Protection from UV / daylight

Taffius

Sith Lord
Hi all,
Finding this forum great for ideas and advice. More queries!
When displaying items, how do you guys de-risk fading / yellowing from UV or daylight when items are on display?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Curtains are best but if that's not practical then you can line your windows with a UV resistant film. It's pretty cheap to pick up from eBay but if you don't follow the instructions a total bastard to install!

Also invest in some GW Acrylic cases as they're 90% UV resistant too.

subzero

Sith Lord
Yep GW Acrylic cases are UV protective so in those your carded figures will be fine, but for everything else you display make sure to keep them in a room in your house where the windows are facing away from the sun if that's possible, or if not then choose an area of the room where the sun does not reach, but be mindful as the year goes on as the suns position changes. In previous years iv'e put collectables on shelves early in the year thinking they're fine then one day look at my collection several months later going into summer and the sun is directly beaming down on them.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Personally I would not leave anything vintage Star Wars in direct sunlight, not even MOC in any UV protected case. No matter how well the UV protection is direct sunlight will fade the print on a MOC over time, absolutely no doubt what so ever.

As has already been said curtains are the best in a north facing room if possible and even if you think the sun never shines on your collection and you have curtains in that room draw them when you go on holiday or when you go out for the day.

I've got MOCs which have slowly faded over decades and have now blocked up a window I'm so paranoid about it.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Blackout vertical blinds (or even better, uv-protection blinds) are also good. I have these in my room permanently angled so that daylight doesn't get onto my collection. Not as cheap as film but a damn sight easier to install, and cheaper than having your house moved or window bricked up.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Another thing thing to bear in mind is moisture.
Ensure that there is sufficient ventilation and that the room does not suffer from large temp changes.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And if the ventilation is a problem, invest in a dehumidifier. In a well ventilated location they're probably overkill, but in a poorly ventilated one they could make the difference between having a mouldy collection or not.

Taffius

Sith Lord
Thanks all. Great advice. Already moved collection (gotta laugh = collection now 10! :lol: ) to a dark corner in the opposite end of house! More thought required to reducing light whilst still being able to view them!

Oracle

Padawan
I've stored mine out of sunlight in boxes, some bubbles have yellowed whereas others have stayed clear, so I'm not sure that it is just UV exposure that causes the yellowing.

My guess is that original manufacture quality, UV exposure, as well as temperature of storage conditions may also have something to do with it.

The majority of my bubbles on cardbacks showing a Kenner logo are yellowed, whereas other bubbles I have are nice and clear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom