Toys R Us - Goodbye

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
apack7229 said:
subzero said:
apack here's a good idea, turn it into a piece of art, get a load of empty toy boxes and fill up some vintage Toys R Us carrier bags and fill the trolley up with them. :)

That is a good idea.
You could give it a snappy title such as:
Corporate greed or perhaps The desolate high street?
Any more ideas for this work of modern art?

subzero

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
apack7229 said:
subzero said:
apack here's a good idea, turn it into a piece of art, get a load of empty toy boxes and fill up some vintage Toys R Us carrier bags and fill the trolley up with them. :)

That is a good idea.
You could give it a snappy title such as:
Corporate greed or perhaps The desolate high street?
Any more ideas for this work of modern art?

Toys R Bust? :lol:

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
An alternative view perhaps, but good riddance to them. They destroyed virtually every small toy shop in the country in the 80s and 90s by pricing everyone else out of business and then spent the last 10 years over-pricing everything else they sold - I mean, who's buying dvds for £20 these days? The stock always tended to look like it'd been put on the shelves by someone blindfolded and wearing boxing gloves.

Won't be shedding too many tears :lol:

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
apack7229 said:
subzero said:
I'm sensing the most weird and interesting 'latest acquisitions' post coming. :lol:

I might just keep it a secret and let you try to figure it out on your own. :lol: once the weather clears up I'll take a picture.

What you thinking build an x wing or something.

apack7229

Sith Lord
Stubbs said:
apack7229 said:
subzero said:
I'm sensing the most weird and interesting 'latest acquisitions' post coming. :lol:

I might just keep it a secret and let you try to figure it out on your own. :lol: once the weather clears up I'll take a picture.

What you thinking build an x wing or something.

I could put little wings on the sides. :lol:

apack7229

Sith Lord
apack7229 said:
once the weather clears up I'll take a picture.

The weather broke a bit so I took a pic. I feel like an idiot. :lol:

Attachments

• 8DB7091A-FF1C-4DC3-BD1E-983B244268AF.jpeg
    8DB7091A-FF1C-4DC3-BD1E-983B244268AF.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 686

subzero

Sith Lord
apack7229 said:
apack7229 said:
once the weather clears up I'll take a picture.

The weather broke a bit so I took a pic. I feel like an idiot. :lol:

:lol: Omg that's class, it's only one step away from owning a Walmart mobility scooter. :lol:

Think of all the families/kids though who had their Toys R Us memories with their toys in that trolley. :wink:

apack7229

Sith Lord
I went back down to my local toysrus and picked up some more stuff. I also picked up these.

Attachments

• 6323ECD3-7A84-43BA-9A7C-E6FC7B76E359.jpeg
    6323ECD3-7A84-43BA-9A7C-E6FC7B76E359.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 665

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Imagine deep deep deep in some old Toys R Us stock room. Behind years and years of old tat....there is a few boxes of left over of mint vintage MoCs. Oh to dream.....

Got to be some somewhere. We need more Niktos MoC

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Leemcl said:
Imagine deep deep deep in some old Toys R Us stock room. Behind years and years of old tat....there is a few boxes of left over of mint vintage MoCs. Oh to dream.....

There has to be a pallet of Ree Yees lurking around one of these warehouses? :lol:

I used to work for a remainder book store. They bought a bulk load of cheap books and in amongst it was a few cases of Madonna's sex book. At the time they were going for a fortune. So you never know what old stock is out there!!!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Those are quite iconic, did you have to buy them?
How big are they, and what are you going to do with them?
They would look good displayed with the shopping cart as an homage!

apack7229

Sith Lord
I had to pay about $1 each. They're plastic and about 3-4 feet. I'm planing on trying to get more. The shopping cart idea does sound good.

subzero

Sith Lord
Leemcl said:

I'd love to be the guy who discovers that case or box hidden away in a shady corner of an old dusty stock room loaded with rare vintage SW toys, imagine the buzz!

Or even better, to think that out there right now there could even be something as special as an entire locked up unit full of old shop stock, that somebody left locked up and never returned back to and got completely forgotten about for any number of reasons. With these toys not being valuable or collectable at the time when they were new then they could have very easily been forgotten about, so it's likely there's at least one unit out there somewhere full of vintage toys that could get discovered when the old unit/building is targeted to be knocked down or bought up after the owner dies.

In Birmingham there are so many locked & boarded up old units, garages and buildings that look like they haven't been touched in decades, imagine how many there must be in the entire UK that could have some old boxes hidden away. :shock:

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
subzero said:
Leemcl said:

I'd love to be the guy who discovers that case or box hidden away in a shady corner of an old dusty stock room loaded with rare vintage SW toys, imagine the buzz!

Or even better, to think that out there right now there could even be something as special as an entire locked up unit full of old shop stock, that somebody left locked up and never returned back to and got completely forgotten about for any number of reasons. With these toys not being valuable or collectable at the time when they were new then they could have very easily been forgotten about, so it's likely there's at least one unit out there somewhere full of vintage toys that could get discovered when the old unit/building is targeted to be knocked down or bought up after the owner dies.

In Birmingham there are so many locked & boarded up old units, garages and buildings that look like they haven't been touched in decades, imagine how many there must be in the entire UK that could have some old boxes hidden away. :shock:

I've told this story to death before, so sorry if you've heard it before, but it is relevant to your point subzero, and it proves that they were out there in lockups in the mid 90's, I saw my sister and her friend's kid one day in the mid 90's playing with vintage jabbers goons :? and weapons i questioned how he had the weapons with them , my sister said they just bought 4 carded figs down the market off a lady selling greeting cards and the kid opened them straight away and played with them, they threw the cards in the bin :eek: :eek: i said where and shot straight down there as my sister said there were some more left in the box (expensive too at 40p each) , cut a long story short i picked up the below and the lady said there were more in her lockup from years ago when they sold a few toys at the market, said she would try to bring them next week never saw them again and should of chased the lead up , but was young then and not that bothered, more bothered about girls and vw,s :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• DSCF0524.JPG
    DSCF0524.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 842
  • DSCF0525.JPG
    DSCF0525.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 838

Taffius

Sith Lord
apack7229 said:
I had to pay about $1 each. They're plastic and about 3-4 feet. I'm planing on trying to get more. The shopping cart idea does sound good.

Used the shopping cart to tow finds behind you home! Homage to TRU - thats a different focus. :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
bosk70 said:
subzero said:
Leemcl said:

I've told this story to death before, so sorry if you've heard it before, but it is relevant to your point subzero, and it proves that they were out there in lockups in the mid 90's, I saw my sister and her friend's kid one day in the mid 90's playing with vintage jabbers goons :? and weapons i questioned how he had the weapons with them , my sister said they just bought 4 carded figs down the market off a lady selling greeting cards and the kid opened them straight away and played with them, they threw the cards in the bin :eek: :eek: i said where and shot straight down there as my sister said there were some more left in the box (expensive too at 40p each) , cut a long story short i picked up the below and the lady said there were more in her lockup from years ago when they sold a few toys at the market, said she would try to bring them next week never saw them again and should of chased the lead up , but was young then and not that bothered, more bothered about girls and vw,s :lol: :lol: :lol:

No I haven't heard that one mate thanks for telling me, that's amazing it just shows there could be all kinds of sealed boxed stuff and MOC's still out there. 40p each too?? :shock:

And the fact that they were being sold by someone who sells greeting cards shows these now rare toys were once stored away with other 'cheap tat', just common shop items easily forgotten about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom