Latest Modern Acquisitions

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks for the information, really interesting.
I stopped collecting modern around the start of the freeze frame releases, so that may account for not seeing them?
I agree that the large picture makes these stand out all for the right reasons.
I did have a look on eBay last night and could only find the Luke Bespin, that explains why.
I will keep an eye for these.
Thanks

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Mini99 said:
I stopped collecting modern around the start of the freeze frame releases, so that may account for not seeing them?
I did have a look on eBay last night and could only find the Luke Bespin, that explains why.
Thanks

I'll chip in with what meagre information I remember from the time. :wink:

Heres a link to the chat ScruffyLooking NH and I had a while back:-
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33508

Basically this wave came out in 1998 when the Freeze Frame figures were in full swing in the States. Hasbro Europe never really got to grips with the US in terms of figures released. In 1995 they mirrored the US releases with Trilogo compatriots but very quickly couldn't keep up - Luke Jedi, Jawa 2, Han Carbonite pack were released on red cards but didn't turn up in Green Trilogo packaging till 1996/7! As each wave went by and we went on into the green cards fewer and and fewer figs were getting released in Europe. ASP-7 Droid, Dengar, Yak Face etc

I think it was becoming easier for retailers/wholesalers to ship over cases of POTF2 from the US/Canada and Japan. I remember going in to bargain basement shops and getting foreign cards for 1.99 when many weren't officially released here. Because of this Hasbro Europe slowed putting out their own cards. Perhaps the logistics of making a Trilingual Freeze Frame also made them stay away from doing the same and decide to put out the Long Picture Cards instead.

Ackbar and Luke Bespin were the only ones I ever saw at retail. These figures were cased with previous Red and Green Trilogo cards. The Red Trilogos were manufactured up to as late as 1997 according to the date stamps, even though the copyright date says 1995! (Nita Nitro and I worked out the date codes one time! :lol: ) I can only assume for mainland Europe a different assortment was created with the other 7 LPC figures and retailers in the UK just didn't really pick them up.

As for the card backs, there is a sense of progression not a straight jump to the LPC cards.
RED TRILOGO....
Boba_zpst7qjmrz7.jpg

...turning in to GREEN TRILOGO....
luke_zpsqqlu1iow.jpg

...then the TRILOGO gets pulled becoming a MONOLOGO card....
bib_zps8udcjl9r.jpg

...and finally becoming the LONG PICTURE CARD incorporating the Collection references that the US Freeze Frame cards have.
luke%20bespin_zpsgdlflt0k.jpg

:D :wink:

TEEBO1979

Padawan
I was not going to collect the Last Jedi Figures but made the mistake of going into toys r us when they had Half price off all Star Wars Toys. The only one I could not find was Leia. I was over the moon at finding the 40th Anniversary Figures.
7DE42566-DA83-4AD4-AC68-2DAD01F5F175.jpeg

TEEBO1979

Padawan
Yes they were £12.50 each. Thanks to Toys R Us being such a tip I found two of them fallen down behind a load of x wings.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
stratpack said:
Mini99 said:
Thanks

I'll chip in with what meagre information I remember from the time. :wink:

Heres a link to the chat ScruffyLooking NH and I had a while back:-
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33508

Basically this wave came out in 1998 when the Freeze Frame figures were in full swing in the States. Hasbro Europe never really got to grips with the US in terms of figures released. In 1995 they mirrored the US releases with Trilogo compatriots but very quickly couldn't keep up - Luke Jedi, Jawa 2, Han Carbonite pack were released on red cards but didn't turn up in Green Trilogo packaging till 1996/7! As each wave went by and we went on into the green cards fewer and and fewer figs were getting released in Europe. ASP-7 Droid, Dengar, Yak Face etc

I think it was becoming easier for retailers/wholesalers to ship over cases of POTF2 from the US/Canada and Japan. I remember going in to bargain basement shops and getting foreign cards for 1.99 when many weren't officially released here. Because of this Hasbro Europe slowed putting out their own cards. Perhaps the logistics of making a Trilingual Freeze Frame also made them stay away from doing the same and decide to put out the Long Picture Cards instead.

Ackbar and Luke Bespin were the only ones I ever saw at retail. These figures were cased with previous Red and Green Trilogo cards. The Red Trilogos were manufactured up to as late as 1997 according to the date stamps, even though the copyright date says 1995! (Nita Nitro and I worked out the date codes one time! :lol: ) I can only assume for mainland Europe a different assortment was created with the other 7 LPC figures and retailers in the UK just didn't really pick them up.

As for the card backs, there is a sense of progression not a straight jump to the LPC cards.
RED TRILOGO....
Boba_zpst7qjmrz7.jpg

...turning in to GREEN TRILOGO....
luke_zpsqqlu1iow.jpg

...then the TRILOGO gets pulled becoming a MONOLOGO card....
bib_zps8udcjl9r.jpg

...and finally becoming the LONG PICTURE CARD incorporating the Collection references that the US Freeze Frame cards have.
luke%20bespin_zpsgdlflt0k.jpg

:D :wink:

Thanks, very interesting.
I bought loads of the red and then the green cards as they were released, but didn't have any with the Kenner sign in the top right corner.
I sold everything back in 2012, and still have the auction pictures and have had a look to make sure my memory isn't wrong! :lol:
Promised that I would not get back in to collecting "modern" but have a soft spot for the red ones as these were the first Star Wars figures that I bought in a shop.
Also the green long picture ones do look different enough that I maybe tempted... :roll:

Russ J

Jedi Master
Picked up these two ROTS figures off Ebay....The seller did me a good deal on both items.....happy days :D

Darth Vader Target Exclusive and Obi-Wan Duel at Mustafar 'Lava Reflection'

Attachments

• 20171202_092639.jpg
    20171202_092639.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 827

chiffy

Sith Lord
My TRU haul from Donny this morning. Delighted to get a Jaina Solo AND Gree. Also picked up the older force awakens ships for a tenner each but left the last jedi reduced ships alone as they will be down to a tenner this time next year lol....

1cntXf3.jpg

Russ J

Jedi Master
Some awesome pick ups to guys 8) ...half price TRU prices are great at the moment 8) ...

Glad you managed to grab a Commander Gree amongst your booty there Chiffy 8)

Russ J

Jedi Master
Went to TRU earlier today after seeing that Teebo1979 had picked up some figures from the Orange Wave 2 set...tbh I didn't realise that they'd been released in the stores yet...i looked on the TRU website and they didn't have any there...but when I got to TRU there they were (again I wish they would update there website)...

Each one at a nice price of £4.98 each 8)

Also they had the Jawa 40th at a nice price of £12.48 as well...i don't collect the 40th anni stuff and the don't no that much about them (what's available etc...) but at that price it would have been rude to leave it hanging on the peg :lol:

Attachments

• 20171203_002027.jpg
    20171203_002027.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 790
  • 20171203_002242.jpg
    20171203_002242.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 784
  • 20171203_002300.jpg
    20171203_002300.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 787

Russ J

Jedi Master
Tbh mate if I hadn't seen it for half price I wouldn't have bothered...can't see me paying full price for them...£24.99 when they were first released is a little rich for me especially the amount of figures there is know....bugger that :lol:

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Very jealous! Went to my local toysrus, hoping...and only found jaina....very happy with her but really wanted hera....barely any black series and zero 40th anniversary figures

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I have heard today toys r us UK has gone into administration aswell and are closing a load of stores.

This could be one reason for the big sale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom