Is Star Wars only for the rich ?

lejackal

Grand Master
_Lee_ said:
No, its not for the rich.

Star Wars is for anyone, you make it what you want it to be. Whether you own a complete MOc set or a set of Erasers, you are just the same as them. Don't ever think different because the people who do are self centered,ignorant big headed tools.
may I remind you that it's time to move over and let the big boys in :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I've been following this thread and finding it quite frustrating. Everyone's always banging on about the money and prices. It's like saying are cars only for the rich? You can go and buy a classic car for a couple of thousand, you can also go and buy a classic Ferrari for millions. You have to find and buy what you like and can afford, not cry about the fact you can't buy a ****ing Harbert Moc or whatever. I just scored a mint boxed unused VME this evening for 25 quid. I've been looking for one and a Radar laser cannon for ages, tonight one turned up and I got it. It's simple, just don't collect the rare and expensive (if you can't afford it) and be patient. It's certainly not just for the rich.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Life is what you make it,
From the perspective of where you sit,
Is it that you crave what others own,
No , it's what you want for you alone,
It's your taste, what entreats your smile,
Not to follow the flock, the rank and file,
A poor man can be rich in many ways,
If he is true to himself in all his days,
Mountains of silver and rivers of gold,
Compare not a jot to the reseal you hold. :D

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I thought most of the posts here were along the lines of 'just be thankful for what you've got'. Eventually, ultimately... as a summation after some middle aged griping of course.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I've only ever collected for fun and never spent much money, think that's reflected in the eccentric and average quality and types of items I have, when it becomes about the value it doesn't interest me, its always been about the fun and the memories, if I had anything of any real value I would worry about its storage.
Having grown up with these toys in the 70's / 80's I still don't quite understand the monitory value attached to them these days. :) and like all toys I think one day when we are all gone and the next generation's have their own childhood favourites, vintage sw will struggle to sell, but the Disney franchise's will extent this period some what

subzero

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
I've only ever collected for fun and never spent much money, think that's reflected in the eccentric and average quality and types of items I have, when it becomes about the value it doesn't interest me, its always been about the fun and the memories, if I had anything of any real value I would worry about its storage.
Having grown up with these toys in the 70's / 80's I still don't quite understand the monitory value attached to them these days. :) and like all toys I think one day when we are all gone and the next generation's have their own childhood favourites, vintage sw will struggle to sell, but the Disney franchise's will extent this period some what

After we're all gone then interest and value in them will definitely either halt or dip, but I suspect that it could take another turn and start becoming sought after again by the next generation, by how much though I don't have a clue, but there's gotta be so many kids out there who will grow up one day and will look to wanna collect vintage SW because they remind them of their dad etc.

During my very short career ( very short career :lol: ) as a member on echobase I was very surprised at the amount of posts I saw showing members' kids getting involved with vintage figures, collecting them & playing with them, and these kids will grow up feeling nostalgic about all that, I really had no idea how many collectors were influencing their kids with these toys, but it seems to be a lot.

And with social media being a massive influence now it's a lot harder for people to forget about vintage SW, so I think there's a longer way left to go with demand for them than what a lot of people think.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
In addition to that, I have wondered if some future humans might give a **** about our stuff inside a more general hobby of collecting 20th century film memorabilia like classic film cinema posters so on.

I do think of Star Wars as a kind of king-pin of collecting, a little bit like stamps and coins. I'd be fascinated to know that proves true.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
To add, if I were forced to pick a few items from my collection to keep and the rest to move on I would choose my childhood Leia Boussh and AT-AT bulb cover because they hold something to that no amount of money could buy. I've been there, bought the rarities blah, blah but in fairness as long as I have the OT movies and the bits I mentioned the rest could fade away. Its nice to own certain pieces but whether you have them or not we are all doing this because of those movies :)

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Pomse2001 said:
After all of us have seen the prices going up and up. Then I am beginning to think if people want to have a focus on

Palitoy moc
Lili Ledy cardbacks, moc or boxes
Poch/pbp cardbacks, moc or boxes
Meccano moc
Glasslite moc
Top Toys moc
Toltoys moc, cardbacks

Then you need to have a big wallet unless you maybe can live with maybe buying 1 item every year.

and a full run of loose figures complete with weapons can also cost a lot today.

Ok if you have patience then you can still find some of the items for good prices, but some items is so rare so you have to be ****ing lucky to find them cheap.

What do you think ? :?

I don't think you have to be rich to collect Star Wars just selective what you focus on, obviously if you are going to go after rare MOC on any card type it is going to be expensive and you will need a lot of disposable income.

Personally I think Loose prices will continue to escalate as virtually all sales are recorded resulting in new benchmarks being set on a monthly basis which is more attractive to the investor as price rises can easily be tracked. I think MOC (including Rare MOC) is currently undervalued and will stay undervalued due to the fact a large majority of sales are unrecorded because of the preferred Private Sale method of selling. Investors are actively discouraged/ostracised in this hobby by the collecting community maybe in a bid to selfishly keep prices down. Investors are also deterred with the fact that there is very little sales data for Rare MOC to go off resulting in price increases being more rumour rather than fact. The good news is cheaper MOC prices for everyone Rich or not so Rich.

Taffius

Sith Lord
What is deemed as being rich? Big value spends or high earning?

I believe I could afford more than I buy however I find it hard to justify the prices whether I am rich or not.
I want a lot but, will not splash without serious consideration on what I want out of hobby. On that front I dont think you have to be rich to be content (at this stage of my collecting anyway).

Some will spend every last penny they earn on SW but may not be rich if you know what I mean. If they are happy then in a way they are just as rich as bigger spenders. :D

lejackal

Grand Master
Nope, MOCs for all budgets are out there, this was £28

Attachments

• 670F415E-B516-4D98-A4B4-81DF17CE7C2B.png
    670F415E-B516-4D98-A4B4-81DF17CE7C2B.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 797

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I thought loose prices seemed to be stabilising or in some cases coming down of late? Certainly for non-last 17 figures anyway.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
lejackal said:

Nice moc carl for a great price 8)

But what if you would do a run of moc from PBP, Lili Ledy, Meccano, Palitoy, German moc, Glasslite, Canadian Kenner, Harbert, POCH, Clipper, Toltoys or Toptoys. Would that be possible today unless you have a bigger wallet than others ? :?

lejackal

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
lejackal said:

But what if you would do a run of moc from PBP, Lili Ledy, Meccano, Palitoy, German moc, Glasslite, Canadian Kenner, Harbert, POCH, Clipper, Toltoys or Toptoys. Would that be possible today unless you have a bigger wallet than others ? :?
Probably not but I can't afford a Ferrari either so I go to the Citroen dealer - there are items for all budgets I guess but if you do want foreign delights and you have a smaller budget then you will need to make sacrifices - Ben for example enjoys owning a modest number or foreign MOCs including Trilogo miscards, PBP and Ledy but his sacrifice was to clear out all/most of his Kenner and other common MOCs.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
lejackal said:
Pomse2001 said:
lejackal said:

Probably not but I can't afford a Ferrari either so I go to the Citroen dealer - there are items for all budgets I guess but if you do want foreign delights and you have a smaller budget then you will need to make sacrifices - Ben for example enjoys owning a modest number or foreign MOCs including Trilogo miscards, PBP and Ledy but his sacrifice was to clear out all/most of his Kenner and other common MOCs.

I go to the used car dealer :lol:

I think for most collectors it is still possible to get most moc for a good price if they buy kenner ROTJ moc and maybe some ROTJ palitoy :? but many of the others are to expensive I think if you want a full run :? and not want to use 50 years to complete the run.

The same with figures kenner/palitoy variants can we all still get for good prices, some last 17 is crazy but in time they would be possible to get.
But if you want to collect foreign figures and make a full run, then again I think many of the prices is ****ing crazy if you want them complete with correct weapon.

The same with foreign cardbacks, it is not even easy to get a full run of tri-logo cardbacks, I still miss the Madine cardback :(

Last month a solo poch carback sold for £745, ****ing crazy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37-41-Back-Gratis-Sticker-Han-Solo-PBP-POCH-Star-Wars-Rare-Bottom-TEXT-no-AFA-/183033397570?hash=item2a9da40142%3Ag%3AcBQAAOSw4EhaUPDP&nma=true&si=xSMwx0aqPmQJsAuEWOVcTlw%252BleM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I do not know how many money people have to buy for. But I think many collectors maybe have between £50 and £200 every month. So with some prices today it would take more than 50 years to complete a full run of some foreign items, I think :?

What do you think ?

lejackal

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
lejackal said:
Pomse2001 said:

I think for most collectors it is still possible to get most moc for a good price if they buy kenner ROTJ moc and maybe some ROTJ palitoy :? but many of the others are to expensive I think if you want a full run :? and not want to use 50 years to complete the run.

The same with figures kenner/palitoy variants can we all still get for good prices, some last 17 is crazy but in time they would be possible to get.
But if you want to collect foreign figures and make a full run, then again I think many of the prices is ****ing crazy if you want them complete with correct weapon.

The same with foreign cardbacks, it is not even easy to get a full run of tri-logo cardbacks, I still miss the Madine cardback :(

Last month a solo poch carback sold for £745, ****ing crazy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37-41-Back-Gratis-Sticker-Han-Solo-PBP-POCH-Star-Wars-Rare-Bottom-TEXT-no-AFA-/183033397570?hash=item2a9da40142%3Ag%3AcBQAAOSw4EhaUPDP&nma=true&si=xSMwx0aqPmQJsAuEWOVcTlw%252BleM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I do not know how many money people have to buy for. But I think many collectors maybe have between £50 and £200 every month. So with some prices today it would take more than 50 years to complete a full run of some foreign items, I think :?

What do you think ?
I go to the used car dealer :lol: - ME TO :D

Yes, my budget is around £50 or £100, if that - I top it up with sales of other bits and being honest don't expect to have a full run of anything anytime soon.

Not many will ever have full foreign runs and not all those with the cash to do it would want to

lejackal

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
lejackal said:
Pomse2001 said:

What do you think ?

Yes, my budget is around £50 or £100, if that - I top it up with sales of other bits and being honest don't expect to have a full run of anything anytime soon.

Not many will ever have full foreign runs and not all those with the cash to do it would want to

Pomse2001

Grand Master
lejackal said:
Pomse2001 said:
lejackal said:

What do you think ?

I guess you are correct not all try to get a full run of foreign items :? oh so you also go to the used car dealer :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom