What is the Market Price and Who Decides it?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Michael Sith said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
jared007 said:
All good advice here. For items that have very little sales history (or few recent sales) you really just have to start the price high and lower until someone wants it. If doing an auction, this is a great time to set a reserve price that you are comfortable selling it at - any higher then that's a bonus. I guess the problem here is finding the kind of person that really wants it in the timeframe you advertise. You may sell low only to findout another collector would have paid even more but they just didn't hear about it in time. For high end items, your market shrinks dramatically.

Is this a hyperthetical or is this advice for you? If you give some specifics some people here might be able to help out.

It is advice for me but more about buying than selling. I occasionally get offered some rare MOC and was curious how other collectors decide what is an acceptable price to pay. I use Star Wars Tracker but unfortunately it does not pick up the private sales which seems to be the preferred method of selling for rare Palitoy MOC (at least that is what I have experienced). So do you just pay what the seller wants if it is being sold privately?

Also how do I find out how rare something is, how many known examples exist both graded and ungraded as surely this has a bearing on the price?

I think the point here is the rare high ticket items maybe looked at as an investment for a potential buyer, but the demand for said piece is distilled into a a pool of would be buyers, that have the collecting bug, with all of its emotive elements ( that are not there with the investor buying the piece to sell ata a profit) therefore it's is much harder to price. If a potential buyer needs said piece for his personal "run" then he is more likely to pay a higher price for it but won't get into a frenzied eBay or auction type freeforall!
A little bit like an antiques collector having great contacts in the antique dealer market who buy specifically for a client they know and know their needs and wants, thus meaning the original investor needs to be for want of a better word an "expert" on the particular area of collecting. As we all know the experts are the collectors themselves who buy to keep not as an investment ( other than maybe an investment at one point they bequeath as they won't sell anything that they have in their " Kung fu grip"!)

Just my opinion on the buying to sell as an investment.

I am not looking to sell the items I buy, I just want to know that If I ever needed to sell them for whatever reason I did not overpay in the first place as whether you are a collector, Investor or something in between no one wants to buy something that they could not resell at the same price.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom