 1 of legacy and the first two volumes of old republic sat on the shelf to read :)

Richard_H

Grand Master
I've got a few of the Legacy TPBs. Some of the DH stuff was stellar. Some was crap though. Check out Crimson Empire and Dark Empire when you can

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Legacy was my favourite series from dark horse, masterpiece! And like rich said crimson empire is a must read

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yeah, i loved Legacy and the big twist that came was outstanding. I remember all the hype around who Krayt was. it was a big reveal at the time and i remember bing hooked desperate to find out...

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Exactly roo it kept everyone guessing. I loved the republic series that ostrander and duursema did that linked with legacy.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
To be fair I think that run of titles from 98 through to mid 00's was probably DH's best run of comics and given their history prior to that, that's saying something. Certainly better than anything that came after, which was a real mixed back of crap.

I recall there was a crossover event that ran from old republic through to legacy, looking forward to rereading that. Not sure if they will put all four issues in one volume or spread them over the four.

Sorry, not meaning to become a DH retro thread, although this is all being published by marvel comics so guess it is ok :)

Richard_H

Grand Master
So, Leia. A little later than I'd planned but I've been quite busy....

Only 5 issues and I have the JTC variant for #1 which is a great rendition of the card.

The comic starts at the end of ANH at the Yavin ceremony. I really don't like the artwork here. The faces look like melted wax sculpts. Leia is being cast as a stone faced Princess and the surviving pilots from the battle are not happy with the brief speech to acknowledge the destruction. A new female pilot is introduced who flew in Yavin and is also an Alderaanian survivor. The Rebels have a mission - flee Yavin before the Empire comes full of wrath. Ackbar is introduced and he has some attempts at humour which fall terribly flat. Making jokes about human hands and eyes makes him come across as a complete twat that nobody would respect. Leia is annoyed she is not giving any meaningful roles and the Empire has issued a bounty on her head. She wants to help with scouting missions but the Rebels refuse - is it because they are concerned about her state of mind or are they worried about her capture? Leia meets the Alderaanian pilot who dislikes Leia's uncaring attitude. She is however a Royalist and vows to protect her Queen (first time Leia is called Queen?) This is clearly written by someone who doesn't understand any kind of monarchy as Leia's mother is given the role of a teacher to some select Alderaanian students about heritage and values. New plot twist - Leia leaves with her pilot on a mission to find and rescue all of the Alderaanian survivors. This is an awful and out of character plot as I don't think Leia would ever leave the Rebellion and sees the bigger picture. R2 (which is drawn solid and then becomes a hologram in another poor plot) informs Dodonna of Leia's descision and then we pick up with Leia in space. Luke and Wedge give chase - Luke seems to imply that Leia is no longer part of the Rebellion and Leia is determined to escape. Another daft plot point in that the maneuver that Luke and Wedge are using is new but the pilot overheard their plans and uses a ludricous plot point to fool Luke and Wedge into thinking that their ship was damaged. Leia escapes to Naboo. We see a serious of flashbacks which shows Leia as a tom boy who wants to be a warrior and who hates her Royal Duties - not something that I find believable as I was always under the impression she was groomed for the role. On Naboo there is a secret Alderaanian settlement - too coincidental with the links between Padme and Leia? A nice moment between Leia and a stained glass window of Padme, but then within 30 secs of landing on Naboo she is recognised by a friend from Alderaan. You couldn't make this up. Leia asks to be put in contact with the secret group. A trap was laid by her 'friend' although Leia and her pilot defeat the heavily armed thugs. She asks the Alderaanians to join her as they travel the stars in such of rescuers. One of them is a sister of an Imperial Officer and sends a message explaining what shes upto. As if anyone can just Skype an Imperial on duty! Leia et al. arrive on Sullust to find another group of Alderaanians. Leia disarms their leader by wrenching his weapon away from his grip :roll: However, it's not long before the Imperials arrive thanks to the information being shared from the sisters and Leia thinks there is a traitor. The Stormtroopers arrive but R2 saves the day as he flies a transporter and gathers a group of beasts who just happen to enjoy stormtrooper armour but not humans :roll: :lol: Leia departs for another planets and the Empire follow. The traitor is found but Leia using her Sixth Sense knows she's not a traitor and makes her a cup of tea :roll: She understands how the Empire has been following them. Leia agrees a trade - her life for the Sister on the Imperial Destroyer now that the plan has been discovered. So after escaping one detention facility she does her best to go into another. :roll: However, during the trade the Imperials did not predict that Leia would have backup :roll: :eek: so she escapes back to her Alderaanians. The Empire send a Star Destroyer after her, big battle and the Alderaanians win. Leia then leaves the main plot (guess all the Alderaanians in the galaxy were hiding on 3 planets which Leia found very quickly) to go back to the Rebellion.

So in summary. A load of crap which adds nothing to the main story.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Dr_Ball_MD said:
I was thinking of downloading the Kanan series as I've been really getting into Rebels lately.

Does anyone recommend them?

Highly recommend it, its superb...

And Rich couldn't agree more...I can confidently say the Leia comics are my least favourite that have come out so far, a huge disappointment...

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Don't know if this is any help to anyone but I use this site for release dates.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_future_comics

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom