Does Trade Bait Work?

yoda

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I have never done it intentionally I bought some 41/45A's with the intention of collecting them then changed my mind about collecting them and thought I would try to sell them as complete set but could not find any buyers so thought I would try to trade them. I often change my mind in collecting as I am a very spontaneous collector so what I don't want today I may start collecting tomorrow, but that's me!

Oh ok I'm sure they'll sell ok for you at some stage.

Burto

Padawan
In my opinion the majority of 30 back cards you are after are achievable, given time. The issue is you are after the illusive 85 grade, I'm not sure how up to date the toygrader site is but take the ATAT Driver. Only one example has been graded and that graded an 85, that to me means that basically means you are after a one of a kind item, and the chances are the owner would not be willing to part with it, either by selling it, or what we are discussing here, trading it.

It's always beneficial to have items ready to trade, but if no one out there is willing to trade, either keep the 41/45a for your collection, or sell thee on to others who would appreciate them in their own collections.

You never know, if you get a rapport with someone and do them a favour by selling them a card they either want or need, they will most likely remember that and in turn to point you in the right direction if and when an item becomes available that you are after at some point in the future.

That's certainly how I obtained many of my rare cards in the past, networking with fellow friends and collectors.....

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Trading is more often like waiting for the stars to align. Rare things put a lot of people out of the market instantly. So you end up looking for someone who specifically wants your item - and also just so happens to have (and not want) the item you are looking for. It's definitely not easy. Incredibly hard, almost impossible at times.

You get situations where it will be a figure focus collector looking for a pali 41 of that particular figure. But they most likely wont have a trade because all they have is 1 figure, so they don't have spare palitoys available for you.

So like I said, you got to wait for the stars to align - and if you miss that moment it could be a loooong time before they align again.

So much easier to sell - cos later on cash is easier to trade for items. Whilst we all have out focussed areas, we all collect cash.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
This statement is going to be so obvious, it shouldn't really need making, but just in case anyone hasn't thought of it yet (and with sincere apologies to those who will quite rightly view this as teaching granny to suck eggs), trading any item for another, whether those items are common, uncommon, rare or mega-rare, is entirely dependent on both parties wanting what the other is offering.

I do not own a Palitoy 30 back Boba Fett, but would like to. If I own a one-of-a-kind, incredibly valuable GI Joe figure worth far more than Mr Fett (which I don't, but if I did...) and I offer to trade it with someone who has a 30 back Boba Fett, unless that person wants the GI Joe figure more than their Boba Fett, they're not going to trade with me. If instead, I offer an entire set of Palitoy 12 and 20 backs, including vinyl Jawa and large head Han, plus a dozen other mint 30 backs (which again, sadly I don't have, but if I did...), once again, unless the owner of the Boba Fett wants those other figures more than their Fett, they ain't parting with it (and let's face it, they're not going to find another one very quickly if they did part with it).

Sometimes it's not about the rarity of what you're offering or even the value of it. If the person with the thing that you want doesn't wish to part with it, then you won't get it.

Wreck-It Ralph, from your posts in this and other threads (e.g. http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34213&start=30), with respect, you do not sound like the most patient person in the world, and instead (rightly or wrongly) come across as wanting to have everything right now. You are clearly very wealthy indeed (or have ready access to large funds) and hence have a lot of buying power, which certainly works for buying items available in the marketplace. The tone and nature of your recent posts however suggests strongly that you may feel you have exhausted all of the easy options when it comes to buying rarities quickly, and are now scouring about for other means of getting what you still desire. If you stick at it and are willing to be patient (and we could easily be talking about waiting for many years, in some cases, not just a few short weeks or months), cultivate good relationships with other collectors, develop a good reputation and don't piss people off, I daresay you'll probably manage to acquire some more of the things that you still want. If you're not willing or are unable to do that, then you probably won't. However some items are so rare and so desirable than you may very well never own them, no matter how much money you have and no matter what you do to try to acquire them.

There's a life lesson for us all here. We don't always get what we want.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom