Header image

Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular

Re: Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Postby retrotoyinfo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:35 am

I think here is fine. Below is my POTF body rig Sand Skimmer. The bubble yellowed which is very common but is undamaged, the bubbles were very thick plastic on these.

www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

StarWarsFan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby StarWarsFan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:49 am

Asda, may have had a small amount.

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 am

I believe the body rig Mocs were the US release where as we had the far superior boxes :D
I had the sand skimmer when I was a kid but never saw the other two until the 2000's. I believe they were more common on the continent.

POTF figures weren't on general release here and we got our last 17 on trilogo. They were well known about to collectors during the mid 90's but commanded a premium. Back then though Kenner was the thing to collect and stuff like trilogo's weren't in demand at all.

I did hear a rumour that the reason a lot of POTF Mocs have yellow bubbles is because they were from Australia and the climate down there is so hot they didn't stand a chance

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:18 am

This is from my childhood collection, purchased Christmas 86’ from Wolworths by my Dad. :)
Attachments
88E5EB93-556E-455A-878D-3F65F405BEBC.jpeg
88E5EB93-556E-455A-878D-3F65F405BEBC.jpeg (225.8 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Last edited by theforceuk on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:11 pm

chipsteak wrote:I know the question waa about figures but what's the consensus on POTF boxed items appearing here? I'm sure I've read memories of combo packs ( eg Tauntaun / Wampa ) or the body rigs turning up albeit very sparsely.

Sorry this doesn’t answer your question, but I’ve never seen a Tauntan/Wampa pack before, do you have one?

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Iv'e not seen anything before that has a POTF trilogo! :?

Neat! 8)
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Paullaura
Regular
Regular

Postby Paullaura » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Definitely saw some of these boxed sets with PoTF logos, just never saw the figures.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Mini99 wrote:
chipsteak wrote:I know the question waa about figures but what's the consensus on POTF boxed items appearing here? I'm sure I've read memories of combo packs ( eg Tauntaun / Wampa ) or the body rigs turning up albeit very sparsely.

Sorry this doesn’t answer your question, but I’ve never seen a Tauntan/Wampa pack before, do you have one?

Too rich for my blood, I'm afraid. It came with a Luke Hoth figure. I think I choose a very bad example of boxed POTF as it's so rare I can't even find a picture of one right now.

Tickion
Regular
Regular

Postby Tickion » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:27 am

Cardbackkid wrote:Just wondering if the potf range mocs ever made it to the uk shops ? Has anyone seen one with a uk price sticker ?

I saw the POTF range just once, whilst on holiday in Ayr, Scotland in what must have been summer 1985. They were incredibly expensive at around £4.50 each, in what was more of a tourist shop than a toy shop somewhere by the ferry. Definitely POTF as I recall being really taken with the quality packaging and in particular the coins.

Despite the OTT price I was still very tempted to get a Han Carbonite (still a favourite MOC of mine) but held off. There was a good selection of the new figures but a few stood out - Luke Storm (weird as he wasn't from ROJ); Dignitary (who?); Han (loved the transparent carbonite) and Anakin (really scrapping the barrel - the last I'd have bought, but if only I'd known!)

I was totally surprised to see them - not only because of the quality packaging when quality control seems to have left the range with wet paint, miscards etc - but because SW seemed very much over. One of my biggest collecting regrets was my Dad actually asked if it was worth buying a set to keep unopened as an investment. I passed thinking I'd find them much cheaper elsewhere... After this I kept an eye out for them but never even saw the last 17 on Tri-logos. Next time I saw a POTF MOC was in LA circa 1994 for $80!!! WTF!

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 am

Btw, here is that combi pack I mentioned earlier. 'Hoth Rescue'.

http://starwars-imperium.blogspot.co.uk ... t-box.html

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

chipsteak wrote:
Mini99 wrote:

Too rich for my blood, I'm afraid. It came with a Luke Hoth figure. I think I choose a very bad example of boxed POTF as it's so rare I can't even find a picture of one right now.

Thanks forlooking, I thought it must be rare as I had never heard if it let alone seeing one.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Mini99 wrote:
chipsteak wrote:
Mini99 wrote:Sorry this doesn’t answer your question, but I’ve never seen a Tauntan/Wampa pack before, do you have one?

Thanks forlooking, I thought it must be rare as I had never heard if it let alone seeing one.

I believe you mean the POTF 'Hoth Rescue Complete Playpack' set:

Hoth Rescue.JPG
Hoth Rescue.JPG (76.85 KiB) Viewed 61 times

Hoth Rescue 02.JPG
Hoth Rescue 02.JPG (89.29 KiB) Viewed 61 times

Pictures taken from here:

http://starwars-imperium.blogspot.co.uk ... t-box.html

It's a great website with some fabulous pictures to drool over, and well worth a browse. Sadly it hasn't been updated in years, but I still recommend having a look.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Many thanks guys, that is a lovely play set, I assume that this commands a very hefty price tag?
Generally I don’t go for boxed items as space is an issue for me, but I would make an exception for this!

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I believe you are correct about the price tag, but exactly how much they are currently worth, I couldn't say. It's certainly a very nice piece, but it isn't something I collect myself, so I can't claim to have been keeping a keen eye on recent prices, I'm afraid! :-) Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can offer an estimate?

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Only became aware of them in around 1994 at the first Empire Days etc. At the time they were much more sought after than Tri-logos. I'm sure some must've made it over in the 80's though, via excess Kenner stock etc.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”