Does Trade Bait Work?

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Of late, trading is all I do to acquire new stuff. Prices are high so for me it's easier to trade comparably valuable things. I've let go of a few items I will never ( unlikely) be able to replace but swapped them for things I thought I'd never own...

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
So do you think it is more productive to buy things you do not want specifically to trade instead of offering an above market price for an item or offering to buy the whole collection to get a few pieces within it?

wrighty

Sith Lord
In my experience trait will work better trading rare stuff for rare stuff, don't even bother with common stuff. I think like pre-production stuff maybe but you are risking it. I prefer just to buy what I want and not have cash tied up in things I can't move!! Just my 2 cents!!

subzero

Sith Lord
I wonder if anyone out there has gradually traded their way up, starting with a cheap item then ending up having a really expensive figure?

ie starting with a £100 MOC, trading that for a £120, then trading that for a £150, then so on and so on till they have a £2000+ MOC. :twisted:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
wrighty said:
In my experience trait will work better trading rare stuff for rare stuff, don't even bother with common stuff. I think like pre-production stuff maybe but you are risking it. I prefer just to buy what I want and not have cash tied up in things I can't move!! Just my 2 cents!!

I think you are probably right about tying up cash as I don't seem to be particularly good at trading and I don't like selling so moving forward it is probably best I only buy what I want. I bought a few 41/45A backs some to keep and some to trade but no one seems to want to trade 41/45A for 30 Backs and I don't enjoy selling so I am left with items I don't want, hopefully I will get into them over time.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As above only really for rare/desirable stuff. But it definitely does work.

wrighty

Sith Lord
And also sometimes you have to actually trade something you want for something you want more, sacrifice. :D

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I do have some rare 41/45A MOC to trade I just guess they must be a lot less desirable than 30 backs!

Sorry, very wrong. If a collector collects 45as then they are what's extremely desirable to that collector. They are just as valuable to that collector as your precious 30 backs are to you.

I know you're talking generally about the marketplace but knowing a collector is stockpiling particular items for long periods of time on the off-chance that they might be useful for trade bait is going to do nothing other than piss people off.

Trade to trade, if no one wants them then sell, there are only so many Palitoy collectors out there who can/will ever want them. If they don't want them what are you actually achieving? You're just buying yourself more serious negative goodwill when people find out what you've got ...

yoda

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I do have some rare 41/45A MOC to trade I just guess they must be a lot less desirable than 30 backs!

Sorry, very wrong. If a collector collects 45as then they are what's extremely desirable to that collector. They are just as valuable to that collector as your precious 30 backs are to you.

I know you're talking generally about the marketplace but knowing a collector is stockpiling particular items for long periods of time on the off-chance that they might be useful for trade bait is going to do nothing other than piss people off.

Trade to trade, if no one wants them then sell, there are only so many Palitoy collectors out there who can/will ever want them. If they don't want them what are you actually achieving? You're just buying yourself more serious negative goodwill when people find out what you've got ...

I would agree with this.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I am happy to collect 41/45A as I find any MOC with a Palitoy logo on interesting but my priority is 30 Backs. So although collecting 41/45A's I will always be prepared to trade them for the right 30 Back. Surely this is not the same as stockpiling something.

How do you know when the right time to sell is as just because someone won't trade today doesn't mean they won't trade tomorrow.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I have heard many collectors use the term trade bait I believe the phrase refers to an action which involves buying an item specifically to trade are you saying this is unacceptable?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I have heard many collectors use the term trade bait I believe the phrase refers to an action which involves buying an item specifically to trade are you saying this is unacceptable?

I don't no, are you saying this is unacceptable? What is trade bait? Do you do this often and if so when and with what items. I'm just intrigued.

yoda

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:

I don't think it's unacceptable it's your business, I just would rather buy something that I truly want for my own collection. I wouldn't put energy into buying something hoping someone else wants it at a later stage. Why have you bought any items you have no interest in at all? And if you have were they just for the purpose of trading at a later stage? Is that why your asking the question?

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
If you want to trade for something rare you need to offer something rare. Ain't no one trading common for rare unless it's ridiculously stacked in their favour. Why would you when you can just wait out the common stuff in the future and buy it yourself.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I have never done it intentionally I bought some 41/45A's with the intention of collecting them then changed my mind about collecting them and thought I would try to sell them as complete set but could not find any buyers so thought I would try to trade them. I often change my mind in collecting as I am a very spontaneous collector so what I don't want today I may start collecting tomorrow, but that's me!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom