Genuine Vintage Blaster's ?

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Guy's

What are your thoughts on these blaster's please http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Imperial-Blasters-Blue-Black-Vintage-Star-Wars-Figures-Weapon-Kenner-/391885018633?hash=item5b3e2ad609:g:cOYAAOSwILFZr~FD

many thanks

Stubbs

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
That sale stinks. Not sure without hunting them down but they look like the new batch of floating fakes that have been slightly roughed up. Parts of them are pristine clean and other parts have mud on :lol:

Just tried to check on TIG but it's having issues. I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole. They're all an identical mould but in two different colours. Given the number of mould variations I find this unlikely for 5 to end up in one batch. And all retrieved from the garden, too, apparently :roll:

aussiejames

Sith Lord
It is always best to ask via a picture not a link to a live auction listing. They are all real
s-l1600.jpg

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Interesting mixed opinions on these reproduction weapons are becoming very convincing.

subzero

Sith Lord
From what I can gather, the 3 bottom blasters if they're solid black then they're fake, they look identical to V4 blasters but the V4 was never in solid black.

If they're actually blue/black however then i'd say they're real blasters, the V4 also came in translucent green just like the top 2 blasters, problem with that pic though is I can't tell if they're translucent or solid.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Do not assume a blaster is fake if they seem solid black. The 'new reproductions' maybe causing an unnecessary hysteria- remember when the Toy Toni scandal broke?- 'all' Palitoy were suddenly fake....

subzero

Sith Lord
aussiejames said:
Do not assume a blaster is fake if they seem solid black. The 'new reproductions' maybe causing an unnecessary hysteria- remember when the Toy Toni scandal broke?- 'all' Palitoy were suddenly fake....

According to the TIG site only the V1 was solid black, so my logic is if it's solid black and it's not a V1 then it's fake.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
aussiejames said:
It is always best to ask via a picture not a link to a live auction listing. They are all real
Agree with AJ and subzero. You're looking at 5 x v4 blasters. Haven't seen any repros with that profile before. The version 4 cropped up in a recent thread and often throws people because it's so angular, shiny and so damned Repro looking.

The blue / black version often looks shiny solid black until placed in front of a backlight. That's why you often see it sold with the Luke Stormie instead of the v1c solid black.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
subzero said:
aussiejames said:

According to the TIG site only the V1 was solid black, so my logic is if it's solid black and it's not a V1 then it's fake.
I understand that logic, TIG tries really hard to list all known authentic & reproduction weapons & accessories. But that is not always possible. Only deem something fake if it matches a known fake exactly.

subzero

Sith Lord
aussiejames said:
subzero said:
aussiejames said:

I understand that logic, TIG tries really hard to list all known authentic & reproduction weapons & accessories. But that is not always possible. Only deem something fake if it matches a known fake exactly.

Ahh I understand, I thought TIG had info on every known weapon.

But the only thing with that logic then means the new lot of Leia blasters shouldn't have been deemed fake because it wasn't matched with any other known fake lol, iv'e read several people believing they could have easily been real but everybody is just basically following TIG's opinion, which could possibly be wrong.

Man this is confusing :?

lejackal

Grand Master
subzero said:
aussiejames said:
subzero said:

But the only thing with that logic then means the new lot of Leia blasters shouldn't have been deemed fake because it wasn't matched with any other known fake lol, iv'e read several people believing they could have easily been real but everybody is just basically following TIG's opinion, which could possibly be wrong.

Given how much Palitoy overstock has been on the market for 20-30 years it is incredibly unlikely (although not impossible) that a brand new "find" with a never before seen mold has just turned up at the same time as those blasters which were previously £10 are now considered £50 items. From my limited knowledge all of the legitimate overstock weapons that have been found to date have been of existing known mold types and there are examples in peoples collections, on MOCs and or in baggies

subzero

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
subzero said:
aussiejames said:

Given how much Palitoy overstock has been on the market for 20-30 years it is incredibly unlikely (although not impossible) that a brand new "find" with a never before seen mold has just turned up at the same time as those blasters which were previously £10 are now considered £50 items. From my limited knowledge all of the legitimate overstock weapons that have been found to date have been of existing known mold types and there are examples in peoples collections, on MOCs and or in baggies

So it basically comes down to weighing up all the evidence from all the documented real and repro blasters then deciding how 'likely' a weapon is to be original.

So although a new find 'could' be genuine the chances are so low it's considered fake.

lejackal

Grand Master
subzero said:
So it basically comes down to weighing up all the evidence from all the documented real and repro blasters then deciding how 'likely' a weapon is to be original.

So although a new find 'could' be genuine the chances are so low it's considered fake.
How else would you propose that they approach it?

subzero

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
subzero said:

How else would you propose that they approach it?

Well I pretty much know this would be the obvious approach anyway :lol:

I think i'm just leaning more towards a new find being possibly genuine if there's no other fakes to compare it to, and shouldn't be classed as guaranteed fake if it's an extremely close match.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
subzero said:
I think i'm just leaning more towards a new find being possibly genuine if there's no other fakes to compare it to, and shouldn't be classed as guaranteed fake if it's an extremely close match.

The question you've got to ask yourself is, given that we know there are no known documented instances of this variant of blaster occurring loose, in baggies or on Mocs (all 4 other variants have been proven), would you be prepared to buy one as an original, happy to receive one from somebody claiming it an original, or comfortable selling it on to someone else as an original?

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
subzero said:

The question you've got to ask yourself is, given that we know there are no known documented instances of this variant of blaster occurring loose, in baggies or on Mocs (all 4 other variants have been proven), would you be prepared to buy one as an original, happy to receive one from somebody claiming it an original, or comfortable selling it on to someone else as an original?

Hmm that would be a strong no :lol: , i'd choose the guaranteed and proven blaster every time for peace of mind anyway.

I always still have an open mind though it's just the way I am really.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
subzero said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
subzero said:

Hmm that would be a strong no :lol: , i'd choose the guaranteed and proven blaster every time for peace of mind anyway.

I always still have an open mind though it's just the way I am really.

And so you should, but where Repro is concerned guilty until proven innocent.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
subzero said:

I will try to explain myself better: if TIG pictured every possible colour 'variation' this would include poorly mixed colour batches etc. and then people's interpretations of blue/green vs green/blue gets all very confusing. Just look at these 32 rebel blasters. http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1002553
I split them into even more groups- and get to about 50!! I am not sure anyone wants to see that :lol:
As far as I know all known original 'moulds/shapes' are listed ( some updates are needed- 3rd ERG pike, Luke Bespin saber update etc.)

The 'original' fake Leia pistols were also examined by Steve at UKG & admins/members of various facebook groups so it was not just 'TIG's opinion'. The 'second release' of Leia pistols, Jawa & Imperial blasters are not being questioned at all as being legit ( as far as I know) and they ALL exhibit similar traits- texture, mould seam, injection point...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom