Pali-tour 14th October 2017. Would it be of interest?

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
Last year I was fortunate enough to get access to the former Palitoy warehouses / factories and take a group of approximately 12 collector's on what I called a Pali-tour.

The tour started at Coalville where we were graced with a walk around of the site by former employees Bob Brechin and John Holmes who explained what happened where and how various departments evolved over time.

We then took a visit to Baker Street, the Mainline Train's warehouse and staff shop for a quick walkaround (trespass) of the site before going on to end the tour at the finished goods warehouse in Ashby.

The tour would have to take place on Saturday 14th October 2017 as it uses the AmCon (Action Man) show to access the Coalville site on a Saturday as it normally closed at weekends.
I would need to get in touch with my contact at the owners of the Ashby site to see if they would grant me access again this year to pull this all together but I am confident access would be granted.

I wanted to see if there was sufficient appetite on the Forum for me to look into the prospect of arranging one this year.

Two members of the community had previously stated after the last event that they would be interested if I ran another one so I would be needing another 10 interested parties.

The first 10 members expressing an interest would provisionally reserve a place until the tour is confirmed.
The only condition for access to Ashby is to wear Safety boots.

Laurence

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
It was excellent last year. Not sure how it could be made to happen at an AM themed event but my only suggestion for improvement would be for a more SW orientated tour of the Palitoy site. All those big dolly collectors are weird :lol:

I'd have come along again, if only to be there for the 40th year of when it all started (and maybe the excuse for the beer) but Echo Live is too much of a draw as it can provide at least half of that requirement for me :(

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Am on hol that wk with nothing planned as yet. Wouldn't mind a "Palitour" if Echo Base live wasn't on :x

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I might be interested, what time of day and how long is the tour likely to be Lawrence?

Looking at the map, Redditch (Echo Live) and Coalville are only c50 mins drive apart... is it possible to attend both?

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
I didn't realise that it was Echo live that day.
Extremely inconsiderate of Adam :lol:
The AmCon is a two day event so the Sunday is a possibility if most folk are in the area.

I have sent the request into my contact at Ashby to see if I can gain access on the Sunday. I have an auto reply to say he is away on holiday until the 14th of August so I will update the thread then with the plausibility of the tour being on the Sunday.

x-pack

Grand Master
it's possible I could make this. I just cannot commit 100% because of my new job which involves shifts. If numbers had to be confirmed then that probably excludes me.

I'm surprised there isn't an existing tour tied in with the AM show. Maybe it's all about the dolls for those guys :p

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
x-pack said:
it's possible I could make this. I just cannot commit 100% because of my new job which involves shifts. If numbers had to be confirmed then that probably excludes me.

I'm surprised there isn't an existing tour tied in with the AM show. Maybe it's all about the dolls for those guys :p

If I get the nod then we can provisionally mark you down as going. There was loads of ins and outs last year.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Had a chat with my Brother (Dan) and we'd both like to come if it goes ahead. Please pop us both on the list - thanks

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
SAVORY100 said:
Had a chat with my Brother (Dan) and we'd both like to come if it goes ahead. Please pop us both on the list - thanks

I suppose this is the list so consider yourself and Dan as being on it.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
I was slightly disappointed to recieve the following response from Ashby today declining the request for access on the specific date suggested.
The warehouse has now moved to a 7 day a week operation and the warehouse has now been fully racked out.

Looking at this in a possitive way, as disappointing as this maybe I am actually pleased for the company. They have made a significant investment in the warehouse so deserve a good return and to make a profit. Whilst they own the warehouse and are making a profit it also protects the warehouse from being flattened and a new building built in place like many other older buildings up and down the country.

I will work on gaining access for some other time that suits there business needs and then see if I can gain access to Coalville independently.

So for now it's a no go :( . Although I will work on an alternative and update if and when successful.

Unfortunately, I am unable to accommodate the site visit on the date that you are proposing. The warehouse operation is now running seven days a week since we have taken on new business. The warehouse has now been fully racked out and is full which is brilliant for us, but not great news for you.

If anything changes nearer the time I will contact you and let you know. You can then make a decision whether to visit or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom