Star Wars original vintage film posters

Screen Moments

Youngling
Hi,

for those who haven't read my bio in the "introduce yourself" thread, my name is Louise and I am a film poster collector who over time has transitioned into a dealer. I have a website through which I sell posters and animation cels (screenmoments.com). I mostly sell at conventions (London Film and Comic Con, London Super Con and Star Wars Celebration (London)) and my website.

This thread will list Star Wars posters which are original and vintage posters printed for use in cinemas. No reproductions or commercial posters are being offered. Each poster will have it's own post in the thread.

If you are not happy with your purchase you can return the poster (within 30 days of receipt) for a refund. Please take care in returning posters, as we are all aware here, that with many collectables their value is dependent on their condition. Please use the same packaging method as you received the poster (Tubes for rolled posters and for folded items protected between oversized cardboard and then boxed to prevent additional folding). Please return using a signed and tracked service (at your expense).

There is one poster which isn't a cinema poster. It is a Star Wars related (Yoda) original and vintage poster that was issued by the American Library Association in 1983 to encourage reading.

All prices include free shipping in the UK using a signed and tracked service. For international buyers I will provide a shipping price based on a tracked and signed service once destination known. Payments can be made by PayPal Goods or via our website (once I have updated the price for the discount I will offer here).

As I'm a New User here I'm offering the posters at a SWF.UK 5% discounted price versus my website.

If you have any queries don't hesitate to ask on the thread or by PM.

Please note that the first person to post on thread or PM (determined by date stamp) will win the item.

Thanks for looking
Louise

Screen Moments

Youngling
Film: Star Wars
Poster Type: Australian Daybill

Size: 13" x 30"

Stored: Rolled

Condition: Very Fine + on Linen. Can't see any restoration other than putting on linen to smooth out poster for presentation purposes

See website for full description:
https://www.screenmoments.com/collections/posters/products/star-wars

SWF Price (including shipping in UK): £400

Attachments

• Star Wars C Daybill.JPG
    Star Wars C Daybill.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,563

Screen Moments

Youngling
Poster Title: Read...and the force is with you

Issuer: American Library Association

Size: 22" x 34"

Stored: Rolled

Condition: Very Fine

See website for full description:

https://www.screenmoments.com/products/51107

SWF Price (including shipping in UK): £285

Attachments

• 51107_Read...and_the_Force_is_with_You_1983_Library_Poster_1024x1024.jpg
    51107_Read...and_the_Force_is_with_You_1983_Library_Poster_1024x1024.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,562

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
I think you're living in a dream world with those prices

Although my local antique shop was selling a us jedi poster similar to yours for £495 just before Christmas and some idiot bought it so what do I know :lol:

Screen Moments

Youngling
Since The Force Awakens was announced, prices for original vintage Star War film posters have substantially increased. Prices have been driven upwards by US buyers. In the last year I have sold 2 Star Wars Style A, 2 ESB styles A, 1 ESB style B, 2 ROJ Style A and a Star Wars Style C. All for prices that are consistent with grades and prices on the website. The Star Wars Style C (Very Fine) that I sold went for £1,500. In the US a Fine/Very Fine went for $4,541 in July 2017.

Those who want an original vintage poster are prepared to pay the market price. What would a Jawa with vinyl cape mint in the box go for these days?

If you want crazy prices you should see my husband's hobby - world record price for a comic book is $3.2 million (and it's only the second best copy of Action Comics #1 - first Superman).

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
They are some lovely posters Louise.
Thanks for offereing them on here, all be it, they are all too rich for me.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Lovely posters indeed.

May I ask some advice with your knowledge of the current market, Louise. What might I expect to pay for an original Empire Strikes Back US style B from the 1980 first release painted by Tom Jung? It's always been one of my favourite designs.

original.jpg

Cheers
Chris

Screen Moments

Youngling
TK-7785 said:
Lovely posters indeed.

May I ask some advice with your knowledge of the current market, Louise. What might I expect to pay for an original Empire Strikes Back US style B from the 1980 first release painted by Tom Jung? It's always been one of my favourite designs.

original.jpg

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

I personally prefer the Style B to the Style A (the "Gone With the Wind") poster but there is a market premium for the Style A over the Style B.

In terms of pricing I am assuming that you are asking for the standard US one-sheet that went to cinemas (same as your image). 20th Century Fox did produce a number of posters for internal use that used the same inage but had various differences in the wording, a darker background blue and were issued rolled and not folded (part of NSS distribution to cinemas was to send them folded). As these were printed in a considerably lower number they can cost more than 3x the price of the standard issue poster.

Please bear in mind the following when looking at pricing:
- prcing is based on technical grade (a poster that is distributed folded for example can be near mint in condition as long as there is no deterioration in the folds). Everyone here is of course aware that grading is important when comparing pricing as it doesn't make sense to compare a VG/FN poster with a NM poster and that grading is an art rather than a science.

- pricing is also based on looks. Posters with the same technical grade may vary in price based on how they present comparatively. For example, rolled always prices higher than folded as long as the poster is genuine. Deeper colours price higher than sun-faded.

- please ensure that you determine the all-in-price when comparing like for like posters. Some prices quoted include shipping for free while others add on shipping after. Prices from US, for example, generally don't include the VAT that is charged on arrival to the UK. You need, therefore, to multiply the price quoted by 120% and add on fx variance costs before comparing to domestic prices otherwise you are in for a nasty surprise when the post arrives.

Now to what you asked.

Pricing for UK (delivered to house):
Grade £
VG/FN 150 (£30 variation each way dependent on how presents)
VF 350 (£50 variation each way) I sold a solid VF for £350 at the end of last year
VF/NM 425 (£50 variation each way)
NM 525 (£50 variation each way)

I hope that helps.

Louise

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Thanks, Louise. That's great help. I will be keeping my ear to the ground. One last question if I may...I've often seen some original film posters that are backed onto linen, does this affect the value at all?

Cheers
Chris

Screen Moments

Youngling
TK-7785 said:
Thanks, Louise. That's great help. I will be keeping my ear to the ground. One last question if I may...I've often seen some original film posters that are backed onto linen, does this affect the value at all?

Cheers
Chris

How poster collectors view restoration is more consistent with art than with comics for example.

Pricing is not downgraded for restoration when done professionally. Linen is used to smooth out all the folds that the poster had once distributed. If you look at the Star Wars Australian Daybill at the top of this thread you will see how smooth and flat the poster looks.

In determining pricing it is key to understand the grading convention - grading prior to restoration and then Linen statement. It is graded by me as VF+ on Linen. The VF+ is the grade before restoration work. It is priced based on it being a VF+ with minimal restoration that has enhanced how it presents. It looks a lot better than most VF+ unrestored posters but has not been priced as a VF/NM or NM-.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom