Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I seem to remember that Power of the Force MOCs were available through various adverts in Model and Collector's Mart in the mid-90s. Certainly people like Jim Stevenson had them readily available. As has been mentioned they were definitely available at toy fairs.

Whilst there might not have been that many on UK ebay they were easy to find in Australia and the US. I bought my first POTF MOC in 1999 from Australia this way - Romba for around £30.

I agree that the prices have escalated dramatically over the past couple of years (it's only two years ago I bought a Luke Poncho POTF MOC for £60), you can say that about a lot of vintage SW.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
peekaygee73 said:
I seem to remember that Power of the Force MOCs were available through various adverts in Model and Collector's Mart in the mid-90s. Certainly people like Jim Stevenson had them readily available. As has been mentioned they were definitely available at toy fairs.

Whilst there might not have been that many on UK ebay they were easy to find in Australia and the US. I bought my first POTF MOC in 1999 from Australia this way - Romba for around £30.

I agree that the prices have escalated dramatically over the past couple of years (it's only two years ago I bought a Luke Poncho POTF MOC for £60), you can say that about a lot of vintage SW.
Exactly I would agree with all of this.
Yes the bubbles go yellow, that's why I try not to buy graded ones as the bubble can't be protected when shipping.
I have had an Ewok try to escape during shipping, not graded, just not packed very well.

Attachments

• 5529C4BC-C717-4C9D-A6E4-A7515C8A3570.jpeg
    5529C4BC-C717-4C9D-A6E4-A7515C8A3570.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 665

Paullaura

Padawan
pizzathehutt said:
I don't remember seeing them and I was still buying carded figures in the shops in 88 so quite late on

my nan lived not far from marble arch and every Christmas we would walk up to see the lights in bond street, I do remember seeing a diorama of loose figures and the ewok village in one of Selfridges windows and noticing a couple of unusual ewoks and han carbonite but at the time thinking it was a han poncho without his jacket maybe.

If anywhere did manage to get some potf it would've been forbidden planet as I know they were importing a lot even in those days i'm told

How many of you managed to get the Anakin mail away out of interest? or did you get him on a trilogo?

I got the mail order one. He was the only last 17 i never found on trilogo.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Here's a thought if Yakface was never available in the U.S but he came on a POTF card, where were those cards released? Canada? Or am I wrong in saying he was never released in the U.S?

Paullaura

Padawan
theforceuk said:
Here's a thought if Yakface was never available in the U.S but he came on a POTF card, where were those cards released? Canada? Or am I wrong in saying he was never released in the U.S?

Pretty sure there were alot of them in australia.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
I believe old yak face was only available in Canada .. and I agree it's very hard to find certain ones with a clear bubble . At-st driver seems to be quite common to find with a clear bubble

Attachments

• F083449B-EC16-4FF6-9BCD-A77FADABBDC9.jpeg
    F083449B-EC16-4FF6-9BCD-A77FADABBDC9.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 650
  • 623D85A4-2534-46E1-8A8C-0972740BF30A.jpeg
    623D85A4-2534-46E1-8A8C-0972740BF30A.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 647

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've googled it and it seems he was mainly released in Canada and Europe on a POTF card. He was definitely released in Australia on a POTF card though. I think you have to assume that a small amount of POTF cards found their way to the UK. :?

Nice POTF run. :shock:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great POTF run, really nice Luke Stormtrooper, and Yoda.
Don't think I have seen a Wicket or Teebo in a collection before, certainly different.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I know the question waa about figures but what's the consensus on POTF boxed items appearing here? I'm sure I've read memories of combo packs ( eg Tauntaun / Wampa ) or the body rigs turning up albeit very sparsely.

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
I think here is fine. Below is my POTF body rig Sand Skimmer. The bubble yellowed which is very common but is undamaged, the bubbles were very thick plastic on these.

POTF-SAND-SKIMMER-FRONT-MOC.png

POTF-SAND-SKIMMER-BACK-MOC.png

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I believe the body rig Mocs were the US release where as we had the far superior boxes :D
I had the sand skimmer when I was a kid but never saw the other two until the 2000's. I believe they were more common on the continent.

POTF figures weren't on general release here and we got our last 17 on trilogo. They were well known about to collectors during the mid 90's but commanded a premium. Back then though Kenner was the thing to collect and stuff like trilogo's weren't in demand at all.

I did hear a rumour that the reason a lot of POTF Mocs have yellow bubbles is because they were from Australia and the climate down there is so hot they didn't stand a chance

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
This is from my childhood collection, purchased Christmas 86' from Wolworths by my Dad. :)

Attachments

• 88E5EB93-556E-455A-878D-3F65F405BEBC.jpeg
    88E5EB93-556E-455A-878D-3F65F405BEBC.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 734

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
chipsteak said:
I know the question waa about figures but what's the consensus on POTF boxed items appearing here? I'm sure I've read memories of combo packs ( eg Tauntaun / Wampa ) or the body rigs turning up albeit very sparsely.
Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I've never seen a Tauntan/Wampa pack before, do you have one?

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
chipsteak said:
Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I've never seen a Tauntan/Wampa pack before, do you have one?

Too rich for my blood, I'm afraid. It came with a Luke Hoth figure. I think I choose a very bad example of boxed POTF as it's so rare I can't even find a picture of one right now.

Tickion

Padawan
Cardbackkid said:
Just wondering if the potf range mocs ever made it to the uk shops ? Has anyone seen one with a uk price sticker ?

I saw the POTF range just once, whilst on holiday in Ayr, Scotland in what must have been summer 1985. They were incredibly expensive at around £4.50 each, in what was more of a tourist shop than a toy shop somewhere by the ferry. Definitely POTF as I recall being really taken with the quality packaging and in particular the coins.

Despite the OTT price I was still very tempted to get a Han Carbonite (still a favourite MOC of mine) but held off. There was a good selection of the new figures but a few stood out - Luke Storm (weird as he wasn't from ROJ); Dignitary (who?); Han (loved the transparent carbonite) and Anakin (really scrapping the barrel - the last I'd have bought, but if only I'd known!)

I was totally surprised to see them - not only because of the quality packaging when quality control seems to have left the range with wet paint, miscards etc - but because SW seemed very much over. One of my biggest collecting regrets was my Dad actually asked if it was worth buying a set to keep unopened as an investment. I passed thinking I'd find them much cheaper elsewhere... After this I kept an eye out for them but never even saw the last 17 on Tri-logos. Next time I saw a POTF MOC was in LA circa 1994 for $80!!! WTF!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Btw, here is that combi pack I mentioned earlier. 'Hoth Rescue'.

http://starwars-imperium.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/hoth-rescue-kdm-set-mit-box.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom