Votes: 20 16.9%

Votes: 14 11.9%

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • 10, it's the best SW ever ever ever

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I decided to see it one last time, and after my 3rd viewing it hasn't improved. If just doesn't feel like Star Wars and doesn't seem to tie in with the others anywhere. Smokes room looked like something out of Flash Gordon and those stupid looking ****ing guards of his were rediculously stupid. The fact he dies like a bitch whilst sitting on his arse is absolutely insane and completely destroys the strength / power of the character.

Leias flying still makes me wince and I feel so sad that this has embarrassed the saga. 3 friends of mine who are not SW fans also said how pathetic it was :cry:

Laura Dern was ****ing awful , that's enough about that.

Regarding the overall quality of the acting , it is ****ing awful. I admire Hamill so much more now because it must have hurt him to find out what happens to his Luke. Adam Driver is very similar to Hayden C and apart from a few powerful shouts I see nothing great.

Lastly, and this might offend some - Daisy Ridley is the worst actor I have ever witnessed in a Star Wars movie. You can tell she is trying so hard to act, but she can't -end of. You can tell her speech is scripted ( yes I know its a movie ) but she cannot act the script. Her reactions to surprise,fear and general happenings is very poor and I'm afraid to say she was the wrong choice as Rey, who herself seems to be a complete waste of space now. Boyega is also an awful actor who cannot seem to know how to control his reactions and speech to make it look real. We know it's not but that's why movies are made. Felicity Jones absolutely destroys Ridley in all departments in my opinion and the differences are startling.

So, at the end i m going back to my original 1/10. An awful movie, and an embarrassment to a great saga. However as I always say, that is MY opinion and no one else needs to take any notice. I fully understand people will like it, but its not for me.

The PT has more in common with the OT than this disaster.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Agree with everything you've said - damn sure I didn't need to see it more than once though.

I find it interesting that my daughter who really likes TFA and R1 also dislikes this film, she's cancelled all her preorders for TLJ hot toys etc.

Majority of her friends didn't like it either, they are in the 19-22 age group and all scifi fans.

Aye it's shite and no way I'm dropping another penny on the merchandise

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Now seen it with an 8, a 9 and a 12 year old in tow, all three think its the best Star Wars film yet... Personally, I think its still improving on each viewing (up to five now) but I can't see it breaking the top four for me, my 16 year old wasn't quite so keen (said he rates it 4th or 5th) and my 13 year old puts it in the top 3.

Disney has clearly hit the target audience spot on with this one.

Shame that Star Wars 'fans' are going it such a hard time; I get it (kind of), but it is after all just a kids film, they all are...

_Lee_

Sith Lord
db94 said:
Agree with everything you've said - damn sure I didn't need to see it more than once though.

I find it interesting that my daughter who really likes TFA and R1 also dislikes this film, she's cancelled all her preorders for TLJ hot toys etc.

Majority of her friends didn't like it either, they are in the 19-22 age group and all scifi fans.

Aye it's shite and no way I'm dropping another penny on the merchandise

Trust me mate, the second time was because I wanted to give it another viewing, the 3rd was because I took my nephew.

It doesn't even feel remotely like Star Wars :cry:

_Lee_

Sith Lord
SAVORY100 said:
Shame that Star Wars 'fans' are going it such a hard time; I get it (kind of), but it is after all just a kids film, they all are...

You have to remember that a lot of Star Wars fans will look beyond the essence of the film itself. I totally understand that young and old alike will like it, but there are some that don't. Heck, a lot of people dislike the PT but I myself actually like it and feel it links more to the OT than the sequels. Yeah we got Jar Jar etc but it was about the Skywalker's and in particular one person - Anakin. I would rather they started with a whole, fresh trilogy and leave the Skywalker story to quietly end. What do we get ? Vader's melted helmet, a Vader wanabee and a nobody with any ties whatsoever - i think they are going to try to tie Rey into the Skywalker's in the next film to try to save themselves from TLJ. They will look at negative press / reaction to influence the next one, but tbh I think its past that now.

One thing is for sure, and its something I always say. I grew up in the original era and the OT trilogy can never be beaten. Thats one thing money can't buy, and I can smile whenever I think of it. It was special, and maybe some of us are too protective of it but to me its always a sign of my childhood and growing up. I'm a Stars Wars kid, and the sentimentality is something I love. This ' Space Opera' blew my mind back then and it still does.

I hope the kids of today can grow up regarding the ST in the same way, and I mean that. Just don't expect everyone too like the movies that are released in an attempt to recreate the era we were used to.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
_Lee_ said:
SAVORY100 said:

You have to remember that a lot of Star Wars fans will look beyond the essence of the film itself. I totally understand that young and old alike will like it, but there are some that don't. Heck, a lot of people dislike the PT but I myself actually like it and feel it links more to the OT than the sequels. Yeah we got Jar Jar etc but it was about the Skywalker's and in particular one person - Anakin. I would rather they started with a whole, fresh trilogy and leave the Skywalker story to quietly end. What do we get ? Vader's melted helmet, a Vader wanabee and a nobody with any ties whatsoever - i think they are going to try to tie Rey into the Skywalker's in the next film to try to save themselves from TLJ. They will look at negative press / reaction to influence the next one, but tbh I think its past that now.

One thing is for sure, and its something I always say. I grew up in the original era and the OT trilogy can never be beaten. Thats one thing money can't buy, and I can smile whenever I think of it. It was special, and maybe some of us are too protective of it but to me its always a sign of my childhood and growing up. I'm a Stars Wars kid, and the sentimentality is something I love. This ' Space Opera' blew my mind back then and it still does.

I hope the kids of today can grow up regarding the ST in the same way, and I mean that. Just don't expect everyone too like the movies that are released in an attempt to recreate the era we were used to.

Agree with all of that, Lee. Absolutely right.

I've gone for 5/10 after only one viewing. It could be because I'm massively jaded having just missed the last 5 days thanks to the joys of seasonal flu, but the longer time passes between seeing this film and my thoughts on it then the less charitable I feel and less in a hurry I am to return. There was nothing clever about this film at all. Nothing. It took almost every plot thread that had potential and either killed it dead or turned it on it's head. To waste the scene of Luke handling his sabre lost on Cloud City for a cheap laugh of chucking it over his shoulder was, well, pathetic. I won't go over every other issue I have with the film and absolutely won't mention "that" space scene....

So why give it anything other than 1 or 2? Because there were some nice touches in it. Some original ideas. Some aspects that drew you out of the way you'd always thought of SW: good v bad, light v dark. That I liked. I also liked that fact that it was clearly going to appeal to a new generation, just as TFA did and that's great. I didn't want a film that satisfied the fanboys like we are (OK, I did, but that was never going to happen) but one that would bring the magic I experienced to this generation. Reckon this managed to do that and did it well. So for originality, bringing SW to a new generation and, frankly, balls, I'd give it 5.

Going to be really interesting to see how these new films are considered in 5-10 years time.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I feel that these films are released for exactly the same two reasons the OT was released - To entertain children and to make money. Nothing more and nothing less.

Disney (quite rightly as a business) couldn't give a sh*t about OT exclusive fans, they don't need to, OT exclusive fans are largely irrelevant in the equation. They spend very little money in the grand scheme of the franchise's appeal that Disney will ever see and the noise they make is a small voice grumbling amidst a much louder cheer. Look at the national film reviews in the media versus the moans on forums and the like.

I prefer the OT, I grew up with the OT, I lived the OT as a child, sat through the dark times in my 20's, was excited and then subsequently confused by the special editions. Even more excited by the prequels, but after TPM, lost a great deal of passion for them. To be clear I love TPM, but despite having no love for the the other two, I've never slated them... I'm a Star Wars fan, always have been, always will be. In many ways I guess that I'm blind to its faults and love all the bumps and curve balls it throws at me.

It's the ultimate fantasy universe where anything can happen, where people can be no one and become someone where magic can make people float through space, rocks and space ships can be moved with your mind, where good is pitched against evil and where children grow into men and women through the adventures they undertake... best of all though for me its the alien races which are beyond endless and reimagined in every instalment.

That is the crux.. its meant to be magic, its meant to be new, its meant to be diverse.

The Skywalker story is one of a million stories that can be told, this film is telling us very openly to move on, to leave it in the past, I wish people would stop trying or expecting everything to join up across the universe... Star Wars wasn't constrained 40 years ago and was all the better for it, sadly 40 years of (IMO the utterly terrible) EU fiction and of course fan expectations, it has turned a beautifully simple magical universe into something that's becoming awfully divisive when it should be celebrated for what it is and what it does... make kids and families have fun and forget for a few hours the troubles we all deal with in the real world.

As far as
_Lee_ said:

I can already testify to knowing at least 6 kids (friends and relations) that think Star Wars (the new ones) is the best thing ever and they live and breathe it everyday... the best bit of this new film coming out was having all these kids as excited as me (maybe more so) to see it on opening day, dressing up for it and of course getting all the new toys. The modern toys hold zero interest for me, why would they, I'm both not a kid and they don't fit my aesthetic reference that is attached the OT, but the joy they have and the way they want me to be involved to share their love of the films makes my day :D :D :D

_Lee_

Sith Lord
SAVORY100 said:
I can already testify to knowing at least 6 kids (friends and relations) that think Star Wars (the new ones) is the best thing ever and they live and breathe it everyday... the best bit of this new film coming out was having all these kids as excited as me (maybe more so) to see it on opening day, dressing up for it and of course getting all the new toys. The modern toys hold zero interest for me, why would they, I'm both not a kid and they don't fit my aesthetic reference that is attached the OT, but the joy they have and the way they want me to be involved to share their love of the films makes my day :D :D :D

That's what its all about :D that makes me happy.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Grant_C said:
I've only found one plothole.......

WHAT? One plot hole? Have you been **** faced or high every time you've seen it?
There are more plot holes in this film than there are bits that actually make sense. The "plot" is a nonsense from start to finish.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I've got 2 plot holes.

It does help if you watch it more than once. I thought it was full of plot holes, but after many viewings it all makes sense.

Unless you need everything explained in complete detail. Which was one reason the prequels where hated.

'Time to abandon ship' etc....

Or I can find an equivalent from the Devine OT that is equivalently overlooked.

Depends on how much exposition you feel is needed. I agree an extra line here and there could support motivations, but it's not out of step with OT Star Wars.

I would advise giving it another go.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I have heard somewhere that the gravity in space for the bombs is apparently solved because the bombs home in or are heat seeking etc and thus once dropped are attracted to the SD.
OK, that does solve the problem but ehhh that isn't mentioned anywhere in the film which would, you know, but the obvious place to explain it. It also doesn't explain why fat chinese bird's sister isn't sucked out into space when the bomb doors are open. There's no forcefield shown or hinted at.

As for the other plot holes, they are still gigantic.

The one that ruins it for me is the first order just following along behind and not calling in any other ships to box the rebels in. You have been trying to hunt them down and destroy them for 40 years and apparently you control most of the galaxy so a lack of ships shouldn't be an issue. A primary school child could come up with the idea of calling in some other ships. Are we supposed to believe all those generals just had a brain freeze or were so dumb they didn't think of it? Kinda hard to beleive they could have risen so high in such a large organisation if they were prone to such dim-wittery.
I just can't get my had round that bit. It just ruins the film when the badies are so dumb just so the plot can stack up.
Smart enough to invent a way to track in hyper space but not smart enough to think of the glaringly obvious solution to chasing the rebels. :roll:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm with you on that one. I have some ideas as to reasons why. Much like the question as to why rebel transports leaving Hoth fly directly towards are Star Destroyer.

I think this needed just a single line of clarity. For example. When Finn states 'we are nowhere', a simple line describing a reason why hyperspace is dangerous in that area would have been useful.

Or, can hyperspace jumps be done in short distance? Surely the slightest jump into hyperspace and 'they would be on the other side of the galaxy by now'.

Or perhaps, as given by the reason of why Rebel transports leave hoth, that they are actually in a hyperspace lane. The reason that the hoth transports are flying towards a Star Destroyer in ESB, is because the Empire have put them right next to the beginning of hyperspace lanes. If the hyperspace Lane is where the 2 ships are, perhaps they are unable to outside the lane without risk or fear of crashing?

I think there are possibilities, but the only text given is sboutsublight engines. I don't think this is a plot hole, but it does require more context. A simple line suggesting why they can't hyperspace or call for reinforcements could make such a difference.

But if they have been looking to rid the resistance for 30 years, and this is the last of the heiracy, perhaps this alternative of tourturous impending doom is desired. Much like a cat slowly killing a mouse,one scratch at a time.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Kind of reminds me of the parsec conversations from childhood.

I also feel that it's no good explaining things in games and books. It must be in the context of the film.

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
I went into the theatre with very low expectations ... and still managed to come out dissapointed . What a load of utter shite - 2/10

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
weasel said:
I have heard somewhere that the gravity in space for the bombs is apparently solved because the bombs home in or are heat seeking etc and thus once dropped are attracted to the SD.
OK, that does solve the problem but ehhh that isn't mentioned anywhere in the film which would, you know, but the obvious place to explain it. It also doesn't explain why fat chinese bird's sister isn't sucked out into space when the bomb doors are open. There's no forcefield shown or hinted at.

As for the other plot holes, they are still gigantic.

The one that ruins it for me is the first order just following along behind and not calling in any other ships to box the rebels in. You have been trying to hunt them down and destroy them for 40 years and apparently you control most of the galaxy so a lack of ships shouldn't be an issue. A primary school child could come up with the idea of calling in some other ships. Are we supposed to believe all those generals just had a brain freeze or were so dumb they didn't think of it? Kinda hard to beleive they could have risen so high in such a large organisation if they were prone to such dim-wittery.
I just can't get my had round that bit. It just ruins the film when the badies are so dumb just so the plot can stack up.
Smart enough to invent a way to track in hyper space but not smart enough to think of the glaringly obvious solution to chasing the rebels. :roll:

Did you complain about the TIE bombers in ESB with their asteroid bomb runs?
Did you complain in R1 when the Tantive blasts off at the end and Vader is left standing on the edge of space?

I don't remember any explanations for those parts of the films but you want one now?

On the space chase you're dead right tho :lol:

Another complaint I've seen is about the arcing laser blasters from Snokes ship, but then we've watched laser blasters with a definite recoil for years (happens in R1 as well) and not complained so perhaps we just accept its science fiction and not science fact (or they are homing lasers pew pew :lol: )

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Also best not think to hard about this scene.

All this criticism of Leia space walking. She's been doing it since 1980 :)

Attachments

• FABDBF33-E3B5-46E7-9D95-29950ECB8542.jpeg
    FABDBF33-E3B5-46E7-9D95-29950ECB8542.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,679

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Grant_C said:
I'm with you on that one. I have some ideas as to reasons why. Much like the question as to why rebel transports leaving Hoth fly directly towards are Star Destroyer.

I think this needed just a single line of clarity. For example. When Finn states 'we are nowhere', a simple line describing a reason why hyperspace is dangerous in that area would have been useful.

Or, can hyperspace jumps be done in short distance? Surely the slightest jump into hyperspace and 'they would be on the other side of the galaxy by now'.

Or perhaps, as given by the reason of why Rebel transports leave hoth, that they are actually in a hyperspace lane. The reason that the hoth transports are flying towards a Star Destroyer in ESB, is because the Empire have put them right next to the beginning of hyperspace lanes. If the hyperspace Lane is where the 2 ships are, perhaps they are unable to outside the lane without risk or fear of crashing?

I think there are possibilities, but the only text given is sboutsublight engines. I don't think this is a plot hole, but it does require more context. A simple line suggesting why they can't hyperspace or call for reinforcements could make such a difference.

But if they have been looking to rid the resistance for 30 years, and this is the last of the heiracy, perhaps this alternative of tourturous impending doom is desired. Much like a cat slowly killing a mouse,one scratch at a time.

Interesting thoughts about the hyperspace lanes. Though, if the rebel ships are blocking them, surely the first order would have no issues with calling in a few ships and watching them crash into and destroy the last vestiges of the rebellion? Given the time they have spent hunting down the rebels the sacrifice would surely be worth it? Not that they or the empire ever gave a **** about sacrificing ships/stormtroopers willy nilly.

jedisearcher said:
Did you complain about the TIE bombers in ESB with their asteroid bomb runs?
Did you complain in R1 when the Tantive blasts off at the end and Vader is left standing on the edge of space?

I don't remember any explanations for those parts of the films but you want one now?

On the space chase you're dead right tho :lol:

Another complaint I've seen is about the arcing laser blasters from Snokes ship, but then we've watched laser blasters with a definite recoil for years (happens in R1 as well) and not complained so perhaps we just accept its science fiction and not science fact (or they are homing lasers pew pew :lol: )

Fair point on Vader when Tantive blasts off. I had half assumed his suit with his breathing apparatus allowed him a degree of protection, but TBH the fact he was stood on the edge of space without a visible forcefield had passed me by.
The lasers bit had never bothered me. I hadn't noticed the arcing and would probably have assumed they were just homing, like missiles do.

Grant_C said:
Also best not think to hard about this scene.

All this criticism of Leia space walking. She's been doing it since 1980 :)

Yeah, but she is inside a space slug and everyone knows they create their own atmosphere and gravity ......duh! :lol:

I still can't get passed the lack of intelligence shown by the First Order when they are chasing the rebels though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom