Where are all the EBAY £1 starting bid auction ?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I remember when I started to collect in 2001 and looked after vintage star wars on EBAY. Then most of the auctions started with biddings at £1 or less.

Where are all this auctions today ? most start with much higher bids or buy it now. Why ? :? I am so tired of this high starting bids or crazy buy it now prices. Is it just me or is ebay changing from an auction site to a buy it now site :?

What do you think ?

subzero

Sith Lord
I do remember when I also first discovered ebay in 2001 and started collecting, 99p auctions were absolutely everywhere, every page was full of them.

Now I only ever see the odd 99p listing once in a while from sellers that aren't sure of the value, but most do start high these days.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
subzero said:
I do remember when I also first discovered ebay in 2001 and started collecting, 99p auctions were absolutely everywhere, every page was full of them.

Now I only ever see the odd 99p listing once in a while from sellers that aren't sure of the value, but most do start high these days.

I agree and why do they do it, prices is crazy at the moment so they will all sell for more than the 99p :?

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
They are getting fewer and fewer. It's a shame for buyers, but can understand from a seller's point of view to a certain extent.

I recently sold a mint, complete Dengar starting at 99p, finishing on a Sunday evening. Went for 99p, so I wasn't best happy at all. Starting from a higher price protects the seller from this sort of thing happening.

Section 8

Sith Lord
Ebay are now only charging a listing fee if the item sells. In the past people would list for 99p as this would avoid a listing fee. The change allows sellers to charge what ever they like and not worry about a fee if the item doesn't sell.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
Quick this guy's got a squillion on starting at £0.05

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/starwars1977-1985/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

And it's not me before you ask :lol:

Tread carefully... lots of repro and replacement bits in these listings. All openly described, but still not great is it... :roll:

ODB

Jedi Master
Well its because ebay now tell you a trending price to start your auction at even though the algorithm they use is woeful and can't correctly identify the exact details of listing. So people just follow this, combine with the fact that its free to start at these prices means no one starts low any more. All an attempt to get more from final valuation fees.

subzero

Sith Lord
ODB said:
Well its because ebay now tell you a trending price to start your auction at even though the algorithm they use is woeful and can't correctly identify the exact details of listing. So people just follow this, combine with the fact that its free to start at these prices means no one starts low any more. All an attempt to get more from final valuation fees.

That's an excellent point I forgot about that, ebay have been introducing little changes in recent years just like this one to the site, which has basically eliminated a lot of 'bargains' on ebay now.

I'm sure there are other changes too which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Cazza said:
They are getting fewer and fewer. It's a shame for buyers, but can understand from a seller's point of view to a certain extent.

I recently sold a mint, complete Dengar starting at 99p, finishing on a Sunday evening. Went for 99p, so I wasn't best happy at all. Starting from a higher price protects the seller from this sort of thing happening.

Sorry to read about it only sold for 99p I thought the price was higher today :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Quick this guy's got a squillion on starting at £0.05

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/starwars1977-1985/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

And it's not me before you ask :lol:

That is the cheapest starting bids that I have seen in a long time, nice 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
ODB said:

Thanks I did not know that I have never sold on ebay only bought :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I just tried to search for vintage star wars on ebay uk only in the uk 16.819 adds then I search for auctions. Only 1.987 out of the 16.819 in auctions
I must say I do not like it. With all this buy it now :evil:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom