Grading

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
There is a problem that can happen very easily to anyone that collects graded. You open up a secondary stream, you're collecting figures but now you're also collecting the stickers from the grading company. Each object in your collection is now two things - it's a Stormtrooper AND it's an AFA85. Slowly but surely that sticker label has become the more important of those two things in your mind.

I don't want to place much appreciation on a sticker, which to me has a zero value, where all the appreciation ought to go to the object itself. I've seen countless limelight posts of graded items where people comment to the effect of "Wow AFA 85!!". That sticker and number can easily and insidiously start to take priority over the object itself - I don't think that is what any of us would want when we start out collecting.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Bunglebubs said:
Lom said:
Absolutely right; nothing can stop a figure moving about inside the bubble, but if that bubble is supported externally by bubble wrap etc. then that will help absorb the impact of figures bouncing around in the bubble by dissipating the shock. The carded figures that principally suffer from this are the ones in trilogo bubbles (especially the heavier figures i.e. Emperor, Anakin). I'm always more nervous when buying a graded item as the bubble can't be supported during transit - bought one the other day that was a 180 mile round trip away but felt much more comfortable going to pick it up myself; if it was ungraded and properly packaged (i.e. star case and bubble wrap / peanuts around the bubble) I would have had it posted.

The one that damaged the bubble I received was externally supported with bubble wrap inside the slide bottom case. So that isn't 100% full proof either.

Agreed - no guarantees when you send carded figures in the post; if that happened to one with some degree of support then the graded ones stand even less chance of survival. We've seen stories on here of figures bursting their bubbles on the return journey from the graders but I guess every time we post these things we're putting them at risk.

itfciain

Grand Master
Bunglebubs said:
itfciain said:
Yes, these look "terrible"

You cannot display the catalogue that comes with the 3 pack mailers can you? To me those tall cases do look terrible, but if you had read what I said properly I was talking about AFA!

Bunglebubs said:
The slide bottom cases look terrible for baggies and multi packs compared to the custom made graded ones that can also be coated with UV resistance

Best thing about this hobby is that we can all collect what and how we want - some of us work hard to bring solutions for display to others and then some of us just like to rubbish those solutions - each to their own though

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Bunglebubs said:
The slide bottom cases look terrible for baggies and multi packs compared to the custom made graded ones that can also be coated with UV resistance

itfciain said:
Best thing about this hobby is that we can all collect what and how we want - some of us work hard to bring solutions for display to others and then some of us just like to rubbish those solutions - each to their own though

Yeah wotever you say as im sure you are not doing it to line your own pocket and im sure you designed all of those cases too huh?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Does something feel off, or is it me?
Nothing from the original poster?
:? :? :?

itfciain

Grand Master
Bunglebubs said:
Bunglebubs said:

itfciain said:

Yeah wotever you say as im sure you are not doing it to line your own pocket and im sure you designed all of those cases too huh?

No I didn't design them at all - Christian did - and he has worked very hard with collectors to bring them what they ask for - whatever you opinion of them is then I think your descriptions of them are pretty uncalled for on what is supposed to be a community focused site

But then you and I have had issues before haven't we so I am sure that doesn't cloud your judgement at all

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
itfciain said:
Bunglebubs said:
Bunglebubs said:

itfciain said:

No I didn't design them at all - Christian did - and he has worked very hard with collectors to bring them what they ask for - whatever you opinion of them is then I think your descriptions of them are pretty uncalled for on what is supposed to be a community focused site

But then you and I have had issues before haven't we so I am sure that doesn't cloud your judgement at all

So why did you say us if you didn't design them? But yet more lies from you, you had issues not me and it was so much so you created a thread on here whining like a little girl instead of being an adult about which was all your own making as you lost the item and didnt include the other item I had asked you for only for me to find out a month later when I got the delivery. Then you said to me not to buy from you anymore, yet several months later you had the cheek to ask me to buy it off you as you had found it :lol: yeah okay then!!

You forced my opinion because you responded to my earlier post that you didn't read correctly which was about some of the AFA style cases. There's quite a few people on here that think the same about you and YOUR issues but hey it's up to others to make up their opinion. I just say it as I see it and gasp shock horror just because I don't agree with you then I must be wrong huh?

itfciain

Grand Master
Really - I had the cheek to ask you to buy it ? Or maybe I was just offering you the chance to get it back (at exactly the same price I refunded you straight away having admitted that I miss placed it whilst doing you a favour) - either way, you didn't have the decency to reply back to me.

Anyways - I am not going to bother to feed the troll anymore - you collect how you want

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
:lol: yes okay :lol: keep spinning your lies and wow you were doing me a favour after you told me not to buy from you again and your childish rant thread you started that was your own doing ..... okay then :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think you guys are gonna see eye to eye on this one, but if you want to keep ehh discussing it, take it to PM :wink:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Far to much time is wasted on chatting about grading and which case is best for which item IMO, I've fallen into that trap before.

Trouble is their are really strong opinions on both sides, which need to be respected.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom