Din I get conned selling

poncho

Grand Master
you should kept it and started buying things you never had as a kid thats what i did and thats how collecting started for me all those years ago :)

choffialoopa

Padawan
Yeah Poncho

But now every purchase is a big victory in my collection, which is down to a broken C3PO who keeps dropping his right leg, a capeless weaponless wobbly Darth Vader. A painted Stormtrooper, Chewie without any gear, and a Boba Fett smashed into who knows what in the spicemines of Kessel (my parents porch when I was a kid) which my dad glued together after I cried about my irreversible action.

I made sure my collection is easy to improve and the journey will be full of big sensations :lol:

My signature will be "£200. Solid estimate" =))

MarkG

Jedi Master
choffialoopa said:
Actually he gave me £200 for starters as his "professional evaluation", but after I texted him saying that some of the rare figures are supposedly worth more. He instantly gave me £100. That raised my suspicion about the whole deal and I started to research and found ebay prices and found this place.

This is the part that gripes me.... there are loads of people out there that class themselves as experts.... when basically they know naff all. Just because they have collected for 2+ years, they know it all. I know for a fact, that most of the 'admin' on some groups were not around even 10 years ago.

Rebelscum was 'the' forum to be on back in the early to late 90's, and there were some 'real' experts on there... luckily most of them are still around on niche FB groups.

£300 is a very lowball offer for that lot... the buyer (so called expert) should hold their head in shame... Chances are they'll be shifting on very quickly and make the money you should have got.

I certainly agree with the other guys here.... a name and shame should be made.

itfciain

Grand Master
I am still unsure as to what happened here - you went into a FB group - spoke to an admin and promised him the sale if he gave you a valuation ? Surely you would have been better getting someone else to value it rather than the buyer ?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
I am still unsure as to what happened here - you went into a FB group - spoke to an admin and promised him the sale if he gave you a valuation ? Surely you would have been better getting someone else to value it rather than the buyer ?

I smell a rat.......

Palifan

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
itfciain said:

I smell a rat.......

I Din smell one to.

Ian

choffialoopa

Padawan
Yeah. Getting advice from the buyer sounds bad now you put it in writing. But he seemed genuinely trustworthy and I hope for the sake of humanity that his knowledge was just very outdated which is why karma prevent me from revealing his name.(yet)

But it is a true story and no rat. I don't know what is implied by rat as I am from Scandinavia.

But I could post a photo of my empty table with just my few broken figures left. But that just hurts.

I know now I made the stupidest decision ever. Even worse than dr. Evazan facing obi wan... at least I still got my arms.

In time I will confront him though and ask how he concluded 200£ and react accordingly (maybe name shame here)

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Imo whoever bought this from you has done nothing wrong. He offered you money and you accepted. I would only agree that the buyer has taken advantage if you have some kind of mental disability or learning difficulties and i dont mean this at all to be nasty.

Maybe I'm just the most shallow or honest person here but if i could get that lot for £300 i would take it. I dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on the items i would like so if i could get them cheap i would. Same as any collector in any range of items property antiques.

If you really cared for these items you wouldn't have sold them and if you needed the money you should have done the research .

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Stubbs said:
Imo whoever bought this from you has done nothing wrong. He offered you money and you accepted. I would only agree that the buyer has taken advantage if you have some kind of mental disability or learning difficulties and i dont mean this at all to be nasty.

Maybe I'm just the most shallow or honest person here but if i could get that lot for £300 i would take it. I dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on the items i would like so if i could get them cheap i would. Same as any collector in any range of items property antiques.

If you really cared for these items you wouldn't have sold them and if you needed the money you should have done the research .

That's all very well. But this buyer has low balled the seller with only one thing in mind and that's a quick profit. Yes both parties need to take responsability and a job lot like this needs to go for a price where their is room for profit. But on this occasion it sadly looks like the buyer has completely taken the piss and to think he tried it on at £200!

What your saying is correct from a certain point of view, but not from the general view point of this forum. This sort of deal is exactly what pisses members on this forum off. To say the buyer has done nothing wrong is correct legally but morally it's pretty low.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I do understand what you are saying from a moral point of view. But as far as I'm aware we have no evidence only an assumption that the buyer is going to flip the lot for profit.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Stubbs said:
I do understand what you are saying from a moral point of view. But as far as I'm aware we have no evidence only an assumption that the buyer is going to flip the lot for profit.

True and I do usually think the worst. It may be that both parties were clueless, unlikely when the buyer jumped from £200 to £300 without hesitation. And then even if the buyer has brought it for his own collection, it's still morally wrong. The only way I can see this being a good thing is if the buyer is going to give all the toys to charity or give the seller half of his profits. :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
choffialoopa said:
Thank you Forum

This is so nice of you and far beyond my expectation of answers.
I totally agree I was stupid as stupid as it can be. and a deal is a deal.

To answer a few of your questions about the upside down research:
I agreed with him he would get first dips if he gave me a fair price. So I just went there by car and figured he would know what he did and by
"fair price" we agreed on a bit lower than european market price and then a bit lower again cause he was buying the bulk, I didn't think much of it until a friend of mine poked me and told me about YAK face.

Actually he gave me £200 for starters as his "professional evaluation", but after I texted him saying that some of the rare figures are supposedly worth more. He instantly gave me £100. That raised my suspicion about the whole deal and I started to research and found ebay prices and found this place.

Too bad. But what Martin Sith writes is spot on how I think I should feel. But it is so hard =))

Pros:
1)At least he is a collector. and I made him happy.
(what made him the most happy was the mint condition shoulder bag of Empire strikes back made in 1983 (which was part of the deal and I can't find anywhere on the internet...) Pretty cool to flash at conventions.
2)I found this wonderful forum.
3)It peaked my interest in collecting vintage sw figures again. :)

I hope to be a pleasant part of the forum although it is(was) a brutal start.
best wishes Kris
Hi Kris, you get some brutal feedback on this forum sometimes. I'm glad that after all that's been said and been done you a) feel you have found a good forum - if you stick around you'll get some great advice and maybe some good friends; and b) you've rekindled an interest in vintage. I was going to sell off my collection earlier in the year or at least all the doubles but I got sucked back in and then found this forum and have found the expertise and comradery second to none. Jay

choffialoopa

Padawan
Thank you Jabbawookie. Brutal yeah but what Stubbs writes can't be argued. And it is not the end of the world.

Actually I am not normally like this. I am the opposite. Mindful of every detail (master rated in chess)

Must be my recent selling apartment, buying house, new job etc. that has overrun my circuit and turned me into a momentarily madman just to get rid of 3 boxes of toys in my new home.

Don't know what got into me.
If everything happens for a reason as Qui Gonn says
It must be because I should find you and wake up a 40 year old life defining era of my life.

I will close down in this thread and dedicate my time elsewhere on the forum and accept that I will always be remembered by the forum as the dimwit, while pondering on an adventurous way to expand my collection again while meeting likeminded fans. Conventions in U.K. And whatsnot.

coomber75

Sith Lord
all depends on who you speak too... sounds like he may be collector but if there are multiples then surely will be selling them but maybe thats a way to make tye money back to upgrade and buy the rest of his collection, maybe it was too low but out of interest what would have been a fair price??

yoda

Sith Lord
I don't understand why you offered them to him for a fair price if you hadn't done any research? How could you have ever have known then if it was a fair price that he offered?
I think your alot smarter than that :wink:

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
So this has probably been done to death now, but to summarise:

You shouldn't have offered them directly to him, there was no guarantee you'd get a fair price. His upping by £100 in a heartbeat was a tell-tale sign too. And you really should've done your research.

However... I would've expected much better from an admin on any reputable SW forum/group/facebook. They should be suggesting you list them for valuation instead. And, as others have said, it's very likely these'll be getting re-sold.

Don't worry, if you stick around you won't be known as the dimwit! What does puzzle me though is it sounds like you're talking about restarting your collection... but you've only just sold these. What's brought about the change of heart?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom