SWTOTW, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2 Patrol Dewback

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Pomse2001 said:
What is a Kenner Pop-up Bonnet Landspeeder :?
Sorry, just open bonnet version. Figure of speech. The Kenner version has the open bonnet whereas the Palitoy version doesn't have one. Most folks from the UK desire the Palitoy variant because of the Palitoy Logo and the packaging is better. But I just love the fact you can open the bonnet. :D

Wow I did not know that, now I also need to have the palitoy variant :lol:

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
A great choice of toy! I agree the reigns are a week point of the toy. I think the collectors version was quite 'common' relatively speaking

Here is mine. It is still factory sealed.

STAR-WARS-KENNER-PATROL-DEWBACK-MISB-FRONT.png

lejackal

Grand Master
All I have to offer is my sons galactic heroes one which still looks cool in my humble opinion 8)

Attachments

• 33DA06A1-4F6C-46FF-9502-09E02B791AAE.jpeg
    33DA06A1-4F6C-46FF-9502-09E02B791AAE.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,034

Pomse2001

Grand Master
retrotoyinfo said:
A great choice of toy! I agree the reigns are a week point of the toy. I think the collectors version was quite 'common' relatively speaking

Here is mine. It is still factory sealed.

STAR-WARS-KENNER-PATROL-DEWBACK-MISB-FRONT.png

Wow a MISB 8) it looks fantastic :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
lejackal said:
All I have to offer is my sons galactic heroes one which still looks cool in my humble opinion 8)

Carl I have never heard about galactic heroes, but it looks cool and funny :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Pomse2001 said:
What is a Kenner Pop-up Bonnet Landspeeder :?
Sorry, just open bonnet version. Figure of speech. The Kenner version has the open bonnet whereas the Palitoy version doesn't have one. Most folks from the UK desire the Palitoy variant because of the Palitoy Logo and the packaging is better. But I just love the fact you can open the bonnet. :D

I have read regularly that Palitoy wanted to remove this feature to save on costs. Here is a reply from non other than Ron Salvatore
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1113380

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

I have read regularly that Palitoy wanted to remove this feature to save on costs. Here is a reply from non other than Ron Salvatore
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1113380

Thanks for the info :D I did not know that :shock:

spoons

Grand Master
Here you go Lars,

This was one of my first non-boot sale/flea market buys in 1999. It cost £40 which seems really high looking back - the most I'd ever spent on Star Wars at the time.

The photo is also a bit of history, I'd just got a new light tent in 2007 or 2008 and this was one of my first photos. I'd planned on selling it on ebay but decided to keep it. Photo is a bit orange as many of mine are from that time. I use daylight bulbs now

dewback.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Here you go Lars,

This was one of my first non-boot sale/flea market buys in 1999. It cost £40 which seems really high looking back - the most I'd ever spent on Star Wars at the time.

The photo is also a bit of history, I'd just got a new light tent in 2007 or 2008 and this was one of my first photos. I'd planned on selling it on ebay but decided to keep it. Photo is a bit orange as many of mine are from that time. I use daylight bulbs now

dewback.jpg

Great story andy and thanks for sharing the story and the picture. I can see the reigns have the same problem on yours. They break :(

£40 sound very high for that one in 1999. I first started to collect in 2001 when I bought my own childhood lot back from my little brother :lol: I am sure that I bought mine with box in usa on evil bay for less than £40 in the early 00. But it is not about the price, it is only about if you are happy :D

Light tent, I did not know you were a Photographer :shock:

spoons

Grand Master
Definitely expensive and not really a photographer. Just got it to catalogue my collection - helps with cardbacks and bubble reflection

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Definitely expensive and not really a photographer. Just got it to catalogue my collection - helps with cardbacks and bubble reflection

Nice, I also have some problems with lights, so I try to take most of my pictures with sun light. I have never thought about a light tent :D

spoons

Grand Master
I get beat results with sunlight and a light tent. There is less direct light that way

spoons

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:
I get beat results with sunlight and a light tent. There is less direct light that way

sorry my english is not perfect but beat results is that good or bad ? :oops:

ha ha - sorry it was a typo

Best results!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

sorry my english is not perfect but beat results is that good or bad ? :oops:

ha ha - sorry it was a typo

Best results!

That is great news that you get great pictures with sunlight and a light tent :D

Now I know what a beat results mean :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And another gap being filled! Thanks to all the posters for sharing their terrific Dewbacks with the Forum, and my apologies for the belated post!

Here's my Dewback, and I feel really lucky to have it in this condition. I bought it from an American eBay seller and the idiot wrapped just a single thickness of bubble wrap around the Dewback's box, then a single thickness of brown paper around that, and then posted it across the Atlantic! You will be amazed to learn that the box arrived damaged!... Yes, I know, incredible isn't it?

But joking aside, almost miraculously it only lost about 1 out of 10 in its overall condition as a result of such criminally incompetent packing, and I can thank my lucky stars that the box had its insert to help keep it stiff (insert your own dirty joke here), as otherwise I think I'd be posting pictures of a far more sorry-looking box!

Anyway, the Dewback wasn't officially released in the UK for Star Wars (although some enterprising shops may have privately imported some for sale), and so not only did I not own one in the 1970's, I wasn't even aware of its existence until one day in a Hertford toy shop when I found some Kenner 20-back MOCs (presumably imported), showing the Dewback on the reverse, along with a distinctly different Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory to the Palitoy ones I owned! I must have been 7 or 8 at the time and I would only have seen the film a maximum of twice by that point. Let's face it, the Dewback is hardly prominent in the film, and I simply hadn't spotted it. Consequently, when I stood staring amazed at the back of the Kenner 20-back, I distinctly remember thinking, 'What's that?! It's not from Star Wars! They've made it up!' :lol:

I eventually learned the error of my ways, and here's the result :wink:

Blink And You'll Miss It - 01.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 02.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 03.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 04.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 05.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 06.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 07.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
And another gap being filled! Thanks to all the posters for sharing their terrific Dewbacks with the Forum, and my apologies for the belated post!

Here's my Dewback, and I feel really lucky to have it in this condition. I bought it from an American eBay seller and the idiot wrapped just a single thickness of bubble wrap around the Dewback's box, then a single thickness of brown paper around that, and then posted it across the Atlantic! You will be amazed to learn that the box arrived damaged!... Yes, I know, incredible isn't it?

But joking aside, almost miraculously it only lost about 1 out of 10 in its overall condition as a result of such criminally incompetent packing, and I can thank my lucky stars that the box had its insert to help keep it stiff (insert your own dirty joke here), as otherwise I think I'd be posting pictures of a far more sorry-looking box!

Anyway, the Dewback wasn't officially released in the UK for Star Wars (although some enterprising shops may have privately imported some for sale), and so not only did I not own one in the 1970's, I wasn't even aware of its existence until one day in a Hertford toy shop when I found some Kenner 20-back MOCs (presumably imported), showing the Dewback on the reverse, along with a distinctly different Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory to the Palitoy ones I owned! I must have been 7 or 8 at the time and I would only have seen the film a maximum of twice by that point. Let's face it, the Dewback is hardly prominent in the film, and I simply hadn't spotted it. Consequently, when I stood staring amazed at the back of the Kenner 20-back, I distinctly remember thinking, 'What's that?! It's not from Star Wars! They've made it up!' :lol:

I eventually learned the error of my ways, and here's the result :wink:

Blink And You'll Miss It - 01.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 02.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 03.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 04.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 05.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 06.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 07.jpg

Better late than never and thanks again for keeping this old thread alive :lol: What a beauty that box is and what a crazy story about the packing :shock: I have never had bad packing with vintage star wars. But years ago I also collected modern star wars. I remember a time when I bought maybe 10 moc from the 90s from a guy in the uk. They were all only packed with brown paper and 50% of them if I remember correct was damaged :roll: I was just glad it was not vintage :D

A lot of the early star wars things like the dewback did I also not see for sale in my country Denmark. I think only a few shops may have privately imported some for sale in the 70. It was first when the empire strikes back came in the cinema that star wars toy began to come in the shops on every corner when I was a kid. Also why it is nearly impossible for me to find boxes and cardbacks from the SW line with danish price stickers on them. I have only found a few and most of them have price stickers from the same little shop.

Thanks for the pictures and the story :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom