Tri Logo's

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Can someone please explain when and why Tri Logo MOCs became more desirable than Kenner MOCs?
This is not ment to stir emotions up, just a question that has been bugging me for a year or so now.
When I first collected MOCs (1980/90) the ones to go for were the Kenner ones, you almost couldn't give a TL away, if there was a choice everyone went for the Kenner ones.
I only ever had TL MOCs of figures that I could not afford to by on a Kenner card.
I don't know why this was, for me the bubble condition was nearly always better, and the figure seemed to "fit" the bubble on a Kenner card. Where as on a TL the figure would be rattling around in a bubble that was often too big, and the bubbles often damaged even back then.
Having been out of collecting for 15 years the whole collecting thing has been turned around and TL are prefered to Kenner.
Is this because of Kenner's yellowing bubbles or is it a case that the TL are rarer so more desirable, or have I tottaly got it wrong!
I can understand the Palitoy ones with the logo on the front being very desirable and rarer, but again why are Palitoy ones without a logo on prefered over Kenner ones, I can't remember anyone caring back then?
Is this just a taste thing, as there is no logo on the card front?
Just wondering when all this changed and why?

Titan78

Padawan
From what Ive seen its not just Trilogos, Palitoy, Meccano, popy, glasslite and every other maker is more desirable/expensive than kenner. I think the reason is there appears to be more Kenner moc than any other make so the laws of supply/demand take over. Also Trilogo bubbles dont yellow so this could be a factor, others could be miscards, almost every figure is available, alternate figure scenes.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
It's personal preference really mate. I don't think it's a matter of what are the "ones to go for". I would always advise collecting what you like. I don't really like them. I like the card with the three logos but the bubbles are ugly, too big and nearly always crushed/bent. I prefer normal Kenner and Palitoy Jedi Mocs. They are popular though (Trilogos), maybe they exist in smaller numbers or ones with nice bubbles are in short supply, I don't know. Trends change within collecting and for a while now people seem to be into Trilogos. Interesting you saying no-one gave a **** about them way back, I didn't collect then.

lejackal

Grand Master
People developed a better sense of taste over time :lol:

On a serious note I only ever remember seeing Trilogos in shops and I didn't get any figures until 1985 to the best of my knowledge

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
A few factors that have IMO contributed to their rise in recent years:

1) Kenner are by far the most plentiful MOCs with few exceptions. Trilogos aren't exactly rare, but there are dozens of 12 backs on eBay all the time, you can't say the same for main character trilogos
2) Trilogos appeal to all of Europe and American buyers as they were so widespread in the mid to late 80s
3) The bubbles don't go yellow
4) It's the longest run you can do of a single cardback (80 odd figures) which appeals to collectors

I've been collecting/following them for a long time, and it was around 2004/5 that they started to get more popular.

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
Dunno what you mean...... :)

Different bubbles, cards, stickers and even figures sometimes - all for the one character.

Love Tri-logos!

Attachments

• Tri-Logo Group Shot (Jan 2016).jpg
    Tri-Logo Group Shot (Jan 2016).jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 930

subzero

Sith Lord
Loving that 'Darth Squid Head' :lol:

I was actually going to post a similar question but now I can just add to this discussion. I was wondering why Kenner cards are in much larger supply compared to Palitoy in this country?, I would have thought there'd be more Palitoy MOC's around on ebay UK compared to Kenner MOC's, I see Kenner everywhere, 90% of the MOC's iv'e collected so far from within the UK have all been Kenner.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
So many were imported both at retail and by collectors over the last 25 years. Toy dealers in the 90s used to go to America and fill up suit cases with Kenner MOCs (sometimes trading for European ones) because that's what people wanted back then. The American market must have been well over 50% of the total global market, so it's no wonder Kenner cards are the most common in most cases.

subzero

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
So many were imported both at retail and by collectors over the last 25 years. Toy dealers in the 90s used to go to America and fill up suit cases with Kenner MOCs (sometimes trading for European ones) because that's what people wanted back then. The American market must have been well over 50% of the total global market, so it's no wonder Kenner cards are the most common in most cases.

Huh that's interesting, and then what would make it even worse ( i'm guessing ) is the UK is only a small country with less figures produced, and the US is huge with much more figures produced, so there'd be a lot more Kenner's that could be shipped over to swamp the UK with. Would I be right in guessing that?

ODB

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
A few factors that have IMO contributed to their rise in recent years:

1) Kenner are by far the most plentiful MOCs with few exceptions. Trilogos aren't exactly rare, but there are dozens of 12 backs on eBay all the time, you can't say the same for main character trilogos
2) Trilogos appeal to all of Europe and American buyers as they were so widespread in the mid to late 80s
3) The bubbles don't go yellow
4) It's the longest run you can do of a single cardback (80 odd figures) which appeals to collectors

I've been collecting/following them for a long time, and it was around 2004/5 that they started to get more popular.

Plus all the cool kids collect them too.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks to all that have posted re Tri Logo's.
I know that the bubbles yellow on Kenner, but personally I still prefer these to the TL ones, but will always consider a mint Tl for my collection, but these are getting rare and expensive now!
As mentioned in the opening question, I was not asking whats better, more why have they risen in popularity, when the last I remember buying at fairs they were considered the least desirable.
As you said Rob, tastes change, and I can see the appeal of many cards fronts for one figure.
Must say that that run of Darth Vader cards is impressive, particularly the Tie pilot and Squid misscards, really special.
Do misscards only turn up on TL, as I have never seen one on another card type?

kvavik

Jedi Knight
What Edd said.

I think most people in Europe grew up with trilogos. So they have a great audience. It's a standardized card for almost the whole line having both English, french and spanish logo. Over the years the knowledge and variation of these have been researched and documented by many key collectors. articles, forums, books, etc have been written about it. The more the information is out there, there more collectable. Similar things happen with pre prod after Sansweet, Guz and others researched, wrote and published. Proof cards were basically given away. 1,2,3 or 4 books later they are the hottest thing around.

It's still an exiting thing to collect, as not all is known about trilogos. More is to be discovered. :)

subzero

Sith Lord
I never liked tri logo cards, I remember seeing them on ebay 15 years ago and didn't like them, and this year getting back into collecting seeing them again I didn't like them and actively avoided them. With building up my ROTJ collection I preferred to have every card looking the same in a nice & neat matching collection of single logo cards, however when I accidentally came across a tri Ben that I bought in a lot of 3 MOC's the other month it was only then when I actually had one in my hands I realised how nice it looked and I couldn't bring myself to sell it or let it go.

I love having one in my collection and will be looking for more, I now love tri logo 8)

And tri logo bubbles are more fragile and are usually dented in and a bit crumpled, so to me personally whenever I spot that rare one with a bubble in nice shape straight away it seems more desirable for me to want.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom