THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 46 LAUNCHED

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Great interview with Chris Georgoulias. Such a fountain of knowledge and all round great guy (as are all the lads on the SWCA). Excellent catch up interview with Iain too. As a fellow ITFC fan it's always nice to here his dulcet tones on the podcast even if it's tainted with an American twang now. :lol: As for Pete and his gimcrack he has a lot to answer for. I have a bad back so go out for walks 3 or 4 times a day. I listen to the podcast when I'm walking and find myself smiling, laughing and humming along to the various sections. I was walking along the other day and Pete's section came on and I found myself singing along to "Gimcrack, show us your Gimcrack" drawing some strange looks from a couple of little old ladies at the bus stop. :oops:

spoons

Grand Master
Just got to the first interview sonsome one to go, but judging by the comment above dumping Darth gets a mention

It and many other famous characters/figure are sold all over Catalonia and are based on an original image of a boy taking a dump - thought to be a good luck figure representing fertilising the fields

As to the repro debate I agree with JabbaWookie above

I'm no fan but I think that there is a place for repros as nostalgia comes from things that look like the originals too, and saying that they are not Star Wars is snobbery.

A loose Leia with a repro blaster is fine when the original is £50 or more. It's the makers of those 'perfect' blasters that are the bane of the hobby not the collectors.

What need is there for a repro that matches the original so closely? Not for nostalgia but only to rip people off. Rich's idea for white blasters would work or just an R on the handle.

The 40th Helix are repro but properly designed so as not to fool anyone, and loads of other lines have modern equivalents (Mego, Action Man etc). Tricky to spot when out of the packaging but are popular with some collectors.

I own a 40th Death Star pencil sharpener purely because I won't splash out on the original. How is that different to someone wanting a cheap repro blaster because they don't want to pay current high prices?

Repro boxes should be like the vintage collection cardbacks, similar but different enough not to fool anyone. An easily removed r is no good - I know this from experience where I was scammed by someone removing the 40th text from the base of an action man box, and then aged the rest of it. Was gutted when I realised but I wouldn't deny someone the right to buy repro, just that the makers change the backs of these things so that they can't fool anyone

Pete is bang on about the cost too, original opened micro collection in good boxes can be had for £40. Why would anyone buy poor quality repro at similar prices without the toys?

So in short my view is that the right to own repro should not be judged, but the creators of near perfect repros designed to fool people are the bane of this hobby.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
spoons said:
So in short my view is that the right to own repro should not be judged, but the creators of near perfect repros designed to fool people are the bane of this hobby.
When I first renetered the hobby before I found SWFUK and VR, I reviewed my collection and realised I had picked up a few Repro weapons on the way. I wanted legit copies so I picked up a figure and weapon and sold off the figure with the Repro item on eBay (always clearly marked). A woman contacted me and said she was buying on behalf of her 8 or 9 year old son. He was into his Star Wars but couldn't afford legit copies of the weapon. She asked if I had any other. Later when I was selling off a couple more the boy emailed me directly through her account and bought them all. After I found SWFUK and VR and made a clear decision to stop selling any Repro I picked up accidentally and file them instead, I would sell weaponless figures and he would buy them and enquire if I had a Repro weapon to complete it. It is for this reason that I say there can be a place in the hobby for Repro but like Spoons I feel it should be clearly identifiable. I admit that because of the cost of accessories, there will always be a market for the creators of near perfect Repro, and I don't have a solution for this. Would we all be anti-Repro if it was clearly marked, easily identifiable and provided at cost. Probably not. But like it or lump it, it is here to stay and so we can just work together to drive people like paugildin-6 and tomli_6 out of the hobby.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Just listened to the podcast segment on the palitoy 41b blue sticker. The stuff on my guide about the Kenner set having figures is wrong. Have amended the blurb on the 41B page to say "There are versions of this card that have a small blue sticker over the (With Figures) text. This is because the Palitoy version of the Star Destroyer playset did not include figures. It is possible that there was a plan to include figures with the playset which later changed, or it was just a mistake that they were going to be included. In some cases the text was scored out with blue biro pen. Presumably this was done in factory before the small blue stickers were available." Have removed the Kenner reference from the 41C page too.

cheers Jason

Taffius

Sith Lord
Listened to the episode again. Congratulations on number 50, great achievement.

One question - where do find the pieces of music? There was one piece that was quite classical/operatic and sounded great that I would love to hear in full. It was around the 2:05:48.

Great production again so many thanks.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great episode as ever.

The ICCC event sounds great, Mike Havens sounds like a genuinely nice guy. Most Comic Con events I've been too are very expensive and the catering facilities are a rip off. Would love to do a tie-in with Gracelands sometime. 

I was thinking the same thing that Richard said when Chris G said his wife was working in Newcastle? I couldn't find a job up there!!

The new Gimcrack contest is very funny but is there a way you can post the pictures of the items before we listen? Could the items be put on the Forum or your Facebook feed so we can see them as we listen to the contest? It may spoil the element of surprise, but I really wish I could see the items in all of their glory/ gory details as you describe them?

Really pleased to hear that business is booming for Iain, great to see a nice thing happening for such a good bloke. He has helped so many collectors over the years nice to hear of a good news story. Especially amongst all of the reports of overblown prices, shameless flipping and people defending repro (!). 

Very enjoyable, appreciate all the hard work.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I would also like to say that Michael Havens came across very well. He may divide opinion on Facebook, but he certainly sounded passionate, positive and generous when promoting his event. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Another great listen, thanks guys.

I enjoyed the debate about repro but have little to add really. I understand that a repro item can be a placeholder or stand in for an unobtainable item in a collection, but IMHO it should be very clearly distinguishable from the real thing. The modern repro's that are getting harder and harder to tell from the real thing can only harm the hobby.

As for 3 legged R2's, I don't think the Cliro soap and bubble bath container were mentioned - two great examples (pics from the internet - not mine).

star-wars-cliro-r2-d2-soap-model-ex_360_a5537f9f39f2514093d41203c06d5207.jpg

1365344860068.jpg

Congrats on the 50th podcast, looking forward to the next 50!

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm still making my way through Episode 46 and thoroughly enjoying the ride.

A highlight for me was the chat with Iain Sanderson. I've had personal dealings with Iain and he's such an easy going, helpfull and friendly fella.

I Also feel his pain of following a bog average football league club. Although mine is a league or two below Ipswich Town.

itfciain

Grand Master
Cheers for all the kind words guys - love speaking with the lads (although not sure about that American twang) - it is pretty hard supporting a very mediocre football team - especially out here where no-one has ever heard of them !

ThinK the VR lads do a fantastic job - to give up so much of their free time is amazing commitment and I for one hope that they go all the way to 100 and more

jared007

Padawan
Great show as usual, still working through it. Thought I would share some pics of the Droid Factory packaging from Star Wars Tracker reference images. These are the Kenner and Kenner Canada variations. One thing I am curious of with the ESB packaging is that Luke appears to be a DT Luke if you look closely at the saber (these images are not high res enough). If that is true, I wonder if the Ben is a DT figure too (though saber can't be seen through the droid of course)

droidFactories.png

And then here's the Palitoy version. As Stu says, the Star Wars logo really stands out on this one.

palitoryDroidFactory.png

I rarely see any listings that claim to be complete for this set. They are all usually missing something. That said, there are two *complete MISB* prices in the Tracker from 2017 - both were graded (one from a recent Hakes.com auction)

dfMISB1.png

dfMISB2.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom