Is Star Wars only for the rich ?

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
retrotoyinfo said:
I used to sell my Bend-Ems carded figures at boot sales for £1 each, maybe I was charging too much :lol:
I paid as coupe of quid for mine when I bought a couple. Dunno why. I think I had a vision of me sitting with my future grandchildren telling them stories about those few years when nobody gave a toot about Star Wars. With them obviously fascinated to hear all about it.

jayums

Jedi Master
For what it's worth, I've always like collecting loose figures, and having not collected anything for a year and dipping my toes back in, to me it seems the prices for run-of-the-mill stuff seem to have cooled quite a bit. Prices certainly haven't gone up IMO.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
The prices on loose figures are crazy. I couldn't imagine starting a loose run now. However I think you just have to pace yourself. It's not a race after all. Non of the big ticket items really appeal to me. I collect for fun and I'm not that bothered about having loads of expensive items in my collection. If I won the lottery then yes maybe I would buy some? I think it's about being realistic and not over spending. I'd love a load of 12 backs etc but it ain't going to happen so I'm happy with a few ROTJ MOCs.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
^^ here is wisdom.

Likewise, I don't have a Helix Death Star sharpener. I've got loads of other nick-nacks that haven't taken off ( yet ) in terms of being famously desirable, though. And much of that cost me next to eff all.

Like anything else in life, you've probably got something so enjoy it.

I've pondered that even if I did come into millions, I *might* just still be happy to admire the heavy stuff via the forums and the podcasts.

lejackal

Grand Master
As ridiculous as this might sound I think there is a lot more value for money available in MOCs at the minute - £28 for a foreign Jedi MOC anyone?
That's what I paid yesterday.

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
My genuine sealed 12 back carded Leia would not have cost me more than £100, I bought it around 2002 I think

STAR-WARS-12-BACK-LEIA-MOC-FRONT.png

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Nice one.

I got a slightly less beautiful Star Wars Jawa MOC for £56 about five years ago. I never thought I'd own a first film MOC. I love it and its never far from the front of my display.

No, they don't go under the eBay raider often. Yes, I'm delighted that hardly anyone bid on it too. :)

Heith

Padawan
I got a paploo staff in a vintage Action Man Lot a couple of weeks ago so thought I might have a go at putting a loose run together, been shocked at the price of some loose figures and job lots of loose figures, one lot just went for over a grand on ebay so I think I'll take my time this time around

jared007

Padawan
Heith said:
been shocked at the price of some loose figures and job lots of loose figures

Actually that's one thing that's changed in recent years in my experience. Job lot's used to be really good value and that's how I got most of my loose figures here in the UK, then sold off extras. But Job lot's seem to go for a price which is pretty much just the sum of all the individual figure prices now. There's not much economy there anymore.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Yes, job lots were a large part of why I have a collection.

I'm sure we've both watched job lots with weapons in them, for example, hoping to save a few quid at the expense of an afternoon's work relisting the unwanted ones. For nowt.

I did feel great quite recently when I effectively got a complete die cast TIE for free by selling the items I bought it with. It doesn't happen often though.

subzero

Sith Lord
I did the same thing a few months ago I bought a job lot of figures and sold off everything accept one figure, after fees & postage I got my money back with a little bit of profit and a free complete Jawa. 8)

Haven't had another opportunity like that since though :( just got really lucky that one time.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I thought I was at a loose end for checking every auction that mentioned simply Star Wars to find the vaguely described ones at the height of my enthusiasm and aforementioned boredom.

Then I heard of a man who waded through every toy listing to find the ones that never even mentioned Star Wars.

I drew a line there. :D

Heith

Padawan
chipsteak said:
I thought I was at a loose end for checking every auction that mentioned simply Star Wars to find the vaguely described ones at the height of my enthusiasm and aforementioned boredom.

Then I heard of a man who waded through every toy listing to find the ones that never even mentioned Star Wars.

I drew a line there. :D

I have been known to type in 70s in the toy category on ebay and while a morning away, you soon get pissed off once you get past the 1st couple of hundred pages though!

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
theforceuk said:
Certainly not, collect what the rich don't want. :wink:
What, Bend-Ems? ;-)

POS 01.jpg

What's all this hate for bendems i love them always have but then again i'm mad, you know you get miscards as well, the possibilities are endless with very little quality control :D its a trap no its a miscard :)

Attachments

• DSCF0564.JPG
    DSCF0564.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 884

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
bosk70 said:
Snaketibe said:
theforceuk said:
Certainly not, collect what the rich don't want. :wink:
What, Bend-Ems? ;-)

POS 01.jpg

What's all this hate for bendems i love them always have but then again i'm mad, you know you get miscards as well, the possibilities are endless with very little quality control :D its a trap no its a miscard :)
That's excellent! :-D The good Admiral can pretend to be an Emperor's Royal Guard whilst surrendering at the same time (is he French?)... or possibly performing semaphore... or is he directing traffic?... Or just warning customers away from the toy aisle? ;-)

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
bosk70 said:
Snaketibe said:
What, Bend-Ems? ;-)

POS 01.jpg

That's excellent! :-D The good Admiral can pretend to be an Emperor's Royal Guard whilst surrendering at the same time (is he French?)... or possibly performing semaphore... or is he directing traffic?... Or just warning customers away from the toy aisle? ;-)

Don't forget the bonus limited edition collectors card's i thought i was going to pay my mortgage off by now picking these beauties up back in the day :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
The prices on loose figures are crazy. I couldn't imagine starting a loose run now. However I think you just have to pace yourself. It's not a race after all. Non of the big ticket items really appeal to me. I collect for fun and I'm not that bothered about having loads of expensive items in my collection. If I won the lottery then yes maybe I would buy some? I think it's about being realistic and not over spending. I'd love a load of 12 backs etc but it ain't going to happen so I'm happy with a few ROTJ MOCs.

Yes as above. :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
No, its not for the rich.

Star Wars is for anyone, you make it what you want it to be. Whether you own a complete MOc set or a set of Erasers, you are just the same as them. Don't ever think different because the people who do are self centered,ignorant big headed tools.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom