The Last Jedi - **SPOILERS THREAD**

yoda

Sith Lord
I've watched afew of those interviews with Hamil and his concerns regarding Luke's role. I understand for the ending Luke needed to be on the island but i think that's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it. I always felt Luke would have took the fight to the First Order in physical presence to inspire those around him. That's the Luke I always knew. I think I would have enjoyed it more if Luke Skywalker had gone out on his shield like the true warrior he always was.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
db94 said:
weasel said:
Fixed it for you.

That's just showing off :p

1) Copy the link.

2) Cut the bit before the equals sign and any gubbins after the code, leaving you with "EIY-PsHrj9A"

3) Press the Youtube button above this text box to give you.....

[youtube][/youtube]

4) Buck the EIY-PsHRj9A in the middle of double brackets and hey presto.

spoons

Grand Master
Palifan said:
Gus's review made me laugh and makes for a good comparison (even if they did push it a bit further in TLJ). I'm off to see it again for my sons Birthday today so I'll see how I feel the second go around.

One other small point is that I've seen some complaining about the way the CG Yoda looked but if you look at this I think they did their best to recapture the ESB one 8)

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-last-jedi-puppet-yoda/

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/176843/in-the-last-jedi-how-was-this-character-filmed

Ian

Rebelforce Radio made a good point on Yoda

No-one has successfully recreated Yoda or Jabba since ROTJ.

A really good point and a testament to those original puppet makers.

Scott I thought your summing up was really good, and in answer to Grants question (and Gus's post), I would find many flaws with the originals if I watched them fresh today but as that is impossible nostalgia wins out.

I love ESB but Dagobah drags and ROTJ is full
of holes. 3PO on Endor always bugged me, what was the point of everyone else's camo gear?

Doesn't mean I can't criticise things now.

Looking forward to a second Last Jedi viewing but suspect I'll still share Scott's views. Despite my misgivings, Star Wars transcends normal film critiques and the films are more than the sum of their parts.

I thought Blade Runner was film of the year but I'm not rushing out to spend tons of cash on collectibles.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
A good bit for f making of information is that Nick Maley who helped Stuart Freeborn make the original Yoda made this one. They even tracked down the woman who originally painted Yoda eyes for this model.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
A good bit for f making of information is that Nick Maley who helped Stuart Freeborn make the original Yoda made this one. They even tracked down the woman who originally painted Yoda eyes for this model.

A friend of mine's Grand father was Stuart Freeborn and she remembered seeing bits and pieces of Yoda and Chewbacca in his shed up until he passed away (as well as being on set whilst they were shooting Empire as a child). I haven't spoken to her in years as she went to live in NZ but I wonder if they managed to get hold of anything to help with this latest version in TLJ.

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
Just had my second viewing. Absolutely loved it. All the annoying things were still there but much more to the background of a cracking action film

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
yoda said:
I've watched afew of those interviews with Hamil and his concerns regarding Luke's role. I understand for the ending Luke needed to be on the island but i think that's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it. I always felt Luke would have took the fight to the First Order in physical presence to inspire those around him. That's the Luke I always knew. I think I would have enjoyed it more if Luke Skywalker had gone out on his shield like the true warrior he always was.
I agree! I think this is one of the main reasons why some of us are disappointed by it. Instead we get an inbalanced old Jedi Master, not the Luke we used to know. It is part of letting elements of the OT behind us. Nothing wrong with it, but why reinstall Han, Luke and Leia in the first place? Guess they were afraid of the prequel effect or something like that. And of course trying to bind old and new fans of the franchise...

Sinniberg

Padawan
Oh dear.......the videos are starting to appear on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUYJEwI82WQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohILnBJ71o4

BruceW

Padawan
I wish everyone could see the movie that I see when I watch "The Last Jedi". I don't mean this in a condescending way.
I'm not going to try to defend this movie, I can only tell you why I like it. In order to do that, you would need to know where my head was going into this movie.

As an artist, I know a reaction to a piece of art depends on what the viewer brings to it. To quote old Ben, "the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

First, I should say that I loved Princess Leia as a kid, and later I grew to love Carrie Fisher the writer, who filled her books with semi-autobigraphical stories told with her trademark sardonic wit. I never romanticized, "deified" or idolized her, because she wouldn't let you. She told her whole truth with her writing and I admired the guts and strength that it took to talk openly about her struggles with mental illness and addiction. I had the upmost respect for her, and was delighted at how she made every autograph session, interview and convention panel an unpredictable joy to watch.

Then she passed away. Someone filled with so much life, was suddenly gone, far too soon.

My questions of "who are Rey;s parents" and "where did this new Palpatine named Snoke come from" were quickly replaced with a more real-world concern: "Oh my god what are they going to do with the character of Leia now that Carrie is gone?"

I have seen "The Last Jedi" six times now. I regret nothing about this. To me it is worth it, because of one scene.

When Luke appears to Leia on Crait, he begins to speak, and she cuts him off, making a wonderful call back to her scene with Han in TFA, "I know what you're going to say, I changed my hair."
Luke tells her he likes her hair, sits and says "I'm sorry".
Leia responds, "I know. I know you are, I'm just glad you're here with me at the end", and I feel my heart begin to break.
"I've held out hope for so long," she says, " but I finally realize that my son is gone."
"No one is ever really gone", he tells her, then places Han's dice into her open hand. Luke stands to kiss her forehead, and they are bathed in light streaming in from behind them.

No one is ever really gone...and I am gutted.

Now, I know when this was written and filmed, this exchange was meant to comfort her about Han's death, as well as foreshadow his own sacrifice. But, in light of Carrie's passing, it feels like Mark saying goodbye to Carrie, and by extension, the audience is saying goodbye to her as well. It is an emotional and unbelievably cathartic moment for me as a fan of Leia and a fan of Carrie. Even though she does have a few more scenes in the film, I truly feel like this was the best way to give her the character the closure she deserves, with an on screen reunion and a wonderful goodbye from her fictional brother and real life friend.

This scene is so beautiful that any other perceived flaws of this movie are forgiven.

I can't praise Rian Johnson enough for what he did with this film. It is unexpected, audacious , emotional and new. It was everything I never thought it could be, and everything I needed. Rey asks at the end "How do we build a rebellion from this?" Leia answers simply and perfectly, "We have everything we need."

That statement is a beautiful bow that ties this amazing gift together, and feels like a meta commentary to the audience. It is Leia comforting Rey, and it is Carrie reassuring the audience with the words of Rian.

The movie is not for everyone, I suppose. That's fine, I get it. Everyone has an opinion. This is mine: I love it.
I plan on seeing it at least once a week until it's gone from theaters.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
BruceW said:
I wish everyone could see the movie that I see when I watch "The Last Jedi". I don't mean this in a condescending way.
I'm not going to try to defend this movie, I can only tell you why I like it. In order to do that, you would need to know where my head was going into this movie.

As an artist, I know a reaction to a piece of art depends on what the viewer brings to it. To quote old Ben, "the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

First, I should say that I loved Princess Leia as a kid, and later I grew to love Carrie Fisher the writer, who filled her books with semi-autobigraphical stories told with her trademark sardonic wit. I never romanticized, "deified" or idolized her, because she wouldn't let you. She told her whole truth with her writing and I admired the guts and strength that it took to talk openly about her struggles with mental illness and addiction. I had the upmost respect for her, and was delighted at how she made every autograph session, interview and convention panel an unpredictable joy to watch.

Then she passed away. Someone filled with so much life, was suddenly gone, far too soon.

My questions of "who are Rey;s parents" and "where did this new Palpatine named Snoke come from" were quickly replaced with a more real-world concern: "Oh my god what are they going to do with the character of Leia now that Carrie is gone?"

I have seen "The Last Jedi" six times now. I regret nothing about this. To me it is worth it, because of one scene.

When Luke appears to Leia on Crait, he begins to speak, and she cuts him off, making a wonderful call back to her scene with Han in TFA, "I know what you're going to say, I changed my hair."
Luke tells her he likes her hair, sits and says "I'm sorry".
Leia responds, "I know. I know you are, I'm just glad you're here with me at the end", and I feel my heart begin to break.
"I've held out hope for so long," she says, " but I finally realize that my son is gone."
"No one is ever really gone", he tells her, then places Han's dice into her open hand. Luke stands to kiss her forehead, and they are bathed in light streaming in from behind them.

No one is ever really gone...and I am gutted.

Now, I know when this was written and filmed, this exchange was meant to comfort her about Han's death, as well as foreshadow his own sacrifice. But, in light of Carrie's passing, it feels like Mark saying goodbye to Carrie, and by extension, the audience is saying goodbye to her as well. It is an emotional and unbelievably cathartic moment for me as a fan of Leia and a fan of Carrie. Even though she does have a few more scenes in the film, I truly feel like this was the best way to give her the character the closure she deserves, with an on screen reunion and a wonderful goodbye from her fictional brother and real life friend.

This scene is so beautiful that any other perceived flaws of this movie are forgiven.

I can't praise Rian Johnson enough for what he did with this film. It is unexpected, audacious , emotional and new. It was everything I never thought it could be, and everything I needed. Rey asks at the end "How do we build a rebellion from this?" Leia answers simply and perfectly, "We have everything we need."

That statement is a beautiful bow that ties this amazing gift together, and feels like a meta commentary to the audience. It is Leia comforting Rey, and it is Carrie reassuring the audience with the words of Rian.

The movie is not for everyone, I suppose. That's fine, I get it. Everyone has an opinion. This is mine: I love it.

Great post Bruce!
On a separate thought, would you share in the Off Topic Thread a little showcase of your artwork? I'm sure many have seen your talents before, but many more probably haven't...

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I whent for a drink before Christmas with some friends, one of which whent to watch the TLJ with me the first time. We got talking about it and I brought up how I wasn't to shaw about the Yode scene, just how to me Yoda doesn't always look like a force ghost. My friend piped up and said that when I first saw a glimpse of Yoda I shouted yes.

Got me thinking about how before I whent to see it I was really hoping that we would see Ben Kenobi or Yoda as forceghosts and then when Yoda appeared I was so happy, but then disappointment quickly followed. Subconsciously when I go to watch a new Star Wars film I'm hoping that I'm going to get a glimmer of feeling from the origionals, which we all know isn't possible.

So no matter how good that Yoda scene had been I think I would have been disappointed with it. :)

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
Are you for real? I mean: Leia fetish is one thing, but do you have shares funded by Disney? It is an average sci-fi movie, no more and no less... But that will be my opinion 'from a certain point of view'. Yuck............... :evil:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom