Header image

Mystery of John Kellerman Star Wars Action figures book

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
retrotoyinfo
New User
New User

Re: Mystery of John Kellerman Star Wars Action figures book

Postby retrotoyinfo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:44 am

I also wish John well. I didn't realise of his problems so the post is enlightening. The 2nd edition book came ever so tantalizingly close to being published, it is understandable though why it didn't just make it. Below is a page that gives idea how good it would have been

www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 am

A great historical piece for sure like the Tomart guides, but as it's well over a decade old I don't understand why it's in such big demand as it is pretty much irrelevant now (eg the figure matrices and variants.) There's far more recent and up to date info available online. A great collectable for sure, but with other classic old books available for under £10 I've never quite understood the fascination with this one. For me the Tomart guides will always be "the" Star Wars books.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 am

Gotta love those ebay listings too for loose figures where the seller takes the pictures using the book cover as the background image.

"Hey look at me and my big dick ( book ), i'm selling this figure but check out this rare book too, you get to buy this figure off someone who owns this book and that will make you wanna bid more, my figure is better than other sellers figures because I have.. the book"
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 am

I believe it was struggling to sell at the time of release as the copy I bought from forbidden planet in London was £25 down to £12.50 which they had about 10 copies of and that was xmas that year.
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 am

retrotoyinfo wrote: Why can't it just be put online as an e book or just scan the pages. After all there are still many people that have the book, but no one seems willing to share it. There is a guy that put a 22 minute video on you tube, showing every page, but it is blurry and he races through with a shaky camera.

Prior to selling mine recently I took good photos of what I considered to be the most interesting pages, ie the displays and proto displays (about 30 pages).

I'm happy to share them esp as it takes nothing away from John (best wishes to John btw).

retrotoyinfo
New User
New User

Postby retrotoyinfo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:
retrotoyinfo wrote: Why can't it just be put online as an e book or just scan the pages. After all there are still many people that have the book, but no one seems willing to share it. There is a guy that put a 22 minute video on you tube, showing every page, but it is blurry and he races through with a shaky camera.

Prior to selling mine recently I took good photos of what I considered to be the most interesting pages, ie the displays and proto displays (about 30 pages).

I'm happy to share them esp as it takes nothing away from John (best wishes to John btw).

I would appreciate seeing them.
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:26 pm

I wonder if an owner of this book is willing to scan it and create a PDF version for free download?

Would that be legal though even with it being distributed for free?

Paullaura
New User
New User

Postby Paullaura » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 pm

pizzathehutt wrote:I believe it was struggling to sell at the time of release as the copy I bought from forbidden planet in London was £25 down to £12.50 which they had about 10 copies of and that was xmas that year.

I got mine from forbidden planet in newcastle. Same thing , discounted to i think £20

Gadders
New User
New User

Postby Gadders » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm

subzero wrote:I wonder if an owner of this book is willing to scan it and create a PDF version for free download?

I'd love a pdf copy as i think i sold my original copy back in the late 90s early 2000.

I think there is a pdf version out there but cant find it.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Gadders wrote:
subzero wrote:I wonder if an owner of this book is willing to scan it and create a PDF version for free download?

I'd love a pdf copy as i think i sold my original copy back in the late 90s early 2000.

I think there is a pdf version out there but cant find it.

If anyone on here can post this that would be fab! 8)

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Rebelscum hosts an updated pdf of the matrix, which is very useful

http://www.rebelscum.com/kellerman.asp
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm

I know nothing about book publishing and I know very little about crowd funding, but if the book reprint was ready to go it’s a shame the community couldn’t put together a go fund me page. It happens all the time with music and film, surely it would work for a book. If enough was raised people would get the book and John would get paid? Not sure how it works but someone must? I’d love a copy but couldn’t shell out 200+ on it. I hope John is doing okay.

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

subzero wrote:Would that be legal though even with it being distributed for free?

It'd be no more legal than sharing a 15 year old DVD online.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:37 pm

I understand that a book is nice to have, but I have to agree with Edd, I’m not sure that they are relevant this day and age.
I have great reference books that I can’t remember the last time I opened the cover, (no, one of them is not Kellerman’s) :lol: , if I want to know something them I pick up my “pad”.
Books, and I believe this book isn’t any different, all have inaccuracies and are impossible to update but web sites can get updated quicker and easier, and afe with you all day everyday.
A web version of the book is a great idea, but I doubt that there really is the demand for this book, it wil be a very niche item, and thus nect to impossible to get printed...sorry just me opinion :wink:

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:41 pm

retrotoyinfo wrote:. As I am concerned, the knowledge in this book is needed by many, but made unavailable and nothing has come out that compares to it as regards Kenner action figures. Why can't it just be put online as an e book or just scan the pages. After all there are still many people that have the book, but no one seems willing to share it. There is a guy that put a 22 minute video on you tube, showing every page, but it is blurry and he races through with a shaky camera.

Because that would be copyright theft.

As Ed has said the book is very old and it's not difficult to find much more up to date information on the net.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”