Header image

Buying from the States/Facebook

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Buying from the States/Facebook

Postby subzero » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:45 am

peekaygee73 wrote:
subzero wrote:Also another cheeky way around the VAT is to ask the seller if they can ship the item as a gift and mark the value under $20, 90% of sellers won't do it for obvious reasons but you can get lucky and get a surprising "yes" from the seller, usually when they just want to get the sale for an item that's taking a while to sell. I bought a He-Man MOC figure this year for £430 with shipping and paid zero import 8)

Risky though; if it's sent as gift you're not covered should your item disappear in the post. When you're talking about a 5% customs charge (and I know it involves a lot of red tape to claim back as they usually charge 20%) it's worth paying for the peace of mind on an expensive item.

Isn't that more of a risk on the seller's part?.. I always assumed it would only affect the parcel sender if it went missing?

Because on ebay you can buy anything from the states and not have any control over how the seller ships it, so wouldn't ebay protect the purchase anyway for the buyer?, because it's down to the sender to make claims for their missing parcels.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 pm

subzero wrote:
peekaygee73 wrote:
subzero wrote:Also another cheeky way around the VAT is to ask the seller if they can ship the item as a gift and mark the value under $20, 90% of sellers won't do it for obvious reasons but you can get lucky and get a surprising "yes" from the seller, usually when they just want to get the sale for an item that's taking a while to sell. I bought a He-Man MOC figure this year for £430 with shipping and paid zero import 8)

Risky though; if it's sent as gift you're not covered should your item disappear in the post. When you're talking about a 5% customs charge (and I know it involves a lot of red tape to claim back as they usually charge 20%) it's worth paying for the peace of mind on an expensive item.

Isn't that more of a risk on the seller's part?.. I always assumed it would only affect the parcel sender if it went missing?

Because on ebay you can buy anything from the states and not have any control over how the seller ships it, so wouldn't ebay protect the purchase anyway for the buyer?, because it's down to the sender to make claims for their missing parcels.

That is quite true. If your eBay item does not arrive, you will get your money back regardless of how it was posted. However, if your item does go missing, it's still a pain to not only have to claim your money back, but also not to have the nice and pretty thing you had your heart set on receiving :-).

Having said that, it's very true that the buyer has no control at all over how the seller chooses to send your delivery. I once bought a loose Takara Vader from Canada. It certainly wasn't cheap, and I certainly did not request that the seller send it as a gift, but because the package would be small, and because it was travelling from Canada to the UK, the seller simply decided (and told me as much too!) that he was happy to mark it as a gift, and it duly arrived tax-free! :D

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
subzero wrote:
peekaygee73 wrote:Risky though; if it's sent as gift you're not covered should your item disappear in the post. When you're talking about a 5% customs charge (and I know it involves a lot of red tape to claim back as they usually charge 20%) it's worth paying for the peace of mind on an expensive item.

That is quite true. If your eBay item does not arrive, you will get your money back regardless of how it was posted. However, if your item does go missing, it's still a pain to not only have to claim your money back, but also not to have the nice and pretty thing you had your heart set on receiving :-).

Having said that, it's very true that the buyer has no control at all over how the seller chooses to send your delivery. I once bought a loose Takara Vader from Canada. It certainly wasn't cheap, and I certainly did not request that the seller send it as a gift, but because the package would be small, and because it was travelling from Canada to the UK, the seller simply decided (and told me as much too!) that he was happy to mark it as a gift, and it duly arrived tax-free! :D

Only thing is though having it insured for the full value doesn't stop it from going walkies :wink:

Can't beat a bit of good old fashioned tax evasion lol, same thing happened with me with my He-Man figure which I didn't request to have it sent by gift, I sent an offer which was low because I was factoring in how much i'd have to pay with import and told the seller that's why I offered low, so he replied and said he'd send it as a gift for me if I put a $100 higher bid in, win/win situation! 8)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 pm

I have to agree that internet and FB have made the collecting world much smaller. I buy from US all the time, fortunately enough I have a good friend that take delivery in the US and every few months forward me a big parcel. You will see that some US sale postage is included within US and same with eBay, the only down side is you have to wait months for an item to arrive, for me its not a problem. Also Oz have a $1000 limit on items before you get tax. Good luck with your search around the world!! :D

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Do any of you sell to Europe and the rest of the world, and if so how do you find it works?

I’ve avoided selling there so far on eBay because you hear of so many stories of negative feedback for postage costs set by the global shipping programme or issues with customs. However, I’ve just sold my first item overseas on Jabba’s Palace.

I assume that like in this country it is the buyer who would need to pay for any customs tax their end, so do you advise the buyer that they will need to factor in any customs tax before purchase, and does the tax applied differ from country to country? Would you advise using the global shipping programme or just posting through Royal Mail (and which is the most cost effective?)
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Where did you sell to?
If it’s within the EU I don’t think that there is any customs duty.
I have not sold anything myself but have purchased from the EU before and have not had any duty to pay.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Mini99 wrote:Where did you sell to?
If it’s within the EU I don’t think that there is any customs duty.
I have not sold anything myself but have purchased from the EU before and have not had any duty to pay.

Santiago, Chile
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Sorry I have had no dealing with sending/buying from there, but suspect that the item would be subject to customs duty.
But whatever it is it will be down to the buyer, might be worth bringing the matter up in any correspondence?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”