Stickers on Mocs

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Looking at 2 cardbacks with sliced bubbles I have

Han with offer sticker
Chewie with whiteplain sticker in top right hand corner

I have read that the use of lighter fluid assists in lifting the stickers, my question is:

Once sticker is lifted with the use of lighter fluid is the sticker able to be replaced in a different position on the card? Or is the sticker damaged

The white sticker ( blank) on the Chewie .....was this done on all 20 backs or is it just a random white sticker?

Would be interested in any advice.

Normally I wouldn't look to remove stickers, just leave them, but in the case of the Han repositioning the offer sticker would cover a damage area and make the finished piece better for display, I would rather use original parts in this way than try and repair a damaged area of litho

I will put up some pics so it will explain better what I mean :D

subzero

Sith Lord
Iv'e only removed a sticker once using lighter fluid, I have a Visionaries figure that had a horrible half peeled off large sticker full of residue, like when someone has pulled the sticker off but left a thin layer of torn white paper on it. I can say the lighter fluid worked wonders in removing it all and it looks like there was never a sticker there, but the fluid didn't make it easily peel off though, I had to keep soaking the sticker with the corner of a cloth soaked in fluid and constantly scraping the paper away with my fingernail a tiny bit at a time.

There's no way I could have peeled the whole thing off without damaging it, but it might be different though depending on the sticker, as I think some are stickier than others.

lejackal

Grand Master
Maybe try this?

https://lifehacker.com/5482887/remove-stubborn-stickers-with-a-hair-dryer

apack7229

Sith Lord
I would say that the offer stickers would be stickier than most store price stickers would be so it would probably be hard to take off without damaging it.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Once you remove the sticker it will never go back the same, just like the Panini stickers. :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
My experience is that some price stickers can be removed quite easily with a hair dryer, don't forget to cover/protect the bubble.
But the factory applied stickers are well and truly stuck amd I suspect that you will cause a lot of damage to the litho. If you try to remove.
I have a last 17 tri that has had the £1.59 sticker removed, I hate that sticker, but the card would look beter with that than what it does now!
My suggestion is to find a damaged unwanted cardback with the same sticker on that you could practice sticker removal on.

indianawars

Sith Lord
I've used goo gone to great success. Use a cotton bud to apply it, leave it to do its magic and the sticker should come right off. Then use another cotton bud to gently remove the price sticker residue. If it's a stubborn price sticker, just repeat step one again.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks guys I will try the Alex Fergusson process first ( Hairdryer :lol: ) see how it goes

What's the story with the white sticker on the Chewie 20 back? Were they put on all 20 backs?

Attachments

• IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2751.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 797

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
None of the 20 / 21 backs that I have, have that white sticker.
Possibly a sticker to cover up sticker removal damage?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes that's what I thought, but then again I'm sure I have read a thread on here that stated the OP was starting a run of 20 backs with the white price sticker but gave up as they were hard to find, but I may be dreaming that.
The white sticker looks aged and like it's been in situ from the beginning. Can't see any unevennesess or ridding or anything under the sticker though, I'm thinking possibly they were used to put prices on, again maybe I'm wrong, I will wait and see if anyone chips in.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The Chewie white sticker pulled away easy as pie , no hairdryers or anything and not a blemish left, I've kept the sticker though just in case, I love him and £40 all in ( as I already had the Chewie figure and bowcaster) I think is awesome for a 20 back Chewie well proud of him, especially with Han next to him. Buzzing tonight 8)

Attachments

• IMG_2750.JPG
    IMG_2750.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2751.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_2752.JPG
    IMG_2752.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 771

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Michael Sith said:
The Chewie white sticker pulled away easy as pie , no hairdryers or anything and not a blemish left, I've kept the sticker though just in case, I love him and £40 all in ( as I already had the Chewie figure and bowcaster) I think is awesome for a 20 back Chewie well proud of him, especially with Han next to him. Buzzing tonight 8)
Now I can see why you want to move the sticker on the Han card.
Both nice additions, look great.

Mrleemur

Jedi Knight
I would suspect that isopropyl alcohol would be a better option than lighter fluid (that's butane isn't it??)

Isopropyl is what is generally used for removing sticky label gunk, and churned labels from thermal label printers.

If you want some, easiest to get hold of is Servisol Switch cleaner, you can get it at Maplin, but obvs cheaper online.

I haven't used it on a cardback, but pretty sure I've used it on dvd boxsets from CEX, imagine the card on the box is similar to a card back??

Also used it to pull the sticky tape gunk from the free badge from RotJ Issue 1 (had already been separated from the comic). That now looks brand new!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
The only stickers I don"t enjoy are POTF Coin Offer labels. I own one - an ESB Lobot. I bought that one as I enjoy the fact that it presumably sat unwanted from 1981 until it got POTF-stickered in 1985.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I have stickers on a few of my MOC'S, thankfully they are small, as for me I would rather they were not there. Assuming the Sticker is small do you think it affects the price, does the sticker reduce the value of the item?

Taffius

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I have stickers on a few of my MOC'S, thankfully they are small, as for me I would rather they were not there. Assuming the Sticker is small do you think it affects the price, does the sticker reduce the value of the item?

In historical terms, stickers to me would add value. Provienance is positive in my world and triggers nostalgia of course.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
They add value to me too. The fact that they subtract value for the world at large makes them a win/ win as far as I'm concerned.

I'm more ambivalent toward overseas price labels but show me a UK label and I'm gushing. I don't have any strong feelings of nationality but show me a British distributed Star Wars toy and I'm a right perochial bugger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom