The beginning of the end?

kieatky

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
kieatky said:
Bring back the 1990's, where you could attend any local boot sale/school fair and get a bag full of figures for 10p each. Now that was sensible pricing :D
Nice to see you posting again mate

Thanks, I've been away for far too long, hopefully the things that kept me away have all been sorted now so happy days. Seams like a lot has changed since I was last here though, doesn't appear to be that many items in the 'for sale' section any more? I've looked on some facebook groups but decided they weren't for me as soon as I read that people are now thinking 'Toy Toni's' are ok :shock: :shock: :shock:

lejackal

Grand Master
kieatky said:
lejackal said:
kieatky said:
Bring back the 1990's, where you could attend any local boot sale/school fair and get a bag full of figures for 10p each. Now that was sensible pricing :D
Nice to see you posting again mate

Thanks, I've been away for far too long, hopefully the things that kept me away have all been sorted now so happy days. Seams like a lot has changed since I was last here though, doesn't appear to be that many items in the 'for sale' section any more? I've looked on some facebook groups but decided they weren't for me as soon as I read that people are now thinking 'Toy Toni's' are ok :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah, things have changed a bit since we last chatted. Forum sales are slow but still there. TT sales I think would be fine at a sensible price but people are auctioning them and they are getting bid up to nearly legit MOC prices.
Jabbas is actually a decent group but as I'm sure you know eBay has the best bargains

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Looks that way, but things will climb again soon. They always do and it will get to tougher. I myself feel estranged from the hobby now. Its changed so much, and it seems as though the innocence of it is slowly disappearing. Gone are the days of flicking through m and c mart and seeing what's new or meeting people/dealers to see what they have.

I myself will be bowing out of collecting soon. My guitar playing/recording is taking more of a front seat now and I have nowhere near as much passion for SW as I used to ( plus Mesa Boogie amps are expensive :lol: ). I'm going to sell a lot of stuff as I've thought about things a lot lately. I'll be keeping a few pieces but I'm out of the game for good now. I haven't felt this positive about leaving the hobby for a long time. Things happened this year that made me re-think my life totally. Nearly losing my wife to meningitis was the main reason and also that life is there to live and to do what you want to do right when you want to.

maxf

Jedi Master
_Lee_ said:
Nearly losing my wife to meningitis was the main reason and also that life is there to live and to do what you want to do right when you want to.

Bloody hell mate - that's rough! Glad she came through and hope she's 100% now. I don't blame you letting that focus your mind.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
mr_palitoy said:
I think the market is good as long as Disney are churning out new content.

The thing that will bring on the big decline in vintage prices will be when the collectors starting passing on.

If you go to the likes of Barry Potter, its stuffed full of corgi/matchbox cars and trains from the 50s/60s and not many buyers. That will be Star Wars in 20-30 years time.

:eek:

Jason

I don't think you can compare Corgi and Trains to Star Wars that's like comparing Austin to Ferrari, if Austin prices drop that doesn't mean Ferrari prices will also drop! Star Wars is a Global Phenomenon backed by Disney and big part of Pop Culture both now and in the future. I think prices will continue to rise!

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
_Lee_ said:
Looks that way, but things will climb again soon. They always do and it will get to tougher. I myself feel estranged from the hobby now. Its changed so much, and it seems as though the innocence of it is slowly disappearing. Gone are the days of flicking through m and c mart and seeing what's new or meeting people/dealers to see what they have.

I myself will be bowing out of collecting soon. My guitar playing/recording is taking more of a front seat now and I have nowhere near as much passion for SW as I used to ( plus Mesa Boogie amps are expensive :lol: ). I'm going to sell a lot of stuff as I've thought about things a lot lately. I'll be keeping a few pieces but I'm out of the game for good now. I haven't felt this positive about leaving the hobby for a long time. Things happened this year that made me re-think my life totally. Nearly losing my wife to meningitis was the main reason and also that life is there to live and to do what you want to do right when you want to.

Sounds like you have had a really tough time. I lost my Dad to Cancer this year and for a while I contemplated selling my collection but after a few months out of the hobby I have decided to return as I missed it. Undoubtedly you will have given selling your collection a lot of thought but sometimes it is worth asking yourself how you will feel when it's gone!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I see no downturn in prices :?

But I know some collectors only buy in the winter, spring and Autumn and then they do not collect star wars in the summer. They will more be out in the sun and on vacation. Maybe a lot of collectors do that so the prices will maybe go a little down in the summer :?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
A R2 D2 Prop sold at auction for 2.75 million dollars this year and people think VSW is on the way down. The VSW toy sales are just the tip of the iceberg there are some high net worth individuals ploughing serious money into high end Star Wars Collectibles can't see them doing that if they did not think it was a sound investment.

Pantzman

Padawan
I keep hearing collectors saying " I'm selling, I can't justify having so much money sitting on a shelf when it could be used for something more productive."
Cashing in the chips while the market is on such a crazy high does seem appealing... ***Hmmm, I'm sure ive said this on two other occasions and regretted it !***

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Some people are very Pessimistic about VSW collectibles (Bears) for these people VSW has reached it apex and Black Tuesday is looming. This should only be of any relevance to anyone if you are thinking of selling. Many active collectors would like prices to drop as it would enable them to buy more collectibles so if the Bears win and prices decline its not the end of the world as you can buy more stuff.

My personal experience at present is there does not seem to be much for sale so with a limited supply and increasing demand I know where I expect prices to go Bulls (2) Bears (1).

subzero

Sith Lord
I just don't see a downturn at all for the next several decades, not that prices will just keep going up & up forever because nothing can do that, but at least not a collapse in prices.

Over the next 20 or 30 years the only thing I can see causing a downturn in prices is a global economic crash & hyper inflation so bad that the last thing everyone will be thinking of and have any money for is toys.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't see any downturn either. See plenty of evidence to suggest the opposite.

I think a lot of the MOCs that come on the market are not of the quality that we had a few years ago and are demanding huge sums for kenner Jedi MOCs.

Be interested to see what Jarad can show us with his Tracker.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I noticed that prices peaked in May, do you reckon this would of had anything to do with renewed interest surrounding the 40th Anniversary on the 25th?

Prices have definitely dropped off at the moment (I would say as much as 20% lower than May / June prices for C8 loose, though mint is still commanding a premium). I don't know about other items because that's what I mostly collect.

Would you expect prices to increase again in December and after Christmas with the release of The Last Jedi?

lejackal

Grand Master
Personally I hope prices come down across the board, means my money will go further. It has to be said though that there are always bargains out there, you just need to have patience, know what you're looking for and have a bit of luck

subzero

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
you just need to have patience, know what you're looking for and have a bit of luck

Yep a lot of luck is def needed too, iv'e seen a good handful of very nice deals appear on ebay for like 30 seconds until it's snapped up and I missed out on them. On the other hand iv'e also managed to bag a few that just happened to be listed the second I decided to take a look, so it can be done with patience.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom