Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

subzero

Sith Lord
What are some of the funny ( or lame ) excuses you tell yourself to justify spending more money on another figure when you know you really shouldn't?, some of mine lately have been...

"Well iv'e already spent 'x amount' on figures last week so another couple of figures won't hurt"

"I won't see one of these again in this condition for a long time so I NEED to buy this now"

"I'm going to buy that figure eventually anyway so I might as well get it now"

:lol:

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
"If I splash out on this item, I'll sell something to even things out."

Of course, the selling bit never happens :D

TBH, I'm pretty good when it comes to buying.
I've bottled countless auctions at the last second, when my conscience has kicked in.

subzero

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:

Lool same here, I forgot about that one, I still have a ton of games to sell that I was supposed to get rid of 2 weeks ago :lol:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I repeat: "Well I just spent x amount on the mortgage/ gas bill/ council tax/ phone bill- why shouldn't I buy something for me. I mean, that's what I work for. What's the point if you can't treat yourself once in a while."

Or I say, "I'll buy this and won't buy anything til after Easter/ Christmas/ payday/ etc."

Or "Well I've just spunked a load a few more quid won't hurt. Might as well go for broke."

Or my favourite: "well if I buy multiple items I'm saving on postage so in the long run it's a real bargain." As mentioned before the special Star Wars maths helps greatly.

That's part of the fun, the fear guilt and remorse.

subzero

Sith Lord
Dr_Ball_MD said:
"I'm pretty sure I can survive a week without food".

:lol:

Some funny excuses here, iv'e pretty much used all of the ones mentioned ( accept for the no food excuse haha ).

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
What would I rather own? This really nice Star Wars thing that I really want and will enjoy looking at for years, or these few pieces of paper with the Queen's head on them? ;-)

yoda

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Twin30mm said:

Lool same here, I forgot about that one, I still have a ton of games to sell that I was supposed to get rid of 2 weeks ago :lol:

This is exactly what happens me also!

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I've just completed the full run so I thought that would be it, done and dusted as it had been my goal for a while.

But lately I've been telling myself "well it's not really the same figure".

I've applied that to:
1. Lando Calrissian (teeth/ no teeth)
2. Han Trench Coat (plain lapels/ camo lapels)
3. Luke Jedi (green saber & snap cape/ blue saber & stitched cape)
4. Yoda (orange snake/ brown snake)

And they're not exactly cheap variants to get hold of... :D

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
I've just completed the full run so I thought that would be it, done and dusted as it had been my goal for a while.

But lately I've been telling myself "well it's not really the same figure".

I've applied that to:
1. Lando Calrissian (teeth/ no teeth)
2. Han Trench Coat (plain lapels/ camo lapels)
3. Luke Jedi (green saber & snap cape/ blue saber & stitched cape)
4. Yoda (orange snake/ brown snake)

And they're not exactly cheap variants to get hold of... :D

Yup iv'e gradually been going down that road too, just started out with the aim to get a nice basic set of the figures I wanted ( there's still quite a few I don't want ), but very slowly have started eyeing up variants, next thing I know I spent £100 on a Tri Fett when originally I only wanted just a standard Fett haha!

FYI, I now have four R2-D2's when I was convinced when I first started collecting I would have been satisfied with one lol 8)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Yup iv'e gradually been going down that road too, just started out with the aim to get a nice basic set of the figures I wanted ( there's still quite a few I don't want ), but very slowly have started eyeing up variants, next thing I know I spent £100 on a Tri Fett when originally I only wanted just a standard Fett haha!

FYI, I now have four R2-D2's when I was convinced when I first started collecting I would have been satisfied with one lol 8)

Yep, I've got the two C-3POs and three R2-D2s from the main collection. Told myself long ago they're different figures, just like buying the different Lukes or Hans. Haven't got into collecting The Droids Series yet but you never know...

Lately I've started collecting the Spanish line. Of course my latest excuse is that they're a completely different kettle of fish altogether. Haven't told the wife mind :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
subzero said:

Yep, I've got the two C-3POs and three R2-D2s from the main collection. Told myself long ago they're different figures, just like buying the different Lukes or Hans. Haven't got into collecting The Droids Series yet but you never know...

Lately I've started collecting the Spanish line. Of course my latest excuse is that they're a completely different kettle of fish altogether. Haven't told the wife mind :lol:

I suppose when it comes to the characters in different costumes they defo are different figures, like R2 sensorscope or solid top they're completely different variants. But when it comes to simple paint variations or figures from a different country manufacturer like PBP but the exact same costumed figure then it really is after all the exact same figure in my mind, the only paint variation iv'e dabbled into is Fett which I have 3 of now. As for all the other characters i'm still believing I will never collect any other paint variants, but we all know like you do that can quickly change haha!

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
subzero said:
I suppose when it comes to the characters in different costumes they defo are different figures, like R2 sensorscope or solid top they're completely different variants. But when it comes to simple paint variations or figures from a different country manufacturer like PBP but the exact same costumed figure then it really is after all the exact same figure in my mind, the only paint variation iv'e dabbled into is Fett which I have 3 of now. As for all the other characters i'm still believing I will never collect any other paint variants, but we all know like you do that can quickly change haha!

I've found variant collecting a very slippery slope.
Just where do you draw the line???

After completing the basic loose run a few years ago, my intention was to just collect the major variants e.g. VC Jawa, Blue Snag etc.
This has now mutated into collecting the major COO variants of each figure........and so it goes on.

I'm convinced I'll still be scouring Ebay for a Molded Legs Han Hoth, when I'm in my 70s :D

subzero

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
subzero said:

I've found variant collecting a very slippery slope.
Just where do you draw the line???

After completing the basic loose run a few years ago, my intention was to just collect the major variants e.g. VC Jawa, Blue Snag etc.
This has now mutated into collecting the major COO variants of each figure........and so it goes on.

I'm convinced I'll still be scouring Ebay for a Molded Legs Han Hoth, when I'm in my 70s :D

Exactly, that's the slope I really don't wanna go down lol but i'm confident though I'll never get into COO collecting, it really just doesn't do anything for me whatsoever so i'm hoping my beliefs stay that way. :lol:

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
subzero said:
i'm confident though I'll never get into COO collecting, it really just doesn't do anything for me whatsoever

Exactly the mantra I was spouting for years.
MOCs were financially out of my league, so loose variants seemed like the natural progression.

The next mantra is.......
"I'll never get into Bootleg collecting, it really just doesn't do anything for me whatsoever"

We'll see how that one goes..... :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
subzero said:
i'm confident though I'll never get into COO collecting, it really just doesn't do anything for me whatsoever

Exactly the mantra I was spouting for years.
MOCs were financially out of my league, so loose variants seemed like the natural progression.

The next mantra is.......
"I'll never get into Bootleg collecting, it really just doesn't do anything for me whatsoever"

We'll see how that one goes..... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I'll remember this thread and will dig it out in 5 years time to quote my comments, after iv'e got a full complete collection of every COO in the world :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom