The LEGO Corner

lejackal

Grand Master
Lom said:
My Dad went up there to get one but came home empty handed - why just have 150? Don't get that...

Already out of stock online but sure they'll be making these for as long as they think they can sell them!
They're already being sold on ebay by shill bidding tossers trying to extract the maximum cash
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/282651498406?item=282651498406&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Lom said:
My Dad went up there to get one but came home empty handed - why just have 150? Don't get that...

Already out of stock online but sure they'll be making these for as long as they think they can sell them!

You are right mate. They will make as many of these as they can sell. Anyone willing to pay £650 and be patient will get one, of that I'm sure.

I am also predicting a lot of 2nd hand units. There's seems to be an awful lot of regret on the lego boards this morning.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yeah, I am only reading Brickset, but there is a growing realisation that the early bird got the worm and the sales have been through the roof.
Lego could have sold 300 last night, maybe 400, but i guess they wanted to keep it tight and had to draw a line somewhere. The thing was the queue didn't really fill up until 5:30/6ish, so there was a really good window of time to get in if you were able (the last part being the key point :) ).

as for the website, anyone hanging out for that option and not thinking the system would crap out was living in a dream world, the stack behind that site is more fragile than a posters ego and has failed at every major launch in the last decade.

What is a shame is local stores haven't been given good stock day one. but for lego they will report world wide sales were so good their entire production run went in 24hrs.

General feeling is that once the hubbub dies down and the gauge their standing stock levels, this will be easy to get for the next few years. It will just be the run between now and christmas that causes a problem

Lindo

Sith Lord
Got mine today, my mate got up at 6.30 this morning and ordered mine along with his, took over an hour for him to log onto his account apparently, will have it within the next 5-7 days apparently woot :D

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
monkey_roo said:
Yeah, I am only reading Brickset, but there is a growing realisation that the early bird got the worm and the sales have been through the roof.
Lego could have sold 300 last night, maybe 400, but i guess they wanted to keep it tight and had to draw a line somewhere. The thing was the queue didn't really fill up until 5:30/6ish, so there was a really good window of time to get in if you were able (the last part being the key point :) ).

as for the website, anyone hanging out for that option and not thinking the system would crap out was living in a dream world, the stack behind that site is more fragile than a posters ego and has failed at every major launch in the last decade.

What is a shame is local stores haven't been given good stock day one. but for lego they will report world wide sales were so good their entire production run went in 24hrs.

General feeling is that once the hubbub dies down and the gauge their standing stock levels, this will be easy to get for the next few years. It will just be the run between now and christmas that causes a problem

Great you managed to get one, Matt. That's a keeper for sure, especially with the photo and squiggle on the box. I agree on your points above. This whole setup was as thinly veiled (transparent) typical marketing excercise. When Lego have only negative news in terms of sales they needed this to be a rip roaring success: Their highest price point and brick count set of their biggest franchise could absolutely not be a failure. They will be able to squeeze the hype on this until well into January and sustain an artificially high level of demand for it by restricting supply.

As much as Lego (claim to) despise the secondary market and want to protect their IP and image, the secondary market is an absolute bellweather of how Lego is doing and where it's going. ATM the secondary market does not look that good at all. The rot started about 3 years ago but is well set now. I just hope that Lego will weather it well and all we'll see if a correction of the RRP and a reduction in the number of sets being churned out. They've become so big, however, that it will be impossible for those to be the only adjustments to the business.

Business press say it's due to the rise of computer games. Bollocks. That doesn't even begin to explain the current difficulties they're experiencing.

lejackal

Grand Master
monkey_roo said:
Ok, total Star Wars Lego brag post coming up.
8 hrs of queue, a wad of cash spent and hey presto.... UCS Falcon
Is that no. 77?

If so that has to be the ultimate number to have, particularly in the 40th anniversary year

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yes, N. 77 :) - i was very happy with that. The signed number on the box matches the unique Black VIP card i got, very cool

wrighty

Sith Lord
When I tried to buy it online, the Lego page keep telling me that I took too long to check out after 1 hour of so I got pissed off and left it and later it was sold out!! :evil:

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yeah, the only predictable thing about this launch was that the Lego website would crash and collapse under demand, as it has with every major release in the last decade.

There has been a fairly scathing backlash from the 'AFOL community' around this launch. Ignoring the fact that Lego didn't limit the purchases to 1 per household online, but rather 3, then the fact their systems totally lost it, and the fact they simply didn't have the stock to begin with has lead to many angry people.

The good news is stock will return, although when seems to be a bit of a mystery, so anyone wanting one will get one... Eventually.

But if Lego fail to solve their website issues and general stock management around major releases after this, which is off the back of the Saturn V, debacle, then they are going to continue to get bad press over their ecommerce systems, and rightly so.

Although the counter argument is simply. Lego simply say "Demand four our great product is so high it took down our robust site and sold out globally in a day... How good are we..."

Personally I hate that these sets are selling on evilbay for 1000's now, and not just the signed sets, regular ones are going for a pretty song as well - that sucks.

On that front my wife saw how much a signed one went for last night (£5,600) and enquirer if I would be selling mine... I declined, but I sensed that was the wrong answer :)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
It's all bullshit. It sold out instantaneously.

Now I had made enquiries about stock in a couple of local ish lego shops. Here in the southeast we get deliveries on a Monday.

So I call up Brighton in the afternoon. 8 came in on the delivery. 2 sold to people who had waited in store all day. 1 person was en route and no reservations. So I jumped in the car and drove down. 1 hr later and I got it. There were 4 still in the store.

They will be restocked consistently in small numbers every week to help perpetrate the myth they are difficult to get and then at Christmas they will drop loads. It's all just a strategy.

Incidentally, I can't build mine yet as it's my daughters birthday party on Saturday and we need the dining table. I'm then off on holiday so it's a treat for when I get back. I normally bin the boxes but I will have to keep this one so I have got all the bags out and put them in carrier bags in their numbered groups so I can get the box up to the loft. This is what the set contains:

IMG_7830.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Saw the Falcon in the Brighton store on Saturday... it's mahoosive! Very impressive, but way too much money. They said it was completely sold out everywhere, and I thought, hmmm so you've just released it and you haven't got any for sale? Don't believe the hype 8)

image.jpg

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Nah I don't either im sure there will be plenty on the run upto xmas. You don't really realise the size of the thing until you look at the minifigures next to it :eek:

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Robstyley said:
I don't think so, too big. You can see the figures bottom left, they look too small to me to be in scale.

Whoops beat me to it, I was in middle of posting mine when I had to take the dog out and then finish it when I came back :lol:

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I think Lego designers talk about it being the best approximation of scale they can do. So while it may not be perfect it is the best minifig scale version of the falcon (it is also the same size as the last UCS Falcon). The side on shot isn't the best to see, but if you get to see the model with the minifigs sat in the cockpit for example then it is to scale.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Really pleased you all got the new Falcon, enjoy the build.
I suspect that most of you will have this already, but just got a Slave 1, and can't wait to build it at Christmas.
Only my third Lego build, always buy one to fill the Christmas / New year lull.
Didn't realise that there was so many Lego enthusiasts on here.
Also must get round to making one of those "first 12" stands, they really are amazing.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Congrats on getting the Slave 1, its a great model have it myself. Ive got the UCS Tie Fighter but haven't built it yet its in storage as im supposed to be moving house at some point. But im aiming to get the UCS snowspeeder around xmas time.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Best time of year to build in my opinion :lol:
I have this one as my next buy for Christmas 18, have read that it's a great build, enjoy.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Dived into Leicester sq and grabbed an Lester figure. Loving these are now mass produced and 5.99 although those folks flogging their raffle won figures from the store opening for 1000's probably less so.

Got the last of the four POD's the other day, great fun things, hope more come out next year, love they are all different themes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 681

Latest posts

Top Bottom