A New Repro... THE COLLECTORS STRIKE BACK

yoda

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Oh no I respect that mate, i'm just commenting to let everyone else know that if they think it's too much then i'll take the info down, out of respect of it being a community decision.

The information of those 2 sellers you put up. Do you believe they are connected or is it the same seller and using 2 different eBay accounts?

subzero

Sith Lord
yoda said:
subzero said:
Oh no I respect that mate, i'm just commenting to let everyone else know that if they think it's too much then i'll take the info down, out of respect of it being a community decision.

The information of those 2 sellers you put up. Do you believe they are connected or is it the same seller and using 2 different eBay accounts?

I believe it's two different people who closely know each other, either both in the same house or same town.

yoda

Sith Lord
subzero said:
yoda said:
subzero said:

I believe it's two different people who closely know each other, either both in the same house or same town.

Yes it does look like that.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
subzero said:
If more people are in agreement that it's a bit too much then i'll delete the info.

I think it is fine if some will report them. We have to stop them, one day we can't see the difference, sooner or later they will make them on 3D printers. A few years ago I tried to contact disney about it and I have also contacted Hasbro about it before disney bought star wars and they did nothing. They only sell them for the money not to help other collectors who do not have the money to buy the original ones. If they made them to help people, then they would have marked them so they were easy to spot or as the old ones painted, sink in water and some float in water. It was much easier then to ID them and the old weapons was made to help the poor collectors that are not rich.

subzero

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
They only sell them for the money not to help other collectors who do not have the money to buy the original ones. If they made them to help people, then they would have marked them.

That's true, as what's been said here before the no.1 main reason they're selling these is for profit plain and simple, collectors on here have contacted joggers78 to kindly tell her what damage she's doing to this hobby, and all they got in response was an arsy message mocking them and insulting them about it. And as for paugildin-6 that seller he started out selling these blasters as 100% genuine for £25 each with the full intention to defraud collectors and he managed to scam tens of people until he stopped it, the only reason he stopped doing it was because of the amount of clued up collectors messaging him about them being fake, and others returning the blasters, so he knew he couldn't keep getting away with it so then turned to selling them as high quality repros so others can possibly sell them on as genuine. If these 2 sellers 'care' about the collectors like they've previously said then they'd mark the repros even in a tiny way on the handle or something, there's no need to sell them as near perfect copies if they're being used for displays.

My personal opinion is reporting them is fine, if they actually registered their repro money making scheme as a legit business with HMRC then they'd be paying 25% tax and insurance out of their profits from these sales, which would probably wipe out most of their profit and then they wouldn't have bothered selling these at all then, so evading tax could be the main reason what's keeping them in business.

Personally if I could go back in time and stop toytoni in his tracks very early on by reporting him I wouldn't hesitate.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I've just seen the thread on TIG about the fake Jabba's Throne DOOR which was sold on eBay as real. It's hardly a tiny commonly lost item, FFS. Repro wouldn't have even been a consideration to look out for if I was that buyer. For a split second I thought it was April 1st.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Sadly it seem its far too late to stop this now. Reminds me of the saying, closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

In the good old days, repros were honest enough and just used as fillers - it wasn't really seen as a concern - the real thing weren't particularly expensive, just hard to find pre-ebay so repro was a convenient choice.

There was far less attention and importance placed on matching specific details like mould families or very specific factory variations - nevermind the colour of accessories, so if your Stormtrooper had a grey imperial blaster -who cared?

As accessories have become more expensive than the figures they belong to (in almost all cases) there is no way that a successful repro-er is going to produce them in non genuine colours after working hard to match seemingly insignificant details.

I'm happy that all my stuff is ok as it's been with me a while and I know enough, but I would hate to be starting out now from scratch. I honestly don't think I'd bother.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
subzero said:
Pomse2001 said:
They only sell them for the money not to help other collectors who do not have the money to buy the original ones. If they made them to help people, then they would have marked them.

That's true, as what's been said here before the no.1 main reason they're selling these is for profit plain and simple, collectors on here have contacted joggers78 to kindly tell her what damage she's doing to this hobby, and all they got in response was an arsy message mocking them and insulting them about it. And as for paugildin-6 that seller he started out selling these blasters as 100% genuine for £25 each with the full intention to defraud collectors and he managed to scam tens of people until he stopped it, the only reason he stopped doing it was because of the amount of clued up collectors messaging him about them being fake, and others returning the blasters, so he knew he couldn't keep getting away with it so then turned to selling them as high quality repros so others can possibly sell them on as genuine. If these 2 sellers 'care' about the collectors like they've previously said then they'd mark the repros even in a tiny way on the handle or something, there's no need to sell them as near perfect copies if they're being used for displays.

My personal opinion is reporting them is fine, if they actually registered their repro money making scheme as a legit business with HMRC then they'd be paying 25% tax and insurance out of their profits from these sales, which would probably wipe out most of their profit and then they wouldn't have bothered selling these at all then, so evading tax could be the main reason what's keeping them in business.

Personally if I could go back in time and stop toytoni in his tracks very early on by reporting him I wouldn't hesitate.

I totally agree, stop them. But I am also sure when they are stopped. Then there will be some new guys making some repro just to earn some money :evil: and they do not care about any one, they only care about money for them self.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom