Imperial Troop Transport Appreciation Thread

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Bagged myself a Palitoy Imperial Troop Transport a few weeks ago for a very reasonable £50 ish. The box is good, but the sound wasn't working and there were no prisoner restraints. Sourced the restraints pretty quickly and last weekend, I finally took the plunge and set about fixing the sound.

The battery terminals were in a shocking state and I had to completely remove them and soak them in vinegar. That wasn't the only problem, as the sound still didn't work, even when hooked up to a battery. Looked at a couple of guides on Youtube etc, but they didn't go far enough. So, I took the whole sound box apart. The rubber band had come off the spindle, which was obviously the main problem. Managed to loop it back on, which was a little fiddly, hooked it up to the battery again, but no sound. It was clearly spinning, but was making a clicking noise and not selecting the different sounds. After much head scratching and fiddling around, I realised that I had the battery polarity the wrong way around. What a total dufus! :lol: Sorted it and it worked perfectly. Got it all back together and have been playing with it since :lol:

It's at this stage, that I want to express my sheer joy at this vehicle. It was so rewarding getting it completed and working again. The mini record player is absolute genius! 8) It's just so cool. My boys thought it was amazing, as did my wife. No wonder it was pricey back in the day. The rest of the vehicle is also awesome- troop carrier, pilot seats, cannons, prisoner restraints etc etc. So much play value! My only memory of it as a kid are (I'm pretty sure) from a TV advert. I remember thinking it looked great, but never remember seeing it in the shops and none of my mates had it, as far as I can remember.

Anyone else have an irrational love of this fine toy? :)

*EDIT* Found the advert 8)
[youtube]4GZstCjGpUc[/youtube]

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
No, it's not irrational at all - I absolutely love this vehicle!

I always wanted one as a kid and never had one, though one of the lads down the road had one; I seem to remember it and a couple of figures were his only Star Wars toys. I finally set about bagging myself a boxed Palitoy one a couple of years ago. I got one in a really nice box, but had similar problems with the sound. A little cleaning and WD40 soon sorted that out. You're right, the play value with it is huge and I know it would've kept me quiet for hours as a kid.

I have a Palitoy K9 from 'Doctor Who' which works on exactly the same principle with the little plastic record - it even has different sounds on each side. Ingenious.

x-wingMark

Jedi Master
It was the first Star Wars vehicle we had back in the day. It was my brothers but I had the hand me downs. :D

My sound is currently not working so will have to clean it up too.

Also added the imperial cruiser this year.

image.jpeg

Still missing a few bits that I need to look out for.

grinchy

Sith Lord
Certainly an impressive vehicle, I never had one as a kid but a friend of mine did, happy memories playing with it
I picked one up on ebay a few years ago, sounds still work, and I sourced a battery cover and restraint from a member here :D

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Steve, love the different boxes. Everything looks so good with an ESB logo!

Capetown- that's a real stunner :shock:

Moosinthehoos- really good guides- wish I'd seen those before I sorted mine, although it was kinda fun figuring it out myself. The other guides I found on Youtube only took one side off and didn't talk about the spindle at all.

lejackal

Grand Master
This is one of many things I've never owned as a man child or as a kid, it's on my list of must get one to try at some point

spoons

Grand Master
Love this ship, I just have a couple of projects but it has a very special place in my heart.

It was the first vintage ship I rember playing with as a kid, would have been around 1979/1980 at my childminders.

It was also one of the first ships i picked up as a collector. 5p from a bootsale

some beauties above, I really need to get a decent boxed version

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Great story, I have the same problem with 3 of my transports. The sound does not work. I saw a youtube video about how to repair it. But I still thought it was to difficult for me :( But I have one where the sounds works.

Great boxes you guys have :D

Love the cruiser boxes so much 8)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Great story, I have the same problem with 3 of my transports. The sound does not work. I saw a youtube video about how to repair it. But I still thought it was to difficult for me :( But I have one where the sounds works.

Give it a go mate- not difficult, just a little fiddly. The links posted above are excellent 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Cazza said:
Pomse2001 said:

Give it a go mate- not difficult, just a little fiddly. The links posted above are excellent 8)

Thanks, I don't think I have seen this 2 links before. But I saw a video once where there was a video about the repair from the start to the end. And I tried to start on it, but after the first screws I thought it was difficult. I have no problems with x-wing, tie advance, tie fighters, b-wings, snow speeders, at-st and the isp-6 but that one damn it is difficult for me :( but maybe I should try again :?

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
I love the Imperial Troop Transport very much. As a kid the local toy shop had one, but those days it was a very expensive toy and eventually I bought a carded stormtrooper leaving the ITT behind :cry:

Last year I bought the Imperial Troop Transport without box. The friendly guy who sold me this one mentioned that he had not tested the sounds and he believed they didn't work. So he was honest, but hey, how lucky I was finding out that everything worked! :D

I believe it is the Palitoy version because of the grey battery lid. It is missing the red striped stickers on the doors, but besides this it is complete and in a neat state. Would have been cool seeing this one in the OT 8) :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_2070.jpg
    IMG_2070.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,169

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Very nice! Here's mine- needs some stickers.

Attachments

• 20171109_181902.jpg
    20171109_181902.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 20171109_185240.jpg
    20171109_185240.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,141

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm a latecomer to the transport party and I think it's mine that prompted Cazza to bump the thread. I had been fancying one but it was important the sound worked: I like the idea of fragile tiny records surviving all this time. I bought mine from eBay advertised as complete but making an unintelligible sound. From experience, I know that vintage SW motors can be awoken by simply pressing them repeatedly for ages like a desperate child who can't accept his toy has broken. And if it makes any sort of sound then said persevering tends to work. That's as good as my repair skills get. And now it works perfectly as you'll see in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-HdKc9U9x8

It's a piece from just before my time as I'm a child of ESB and I never really longed after it like some other early toys but I'm loving it, especially the sounds. I admit to actually playing with this thing. God, I'd have loved this as a kid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom