Mystery of John Kellerman Star Wars Action figures book

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
Dannywhiteley said:
retrotoyinfo said:
Why can't it just be put online as an e book or just scan the pages. After all there are still many people that have the book, but no one seems willing to share it. There is a guy that put a 22 minute video on you tube, showing every page, but it is blurry and he races through with a shaky camera.

Prior to selling mine recently I took good photos of what I considered to be the most interesting pages, ie the displays and proto displays (about 30 pages).

I'm happy to share them esp as it takes nothing away from John (best wishes to John btw).

I would appreciate seeing them.

subzero

Sith Lord
I wonder if an owner of this book is willing to scan it and create a PDF version for free download?

Would that be legal though even with it being distributed for free?

Paullaura

Padawan
pizzathehutt said:
I believe it was struggling to sell at the time of release as the copy I bought from forbidden planet in London was £25 down to £12.50 which they had about 10 copies of and that was xmas that year.

I got mine from forbidden planet in newcastle. Same thing , discounted to i think £20

Gadders

Padawan
subzero said:
I wonder if an owner of this book is willing to scan it and create a PDF version for free download?

I'd love a pdf copy as i think i sold my original copy back in the late 90s early 2000.

I think there is a pdf version out there but cant find it.

subzero

Sith Lord
Gadders said:
subzero said:

I'd love a pdf copy as i think i sold my original copy back in the late 90s early 2000.

I think there is a pdf version out there but cant find it.

If anyone on here can post this that would be fab! 8)

spoons

Grand Master
Rebelscum hosts an updated pdf of the matrix, which is very useful

http://www.rebelscum.com/kellerman.asp

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I know nothing about book publishing and I know very little about crowd funding, but if the book reprint was ready to go it's a shame the community couldn't put together a go fund me page. It happens all the time with music and film, surely it would work for a book. If enough was raised people would get the book and John would get paid? Not sure how it works but someone must? I'd love a copy but couldn't shell out 200+ on it. I hope John is doing okay.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I understand that a book is nice to have, but I have to agree with Edd, I'm not sure that they are relevant this day and age.
I have great reference books that I can't remember the last time I opened the cover, (no, one of them is not Kellerman's) :lol: , if I want to know something them I pick up my "pad".
Books, and I believe this book isn't any different, all have inaccuracies and are impossible to update but web sites can get updated quicker and easier, and afe with you all day everyday.
A web version of the book is a great idea, but I doubt that there really is the demand for this book, it wil be a very niche item, and thus nect to impossible to get printed...sorry just me opinion :wink:

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
retrotoyinfo said:
. As I am concerned, the knowledge in this book is needed by many, but made unavailable and nothing has come out that compares to it as regards Kenner action figures. Why can't it just be put online as an e book or just scan the pages. After all there are still many people that have the book, but no one seems willing to share it. There is a guy that put a 22 minute video on you tube, showing every page, but it is blurry and he races through with a shaky camera.
Because that would be copyright theft.

As Ed has said the book is very old and it's not difficult to find much more up to date information on the net.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Knowing how little a percentage authors receive from their work I feel sympathy for John Kellerman as the vast majority of $$$ from his book has been from the after market, sold on second hand.

Like Edd, I also don't know why prices remain as high as they do now that the internet provides such a deep repository of info.

The Todd DeMartino book was also meant to come out years back and supersede Kellerman's but still no sign - now that's a mystery...

MarkG

Jedi Master
I picked the book up on it's first (and only release). Was certainly 'the' book to have back then, but now, as others have said, nothing in it cannot be found on the WWW.

I see from that RS link, that Tom Derby was getting involved with the extended 1st edition... any idea why he didn't carry it on ?? Possibly didn't want the hassle John had of it taking an age to sell ??

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
The Todd DeMartino book was also meant to come out years back and supersede Kellerman's but still no sign - now that's a mystery...

Seems to have disappeared down the shitter.

He's working for cas now. One of the founders I believe. Seems all his energy is elsewhere.

spoons

Grand Master
I totally disagree that Kellerman is no longer relevant, it really is the bible when it comes to focus collections and the cataloguing of the card front backs is not clearly presented anywhere else.

12 back.com is good and has variations not in Kellerman, but Kellerman is still more detailed in general.

Definitely worth getting Kellerman if you are serious about variations, but if you are happy having a figure in any cardback it isn't a must have.

Palifan

Sith Lord
spoons said:
I totally disagree that Kellerman is no longer relevant, it really is the bible when it comes to focus collections and the cataloguing of the card front backs is not clearly presented anywhere else.

12 back.com is good and has variations not in Kellerman, but Kellerman is still more detailed in general.

Definitely worth getting Kellerman if you are serious about variations, but if you are happy having a figure in any cardback it isn't a must have.

I also agree with the above although I just like having this book as I still prefer to see pictures in hand over seeing them on screen, probably my age but there's some great stills in that book as well as information and I think because of the size of it I still prefer it to any other book I own on this subject.

I would probably still buy yet another book on these vintage figures if it was the same size and had a full page print on the loose figure and moc, always nice to see a bit of vintage printed big and in good quality :D

Ian

Paullaura

Padawan
Mr-shifter said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

Seems to have disappeared down the shitter.

He's working for cas now. One of the founders I believe. Seems all his energy is elsewhere.

I put a deposit on this stupid demartino thing right back on day one!!! Sneaky liar!!

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
spoons said:

Completely agree; I've yet to find any resource as clear and easy or with as much detail on Kenner card variations.
I also really like reference books for longer term reading and try to only use the WWW for quick info as starring at a screen for hours studying and analysing is a bit too much like the day job!

jared007

Padawan
It's a shame this update may never come out. The Kellerman book is still relevant, I used it just this week to double check a kenner front/back combination. Plus, it's just a lovely quality book to have on the shelf.

I understand it's frustrating about the price it now commands, but if you can afford it you will be satisfied.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
While I agree that the information contained in the book can be found elsewhere on the web it is located in a myriad of different places, and often takes time to hunt down, and is easily misplaced. Rarely do you find such relevant, informative and detailed information all in one place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom