Any new stories to do with dealing with the other half?

stormcab

Sith Lord
I just bought my first MOC after a little dry spell, and my first thought is "crap, the missus is gonna be on my case asking how much THAT was?" :D

This topic has been discussed before, but would be good to hear any updated stories that have happened with new buys. My recent trick is to watch out for identical items I own selling online, then I show them to the missus and say "check that out, I paid blah blah for that, and one just sold for blah this much more blah". I always get a "wow" so that's me given a bit more on the leash :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Just say it cost half of what you actually paid, always, say it cost half of what you paid! :twisted:

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
TBH I think my missus has given in to the inevitable. She knows all the tutting and raised eyebrows isn't going to change a thing.

If there's a bit of resistance, I just show her a recent Vinyl Cape Jawa auction on Ebay. "I've got one of those upstairs" I exclaim. You can literally see the £ signs light up in her eyes.

Shallow bint :D

maxf

Jedi Master
Just don't spend money which is earmarked for joint stuff and never, ever, ever say 'we can't afford to do that' if you spent the money on SW. After that, **** it... you can always break the emergency glass and release the last resort 'I could be out spending the money on blow and hookers' phrase.

subzero

Sith Lord
Orrr, just mention the VCJ value whenever she says something negative, and convince her that can happen with possibly any figure you buy, she'll probably start buying them for you :D

Her - "You can't buy that because you spent lots already"
You - "Yeah but vinyl cape Jawa"

Her - "Don'y buy that it's too expensive"
You - "Yeah but vinyl cape Jawa"

Her - "What on earth did you spend that much money for?"
You - "Listen woman!!, vinyl cape Jawa"

Her - "Wow look at that MOC figure it's expensive but i'll buy it for you"
You - "Why thank you darling I love you lots :twisted: "

maxf

Jedi Master
yeah... I want this handbag - sell your vinyl caped jawa. We need a new kitchen - sell you vinyl caped jawa ;)

stormcab

Sith Lord
maxf said:
Just don't spend money which is earmarked for joint stuff and never, ever, ever say 'we can't afford to do that' if you spent the money on SW. After that, **** it... you can always break the emergency glass and release the last resort 'I could be out spending the money on blow and hookers' phrase.

Blow and hookers is a cheaper hobby :lol:

stormcab

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Just say it cost half of what you actually paid, always, say it cost half of what you paid! :twisted:

Problem is, anything over £20 raises an eyebrow. If I got the find of the century, an AFA 90 VCJ for £500, she'd say "HOW BLOODY MUCH!" :D

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I always keep my wife involved, if she's involved then the problem is halved. :?
I even take her along to FF, she enjoys a look around, and more oftern not spots something that I had not seen!
She's knows what most MOCs go fir these days, so I can't pull the wool over her eyes, and as maxf said, don't ever say "we can't afford that" if your spending money on Star Wars stuff. :wink:

stormcab

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
I always keep my wife involved, if she's involved then the problem is halved. :?
I even take her along to FF, she enjoys a look around, and more oftern not spots something that I had not seen!
She's knows what most MOCs go fir these days, so I can't pull the wool over her eyes, and as maxf said, don't ever say "we can't afford that" if your spending money on Star Wars stuff. :wink:

I don't lie to her, that's why I find it hard. I end up making note of all the little things she buys over a couple of months - bag £40, top £30, bits for her garden project £50, trip to Hobbycraft £25..... I think that equals a cheeky little mock for me 8)

subzero

Sith Lord
stormcab said:
Mini99 said:

I don't lie to her, that's why I find it hard. I end up making note of all the little things she buys over a couple of months - bag £40, top £30, bits for her garden project £50, trip to Hobbycraft £25..... I think that equals a cheeky little mock for me 8)

Women like smocks we like mocs, what can ya do?! :wink:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
stormcab said:
Mini99 said:

At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you both, this sound like a great compromise.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I thought everything either cost 'about £20, if I remember rightly', or else could be handled by employing the ever-reliable, 'What that old thing? That's not new, I've had it ages.' And of course, if neither of those work, there's always, 'Have you lost weight?' ;-)

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I rem keeping back what I paid out for stuff 20 years ago from my girlfriend at the time which when I think back was ridiculous as we were not even living together and my money was mine just as hers was hers :!:
My partner today know exactly what I spend and she has never had a prob as our life together has never been sacrificed in any way for SW :!:

Lindo

Sith Lord
I'm on the sick from work atm and confined to bed after an operation, it has been 2 weeks now and all I have done is watch daytime tv and shop, I have spent a small fortune in the last 2 weeks so now she has threatened to turn the router off downstairs knowing I cant get to it if I keep buying, so I just bought something off cassa before she knocks it off :)

stormcab

Sith Lord
Lindo said:
I'm on the sick from work atm and confined to bed after an operation, it has been 2 weeks now and all I have done is watch daytime tv and shop, I have spent a small fortune in the last 2 weeks so now she has threatened to turn the router off downstairs knowing I cant get to it if I keep buying, so I just bought something off cassa before she knocks it off :)

Mwahaha, that's bloody funny

wrighty

Sith Lord
We are looking to buy a house but I will have to sell a bit more than a few VCJ to make any difference so small purchases are not an issue!! :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,066

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
I don't discuss what I buy and if I do, I get the 'ol eye roll. She can't stand Star Wars and it drives her nuts that I'm "obsessed" with it. She did get pretty upset at me a few weeks ago when she saw there were a lot more boxes than she remembered. I quickly changed the subject to divert her attention, but it's not working as well of late. :eek:

Gaz46&2

Padawan
I wish I had one. My collects other stuff so completely understands my obsession. The only downside is that she's extremely clumsy, she will throw her bra at the washing bin at night time and still manages to knock my figures down.

Titan78

Padawan
I just wait until she notices and say (In a cartman voice) OI, stay away from my stuff hippy, now get back to the kitchen and make me a pie with Cheesey Puffs.
At this point Im usually rushed to A&E.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom