this is why my figures are in a dark room

Lindo

Sith Lord
why do people leave figures in direct sunlight, what a waste, in my eyes this is pretty much ****ed now
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-Vintage-ex-AFA-85-1978-Kenner-MOC-Luke-Skywalker-Farmboy-12-Back-C/222856356396?hash=item33e346222c:g:mgsAAOSwor1aaOvE

indianawars

Sith Lord
Modelers loft in Bournemouth have their vintage star wars items by the front door which is mostly made of glass. So sad to see items fade or discolour. They had/have a Greedo MOC that is so badly sun damaged, you would think that they would move the display away from the door. But every time I visit, it's still by the front door faded even more than before.

Palifan

Sith Lord
That is sad to see and such a waste of what once must have been a great moc. It does make you wonder what some people must be thinking when displaying their items.

Ian

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
That's quite an interesting MOC as the acrylic cases are supposed to be something like 90% UV resistant. Clearly it hasn't worked this time

subzero

Sith Lord
The seller might as well have displayed it outside in his garden all summer, what a waste!

Unfortunately when some people hear it's 90% UV protective they believe it will be immune to sunlight, even if it's 99.99% UV protective it will still be affected if left in direct light for long enough.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
My display is in a room with one window, and due to its location it doesn't receive direct sunlight. Does anyone know is ambient sunlight bouncing off the walls would effect items? I was thinking of getting UV film to go on the windows - does anyone know much about it? How much it costs, how easy to install, how effective it is? It's not a room I can just shut the curtains in as it doubles up as mine and the other half's office.

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
My display is in a room with one window, and due to its location it doesn't receive direct sunlight. Does anyone know is ambient sunlight bouncing off the walls would effect items? I was thinking of getting UV film to go on the windows - does anyone know much about it? How much it costs, how easy to install, how effective it is? It's not a room I can just shut the curtains in as it doubles up as mine and the other half's office.

Ambient light should be fine if the cases have 90% protection anyway, as long as direct light never hardly touches them you should be fine, all my MOC's are against a wall that never faces the sun so they should be alright however I haven't had mine for long enough to know if they're getting affected yet, if there are any UV light experts on here i'd love to know a definite answer.

I don't know anything abut UV film though, but as a guess surely it can't cost too much, but i'm guessing it would be similar to applying tint film to a car window only easier as there's no curve to a house window.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
there was a luke bespin with a crushed bubble on ebay a couple of years ago with worse sun fading than this one, I was really tempted as it looked really unique, went way over my price limit in the end

Lindo

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
I bought uv film off ebay for my glass display cabinet, it was about 20 quid and just sticky back, pretty much like tinting car windows, but then keep the curtains shut anyway

subzero

Sith Lord
Lindo said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
I bought uv film off ebay for my glass display cabinet, it was about 20 quid and just sticky back, pretty much like tinting car windows, but then keep the curtains shut anyway

I'd love to do that for my Detolf cabinet but if there was even a single tiny bit of dust under it then it would drive me completely insane looking at it. :lol:

yoda

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Lindo said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

I'd love to do that for my Detolf cabinet but if there was even a single tiny bit of dust under it then it would drive me completely insane looking at it. :lol:

Or a big greasy fingerprint, air bubble or fold, but I think your right the dust is the worst :)

subzero

Sith Lord
yoda said:
subzero said:
Lindo said:

Or a big greasy fingerprint, air bubble or fold, but I think your right the dust is the worst :)

And then aligning it perfectly too and only getting one shot at it, and even if it could peel back off if you make a mistake the static would attract tons of dust.

But yeah it's air bubbles from dust particles that make me angry, I couldn't even avoid that when applying a small PSP screen cover. :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I have fitted UV film to my windows and it's not that difficult. With the kind I bought you use diluted Johnson's Baby shampoo (seriously!) as a slip solution to help slide and adjust the film into position. It's easily available on eBay (the film and the shampoo ;-)), however I'm paranoid about UV damage because I know just how harmful it can be, so I also keep the curtains closed too since even low levels of UV will damage non light-fast inks over time, which means your cards and boxes WILL fade eventually if exposed.

It makes me weep when I see fantastic collections displayed anywhere near sunlight. I absolutely do NOT trust them simply being out of direct sunlight, as UV can and does reflect just like visible light (and if you stop and think about it, why wouldn't it?). You are able to see into the corners of your room which don't receive direct sunlight because they receive reflected visible light, but they also receive some reflected UV. It's at a much, much lower intensity obviously, but that's not the same as receiving zero UV.

Here's an article about surfaces that reflect UV. It's talking about outdoor surfaces like paint reflecting UV, but the same principle still applies to that amount of UV light that your window glass fails to absorb: https://www.uvdaily.com.au/blog/reflected-uv/

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
I have fitted UV film to my windows and it's not that difficult. With the kind I bought you use diluted Johnson's Baby shampoo (seriously!) as a slip solution to help slide and adjust the film into position. It's easily available on eBay (the film and the shampoo ;-)), however I'm paranoid about UV damage because I know just how harmful it can be, so I also keep the curtains closed too since even low levels of UV will damage non light-fast inks over time, which means your cards and boxes WILL fade eventually if exposed.

It makes me weep when I see fantastic collections displayed anywhere near sunlight. I absolutely do NOT trust them simply being out of direct sunlight, as UV can and does reflect just like visible light (and if you stop and think about it, why wouldn't it?). You are able to see into the corners of your room which don't receive direct sunlight because they receive reflected visible light, but they also receive some reflected UV. It's at a much, much lower intensity obviously, but that's not the same as receiving zero UV.

Here's an article about surfaces that reflect UV. It's talking about outdoor surfaces like paint reflecting UV, but the same principle still applies to that amount of UV light that your window glass fails to absorb: https://www.uvdaily.com.au/blog/reflected-uv/
Thanks for the great "kinky" tips for fitting UV film to the windows Jeremy. How do the windows look with the film on? Also great link to UV reflection. I imagined it did so only have stuff on display behind acrylic at the moment.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Thanks for the great "kinky" tips for fitting UV film to the windows Jeremy. How do the windows look with the film on? Also great link to UV reflection. I imagined it did so only have stuff on display behind acrylic at the moment.
You wouldn't even know the film was on really. There's different types of film available with varying levels of protection (and not just against UV, but also film which reduces heat transmission if your room is too hot, tinted films, etc.), but the one I've used in that room blocks virtually all UV and is completely untinted, so you wouldn't even know it's there once fitted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom