My book The Star Wars Phenomenon in Britain is available as a pre-order - update with photos.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to say that my book is finally available for pre-order from Amazon. The eventual page count, price and release date has yet to be finalised because the publisher is still working on it (its currently being advertised at £30). What I can confirm is that it will include 60 plus rare and previously unreleased photos in B & W and appendices of the Palitoy range and comics saga. Amazon has a price guarantee where the eventual price of the book is what advance buyers will pay. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Phenomenon-Britain-Blockbuster/dp/1476666083

Starburst magazine has already given me 9/10 in a breathless review. I'm willing to send out copies of the book on PDF to influential reviewers, bloggers and podcasters. I'm very pleased to have Tom Berges on my side, in writing the foreword and helping to generate publicity. I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me along the way.

I'd really like people's help in emailing The Forbidden Planet, to ask when the book will appear in their shops. The more enquiries they get, the better chance they might take notice. [email protected]. It would be great if people could post review on Amazon of Goodreads if they've already read an electronic copy.

This is a book that I'm sure that everyone who has an interest in Star Wars will enjoy. It's a genuine time travel experience, with the reader taken a completely linear journey through the golden age of Star Wars in Great Britain. I hope people will be as amazed by the information that I uncovered as I was!

Craig.

***Update*** The final version of the cover has been released and some 'teaser' photos. I'd like to keep people guessing as to who is dressed as C-3PO (here in Britain) and where Vader is making his appearance.

If anyone asks me how to describe the book, I say that reads a bit like a novel, in a very story-teller like way. It begins right in the middle of the action, in the first week of June 1977, when Star Wars had opened big in America and Britain started going Star Wars crazy almost from that point onward. The staff at Palitoy had six months to get ready for the UK release of the film and all-new interviews explain how they did it. There is so much in the book that its difficult to sum it all up. I've covered the release and reviews of the films. The toys, comics, novels and other publications. The merchandising and publicity and the people behind it. The peripheral merchandise. The radio series broadcasts and Star Wars on Video and television including the viewing figures. I tracked the progress of the films town by town by spending countless hours in archives, looking at actual copies of old newspapers and magazines. The re-releases of the films at the cinema, the double and triple bills. The TV adverts and the programmes with SW content, complete with broadcast dates. There is a detailed account of the Lucasfilm cross country event and I even tracked down the local newspaper that advertised and reported on it.

I've spoken to fans who were aged four to nineteen at the time and I have followed their progress through the years and their Star Wars experiences - including some of the members here. I interviewed all of the "main" fans who had contact with the media who did a good job representing all of us crazies. Nobody will argue that the book is packed and I'm sure that who ever reads it will have a fantastic ride from 1977 through to the end of 1983.

All that's required now is the sequel that tells the story from 1984 to the present day, if I can get a little help from my friends!

Craig.

Attachments

• star wars book final cover.jpg
    star wars book final cover.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 854
  • mysterymanbooklogowithborder.jpg
    mysterymanbooklogowithborder.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 849
  • vaderkbooklogoandborder.jpg
    vaderkbooklogoandborder.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 849

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Fantastic, I've been looking forward to this. Pre-order placed.

Thanks for the heads up Craig!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Forbidden Planet emailed.
Looking forward to getting and reading this myself.
Good luck with the sales.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Great stuff.
Is it reviewed in the current edition of Starburst?

I don't know if you use Instagram but there's a bloke I follow on there @theknnerboy I think he's based in Norway but is a well-known collector of modern and vintage.
He might be worth contacting.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
tobedesu said:
Great stuff.
Is it reviewed in the current edition of Starburst?

I don't know if you use Instagram but there's a bloke I follow on there @theknnerboy I think he's based in Norway but is a well-known collector of modern and vintage.
He might be worth contacting.

I'm not sure when Starburst will print the review. Any promotional ideas are welcome!

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
AndyPreston said:
Fantastic, I've been looking forward to this. Pre-order placed.

Thanks for the heads up Craig!
A billion thanks. I think this may be my first sale. A historic moment!

Palifan

Sith Lord
Amazing work Craig!

So glad to see it's finally seeing a release, especially with all the hard work you've put into over the years. I'm not sure if it ended up differing much from what I read all that time ago but I can easily tell everyone here that it really is a fantastic and fascinating read and will not disappoint any Star Wars fan who was around at the time of the original release of Star Wars in the UK or for those that discovered the films at any point after.

Well done and hope it does all it deserves. :D

Ian

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Palifan said:
Amazing work Craig!

So glad to see it's finally seeing a release, especially with all the hard work you've put into over the years. I'm not sure if it ended up differing much from what I read all that time ago but I can easily tell everyone here that it really is a fantastic and fascinating read and will not disappoint any Star Wars fan who was around at the time of the original release of Star Wars in the UK or for those that discovered the films at any point after.

Well done and hope it does all it deserves. :D

Ian

Thanks for that. The book is even more packed now, as I discovered a lot more information along the way. People will be really surprised.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'll get on the case too. I'm really looking forward to it.

Coincidentally, earlier tonight ( when passing the former Glasgow Odeon and the subject turned to seeing Star Wars there ) I told my brother about this book!

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
chipsteak said:
I'll get on the case too. I'm really looking forward to it.

Coincidentally, earlier tonight ( when passing the former Glasgow Odeon and the subject turned to seeing Star Wars there ) I told my brother about this book!

Cheers, I really appreciate your support.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Pre-order placed Craig! Can't wait to see this on the shelves.
PM me if you'd like to exchange email addresses and send me some PDF pages to read/review as well as a few images (probably not the exclusive ones though!) that I can post (cover, interesting inside shots etc) as I have 11,500 Instagram followers on my Star Wars focussed account so there is some reach to promote the book there for you as you get closer to the pub date.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Been fortunate enough to read an early draft of this a few years ago.

This is definitive. An enormous amount of research and detail. As Star Wars collectors, I can guarantee that you will read about things you have never heard of or seen.

I cant wait to see how its evolved. This is essential to any Star Wars fan, and a must have for any Star Wars collector.

Well done Craig, and a massive thank you for a gift that is paramount to logging the early culture of Star Wars. Information that could have been lost forever if it wasn't like pro-active people like yourself.

Jez

Sith Lord
Mate this is great news. Let's get you on the podcast to talk about this yourself. You're in luck timing wise as we are recording next week.
Let's talk.
Congrats.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom